|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the strategies of the colonialists was to invest _______ and make European activity in Africa respectable.
2. According to the book, the African _______ used European neo-traditions to create a middle class.
3. According to the book, much of European invented tradition arose in the last ________ years of the nineteenth century.
4. During the third period, the monarchy came to represent all of the following qualities except _______.
5. For the assemblage, a/an _______ was built and the seating of Indian rulers was arranged.
(c) Council building.
(d) Royal building.
Short Answer Questions
1. The aspects of ritual dance and performance to be studied include all of the following except ______.
2. During the time of the empress, Indian _______ were ordered into a hierarchy and new titles were created.
3. Africans saw the importance and power of European monarchical and ______ traditions and attempted to use them.
4. According to the book, even ______ resistance movement could not initially dislodge the British.
5. The book states that tradition was manipulated in order to abuse subjects and ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How could the whites who colonized parts of Africa be described, according to the book?
2. Who were the groups of people that mainly imported ideologies that would be used in Africa?
3. What did the committee, headed by Thomas Thornton, seek to replace in India?
4. From 1918 to the time of Queen Elizabeth's coronation, what did the British believe about themselves?
5. Into what had the British turned themselves when they gave their monarch sovereignty over to India?
6. What did the nineteenth century English elites begin to think of the monarchy during that time period?
7. By looking at the ten aspects of rituals, what does David Cannadine believe can be uncovered?
8. How was the cultural system spread in Africa, according to the book?
9. What happened as a result of the African empires coming so late, according to the book?
10. What did Africa not have to offer as a society, which meant that they had to use a monarchy?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)