|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whites allowed some blacks to join the _______ and then employed European invented traditions to exercise power.
(b) Ruling class.
(c) Shipwright class.
(d) Peasant class.
2. Men often used tradition against women in order to establish new ______ norms.
3. In 1857, the _______ cost the Mughal emperor authority and exposed the coercive basis of his power.
(a) Indian Protest.
(b) Indian walk out.
(c) Indian Revolution.
(d) Indian Mutiny.
4. The book suggests that African politicians, nationalists, and ________ were left with ambiguous legacies.
5. Cannadine asserts that during the first period, monarchs could dissolve _______ and vote on membership in the House of Lords.
(b) The House of Representatives.
(c) The United Nations.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the book, the central figure of the assemblage ceremony was Lord Lytton, the _______.
2. The author derides the British media for thinking the rituals are over ______ years old when in fact they are relatively new.
3. In 1877, Queen _______ was crowned Empress of India, effectively removing the last vestiges of power from the Mughal Empire.
4. A committee of the assemblage used Indian cultural symbols to help assert the Queen's authority, thus the ceremony was held in _______, the Mughal capital.
5. The aspects of ritual dance and performance to be studied include all of the following except ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the committee, headed by Thomas Thornton, seek to replace in India?
2. What did Africa not have to offer as a society, which meant that they had to use a monarchy?
3. How did many see the cultural integration when the British were occupying India?
4. What did African chiefs stand to gain from using the neo-traditions being taught to them?
5. How was the cultural system spread in Africa, according to the book?
6. While the monarchical power was limited in the beginning of the British monarchy, what could they do in the first stage?
7. What was the first stage of the British monarchy that occurred between the 1820s and the 1870s, according to the book.?
8. By looking at the ten aspects of rituals, what does David Cannadine believe can be uncovered?
9. How did the Europeans began to create the idea that gentility was respectable?
10. How was the ceremony that incorporated India into Britain used?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)