|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The spread of Highland dress was brought about by the Highland Society in _____ in the eighteenth century.
2. The druids were originally authority figures and bards and were thought to have built _______.
(b) Stone circle.
3. The author suggests that invented traditions have mostly arisen in the last ______ hundred years.
4. The ________ is a set of musical and poetic competitions for which prizes are awarded.
5. The Highland garb adopted by the regiments would be used to invent the tradition of ______ dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. The old Welsh histories held that they were the _____ people of the British Islands.
2. According to ______ Morgan, there were a number of groups and individuals who were involved in preservation of Welsh culture.
3. The people of the Highlands are known as a _______ society.
4. Hobsbawm claims that in Wales a native legal system was abolished and the old _______ was outlawed.
5. Hobsbawm suggests that the 19th century _____ ideology of social change had to have a new tradition to support it, since it didn't fit in old patterns.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the well-written and powerful work about the Scotsmen that contains many colorful illustrations?
2. What did James Macpherson do in order to help invent the history of the Scottish people?
3. Who does the book uncover the Scots to be, unlike what many people today think of the Scottish people?
4. What are the three stages of the Highland tradition's creation?
5. What did Welsh scholars and patriots rediscover about their past as they began to notice interest declining?
6. What is the meaning and the practice of the tradition 'eisteddfod' according to the book?
7. What was the basic type of invented tradition, according to the writer in the book?
8. What are the three different types of invented traditions, according to the book?
9. What is the difference between traditions, customs, and routines, according to the book?
10. Why should historians be more aware of the tradition phenomena that occurs in modern society?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)