|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The book also states that tradition was used by the ______ against the youth, who became susceptible to the Europeans.
2. According to the book, the African _______ used European neo-traditions to create a middle class.
3. There were several ideas for merging the two cultures ritually. One of the experiments had to do with using the anthem "God Save the _____".
4. _______ was spread by the colonial powers in Africa, forming a new cultural system.
5. All of the following people except ______ were extensively involved in the assemblage.
(a) Victoria Brown.
(b) Thomas Thornton.
(c) O.T. Burne.
(d) Lord Lytton.
6. In 1857, the _______ cost the Mughal emperor authority and exposed the coercive basis of his power.
(a) Indian Protest.
(b) Indian walk out.
(c) Indian Mutiny.
(d) Indian Revolution.
7. Cohn suggests that the British spent much of the early ______ century trying to construct rituals that would legitimize British authority.
8. The author claims that ______ was not well suited for royal ceremonies because many buildings were symbols of the wealth and power of the merchant class.
9. The aspects of ritual dance and performance to be studied include all of the following except ______.
(a) The self-image of the nation.
(b) The attitude of the media.
(c) The aesthetic sensibility of the people.
(d) Political power of the monarch.
10. Europeans inside of neo-traditions believed that they had respect for the local _______.
11. The book states that blacks were taught ______ through monarchical traditions.
12. The author states that the last great ceremony in the third period was _________ coronation in 1953.
(a) King Edward VII's.
(b) Queen Elizabeth II's.
(c) Queen Elizabeth I's.
(d) King George VI's.
13. According to the book, _______ III's children made him particularly hated by the public at large.
14. Africans saw the importance and power of European monarchical and ______ traditions and attempted to use them.
15. Blacks were intentionally _______ by the creation of specialized social categories based on European models.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the ceremony, the British authority in India was said to have been created by ________ to do what native authorities could not.
2. The book states that tradition was manipulated in order to abuse subjects and ________.
3. During the third period, ceremonies became symbols of national hope and pride. Large ______ ceremonies for royal children helped to convey this aspect.
4. The English were not the only ones to used monarchical traditions. The ______ also used them.
5. During the time of the empress, Indian _______ were ordered into a hierarchy and new titles were created.
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)