|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, From a Death to a View: The Hunt for the Welsh Past in the Romantic Period.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author asserts that the Anglican literature and the ______ Bible kept the Welsh language from decay.
2. According to the book, the stages of creating the Highland tradition included all of the following elements except _______.
(a) The adoption of new traditions by Lowland Scots.
(b) Cultural revolt against England.
(c) Artificial creation of new Highland traditions.
(d) Cultural revolt against Ireland.
3. According to ______ Morgan, there were a number of groups and individuals who were involved in preservation of Welsh culture.
4. Hobsbawm suggests in the book that the Highland costume changed in the ______ century.
5. The author asserts that one of the factors that made the book so powerful was(were) the _______.
(a) Fact that it was written by a government official.
(c) Color illustrations.
(d) Historical accuracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hobsbawm asserts that the overtly or tacitly accepted rules of traditions must have a ______ nature.
2. In Chapter 2, Hobsbawm asserts that Scotsmen celebrate their identity with common symbols including the kilt and ______.
3. The author claims that the Scots were merely ______ invaders from the fifth century and the Scottish culture was a crude imitation of the invaders.
4. Some of the general values that Hobsbawm suggests are used in invented traditions include ______ and school spirit.
5. The Welsh lineage included all of the following backgrounds with the exception of _______.
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)