|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Context, Performance and Meaning of Ritual, The British Monarchy and the 'Invention of Tradition', c. 1820-1977.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author suggests that one of the aspects of _______ is the fact that they have an ideological function.
2. Hobsbawm makes a point to distinguish traditions from ______, which allow more fluctuation.
3. The author asserts that the Anglican literature and the ______ Bible kept the Welsh language from decay.
4. The invented traditions referred to in question 17 include all of the following types except _______.
(a) Traditions that promote socialization.
(b) Traditions that legitimize institutions of authority.
(c) Traditions that seek to usurp authority.
(d) Traditions that establish or symbolize social cohesion.
5. The book asserts that the creation of invented traditions helps historians make sense of human relations in the _______.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author discusses the history of the kilt, which is also known as the ________.
2. Hobsbawm claims that in Wales a native legal system was abolished and the old _______ was outlawed.
3. After the victory at ______ , the English made several moves to destroy the Highland way of life.
4. The Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge collected Welsh ______ in order to preserve the culture.
5. In the early nineteenth century the Celtic Society of ______ was founded and pushed the Highland cause.
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)