Down: Part One
• The following version of the novel was used to create this Lesson Plan: Whitehead, Colson. The Intuitionist. Anchor Books, 1999.
• Lila Mae Watson is an elevator inspector for the city’s Department of Elevator Inspection. She is an inspector from the “intuitionist” school, who uses intuition to determine the mechanical problems of the elevators they inspect.
• Lila Mae has an extremely high record of accuracy in her inspections.
• Lila Mae arrives to inspect the elevator at 125 Walker.
• She notes the initials of the other inspectors who have checked the elevator in the past, most notably, James Fulton, the late founder of the Institute for Vertical Transport, and Frank Chancre, an “empiricist” and current president of the Elevator Guild, a powerful local political position.
• Lila Mae boards the elevator and “intuits” a mechanical problem, for which she cites the building superintendent.
• The building superintendent in turn attempts...
This section contains 2,853 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)