|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Prince Ring forbidden to go in the giants' home?
2. What does Von Franz refer to as the irrational and feminine essence?
3. Von Franz asserts that the carpet from "The Three Feathers" is a stand in symbolically for what?
4. The carpet arises from what culture, according to Von Franz?
5. What does the princess appear to be when she exits the cellar in "The Three Feathers"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the peasant women in the final challenge of "The Three Feathers"? What is the significance?
2. What does von Franz write of the princess' display at the castle in the Russian "The Three Feathers"?
3. What does von Franz interpret as the meaning of the ring in "The Three Feathers"?
4. What happens in the story "The Bewitched Princess"?
5. What differences are in the setup of the Russian version "The Three Feathers"?
6. Where does Ring travel with Snati-Snati in "Prince Ring"? What challenge do they meet there?
7. What is a common symbol in fairy tales, often leading the hero to a secret place? What meaning is held in this?
8. Where are the prince and princess invited in the Russian version of "The Three Feathers"? What happens?
9. What does Rauder do once Ring succeeds at his mission in "Prince Ring"? How does the story end?
10. What represents the shadow in the story "Prince Ring"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that spirituality plays in Jungian psychology. How does Jung differ from Freud in examining the role of religion or spirituality in the psyche? How does Jungian analysis serve literature differently in this regard?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the process of individuation according to Jungian psychology. How is this process interpreted in fairy tales?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of the publication of Grimm's Fairy Tales. What did this do for historical interest in the fairy tale?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)