|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the final act of "The Three Feathers," the brothers challenge women to jump through what?
2. In number symbolism, odd numbers are what, according to Von Franz?
3. What does the princess turn into in the Russian version of "The Three Feathers"?
4. What does Prince Ring put into the cooking pots of the giants?
5. What color is considered the color of nature, according to Von Franz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the challenge in the finale of "The Three Feathers"?
2. What is the toad representative of in "The Three Feathers," according to von Franz?
3. What represents the shadow in the story "Prince Ring"?
4. What is a common symbol in fairy tales, often leading the hero to a secret place? What meaning is held in this?
5. How does Rauder serve the hero in "Prince Ring"?
6. How does the story "Prince Ring" begin?
7. Where are the prince and princess invited in the Russian version of "The Three Feathers"? What happens?
8. What does von Franz interpret as the meaning of the ring in "The Three Feathers"?
9. What does the hero do to the frog-skin in the Russian "The Three Feathers"? How does the story end?
10. What happens in the story "The Bewitched Princess"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symbolism of the ring imagery in the story "The Three Feathers." What different meanings are ascribed to the ring? How do they apply to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the hero figure in a tale is a figure that represents a restoration of the accord between ego and self, according to von Franz's theory. What steps must the hero take to restore balance?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Christian debate presented in the text. Do they agree or disagree with the author and other theorists regarding Christianty's foundation in myth?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)