|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the prince come upon a woman in "Prince Ring"?
2. Von Franz writes of the hero in the Russian version of "The Three Feathers" that he has overreached, and he lacks the subtlety required to harness one's what?
3. What refers to both a philosophy and an ancient practice focused on the attempt to change base metals into gold?
4. In the final act of "The Three Feathers," the brothers challenge women to jump through what?
5. What refers to the experience of two or more events that are apparently causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a common symbol in fairy tales, often leading the hero to a secret place? What meaning is held in this?
2. What does Dummling's response to the toad mean to von Franz in "The Three Feathers"?
3. Why does von Franz explain the princess is locked in the cellar in "The Three Feathers"?
4. What is the challenge in the finale of "The Three Feathers"?
5. What does the final challenge in "The Three Feathers" signify for von Franz?
6. What represents the shadow in the story "Prince Ring"?
7. How does Rauder serve the hero in "Prince Ring"?
8. What does the number three represent, according to von Franz?
9. What is von Franz's interpretation of Dummling's descent into the trap door in "The Three Feathers"?
10. What does von Franz write of the princess' display at the castle in the Russian "The Three Feathers"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process of individuation according to Jungian psychology. How is this process interpreted in fairy tales?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of religion in "The Three Feathers" according to von Franz's analysis. How are older, Gaea-based religions represented?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that spirituality plays in Jungian psychology. How does Jung differ from Freud in examining the role of religion or spirituality in the psyche? How does Jungian analysis serve literature differently in this regard?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)