|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the adviser to the king in the kingdom Prince Ring and his dog travel?
2. What refers to both a philosophy and an ancient practice focused on the attempt to change base metals into gold?
3. What is the Dummling character renamed as in the Russian version of "The Three Feathers"?
4. What element has long symbolized eternity and longevity, according to Von Franz?
5. What refers to a succession of images, sounds or emotions that the mind experiences during sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the toad representative of in "The Three Feathers," according to von Franz?
2. Where are the prince and princess invited in the Russian version of "The Three Feathers"? What happens?
3. What differences are in the setup of the Russian version "The Three Feathers"?
4. What is the hind symbolic for in "Prince Ring," according to von Franz?
5. What is von Franz's interpretation of Dummling's descent into the trap door in "The Three Feathers"?
6. What represents the shadow in the story "Prince Ring"?
7. What does von Franz interpret as the meaning of the ring in "The Three Feathers"?
8. What does von Franz write of the princess' display at the castle in the Russian "The Three Feathers"?
9. What does von Franz write of the witch and the barrel in "Prince Ring"?
10. What does the hero do to the frog-skin in the Russian "The Three Feathers"? How does the story end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symbolism of the ring imagery in the story "The Three Feathers." What different meanings are ascribed to the ring? How do they apply to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss number symbolism in "The Three Feathers" and other fairy tales studied over the course. How does von Franz establish meaning for the number three?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that paganism or early religion plays in the Russian story "The Three Feathers." How does von Franz associate the transition to Christianity in her interpretation?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)