|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What individual broke the Greek Hercules mythology down and discovered that the myth was made up of a succession of fairy tales?
2. Who contended that fairy tales were of Babylonian origin?
3. Who is the protagonist of "The Three Feathers"?
4. Mythologies and legends differ from fairy tales because they have many what, according to the author?
5. What does the magical toad give to Dummling when they meet in "The Three Feathers"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do archetypal stories arise, according to the author?
2. What mention of Egypt is cited in the origins of fairy tales?
3. How does fairy tale differ from myth?
4. What is the second challenge issued by the king in "The Three Feathers"?
5. What is the opposing position regarding the Christianity/myth theory?
6. What example does von Franz offer to explain the origins of religious ritual in Chapter 2?
7. What suggestion is made regarding Christianity and myth in Chapter 2?
8. What do the brothers do after their father's challenge has begun in "The Three Feathers"? What does Dummling do?
9. In describing the history of the fairy tale and its origins in Chapter 1, what ancient writers are discussed?
10. What debate is established regarding myth and fairy tale in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process of individuation according to Jungian psychology. How is this process interpreted in fairy tales?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Dummling's act of descent in "The Three Feathers." What does von Franz assert this act to mean in Jungian terms? What imagery supports von Franz's interpretation?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of the publication of Grimm's Fairy Tales. What did this do for historical interest in the fairy tale?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)