|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the telling of a fairy tale, there is also often a "bringing back to" what, according to von Franz?
2. Where had Marie-Louise von Franz given the lectures that were the basis of The Interpretation of Fairy Tales?
3. Which Egyptian god was associated with the falcon?
4. What does the king first tell his sons to bring him to prove their worth as heir in "The Three Feathers"?
5. According to Von Franz, when the ego takes over, to the denial of the Self, this leads to what type of behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mention of Egypt is cited in the origins of fairy tales?
2. How does fairy tale differ from myth?
3. What are the "functions of consciousness"? How do they apply to interpretation?
4. What example does von Franz offer to explain the origins of religious ritual in Chapter 2?
5. How does the Jungian system of interpretation differ from other approaches, according to the author?
6. What are the first steps in interpreting a fairy tale?
7. What does von Franz write regarding the Self and ego in Chapter 4?
8. What is the opposing position regarding the Christianity/myth theory?
9. What is the theory of the "decayed myth"?
10. What is the response of the brothers after the ring has been found in "The Three Feathers"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the shadow in the story "Prince Ring." Who is the shadow in this story and how are they assimilated?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the story "The Three Feathers." Where is the setting? What actions take place in the plot? Who is the hero?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Christian debate presented in the text. Do they agree or disagree with the author and other theorists regarding Christianty's foundation in myth?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)