|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who responds the best to stories involving animals, according to the author?
2. At the end of the telling of a fairy tale, there is also often a "bringing back to" what, according to von Franz?
3. Where had Marie-Louise von Franz given the lectures that were the basis of The Interpretation of Fairy Tales?
4. What refers to the masculine essence buried in the unconscious of every woman in Jungian psychology?
5. Von Franz establishes that the first step in evaluating a fairy tale is to determine its what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example does von Franz offer to explain the origins of religious ritual in Chapter 2?
2. What suggestion is made regarding Christianity and myth in Chapter 2?
3. What impact did the Brothers Grimm have on interest in the fairy tale? What efforts were made to trace fairy tale origins?
4. What does von Franz remark of fairy tales involving animals in Chapter 2?
5. What is the second challenge issued by the king in "The Three Feathers"?
6. What does von Franz write of the significance of the fairy tale in psychological meaning in the Preface and Chapter 1?
7. What does von Franz write of Dummling's analysis in "The Three Feathers"?
8. What does the king represent in "The Three Feathers" according to von Franz?
9. What debate is established regarding myth and fairy tale in Chapter 2?
10. Who were some of the early thinkers who associated fairy tales with psychology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of the publication of Grimm's Fairy Tales. What did this do for historical interest in the fairy tale?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the toad and carpet and their symbolic meaning in von Franz's interpretation of "The Three Feathers." What does the author write of color and pattern?
Essay Topic 3
What are the steps of interpreting a fairy tale, according to von Franz? What does one analyze first, second, etc.?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)