|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What element has long symbolized eternity and longevity, according to Von Franz?
2. All fairy tales have what kind of structure?
3. What does Von Franz refer to as the irrational and feminine essence?
4. What refers to a group of systems, traditions, and beliefs which hold that the relative positions of celestial bodies and related details can provide information about personality, human affairs, and other matters?
5. In the final act of "The Three Feathers," the brothers challenge women to jump through what?
(a) A pool.
(b) A fire.
(c) A rainbow.
(d) A ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Prince Ring forbidden to go in the giants' home?
2. What in "The Three Feathers" represents the anima, repressed in the psyche, psychically buried?
3. What does Prince Ring put into the cooking pots of the giants?
4. Von Franz notes that in asking for a carpet in "The Three Feathers," the king is actually asking for what?
5. Von Franz writes that many fairy tales involve the hero following what to a secret and fantastic place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the story "The Bewitched Princess"?
2. What is a common symbol in fairy tales, often leading the hero to a secret place? What meaning is held in this?
3. Why does von Franz explain the princess is locked in the cellar in "The Three Feathers"?
4. What does Rauder do once Ring succeeds at his mission in "Prince Ring"? How does the story end?
5. Where does Ring travel with Snati-Snati in "Prince Ring"? What challenge do they meet there?
6. What is the hind symbolic for in "Prince Ring," according to von Franz?
7. Where are the prince and princess invited in the Russian version of "The Three Feathers"? What happens?
8. What is the significance of the carpet in "The Three Feathers" to von Franz?
9. What represents the shadow in the story "Prince Ring"?
10. What happens to the peasant women in the final challenge of "The Three Feathers"? What is the significance?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)