|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the king first tell his sons to bring him to prove their worth as heir in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) A carpet.
(b) A princess.
(c) A goblet.
(d) A ring.
2. What term is used to refer to the resolution of a story?
3. The author asserts in Chapter 2 that archetypal stories originate from individuals who have episodes in which their what bubbles to the surface?
4. What is the second thing the toad gives to Dummling in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) A goblet.
(b) A toad.
(c) A carpet.
(d) A ring.
5. What did Dummling's feather land on in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) A trap door.
(b) A golden ring.
(c) A unicorn.
(d) A toad.
6. What is the title of the primordial waters of the cosmos, the mother from which the cosmos emerged in Egyptian mythology?
7. Who wrote the work Symbolik des Marchens for which Marie-Louise von Franz contributed interpretation?
(a) Bruno Bettelheim.
(b) Carl Jung.
(c) Hedwig von Beit.
(d) Ernst Federn.
8. What is the third thing that the king orders his sons to find in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) A beautiful woman.
(b) A carpet.
(c) A ring.
(d) A goblet.
9. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) Theories of Fairy Tales.
(b) The Three Feathers.
(c) Shadow, Anima, and Animus in Fairy Tales.
(d) A Method of Psychological Interpretation.
10. In Von Franz' metaphor for myth and fairy tale, what might local sagas or myth be?
11. What is the title of Chapter 4?
(a) "The Three Feathers."
(b) A Tale Interpreted: "The Three Feathers."
(c) Analyzing and Interpreting Fairy Tales.
(d) An Introductory Analysis.
12. Who wrote The Primitive Races of Mankind?
(a) Ludwig Laister.
(b) Adolf Bastian.
(c) Theodor Benfey.
(d) Max Schmidt.
13. What refers to the masculine essence buried in the unconscious of every woman in Jungian psychology?
14. One of the steps in interpreting fairy tales is to establish what among the characters?
15. Carl Jung is often considered the first modern psychologist to state that the human psyche is "by nature" what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author asserts that while the myth bears a specifically _____ character, the fairy tale is free from such constraints.
2. According to Von Franz's analysis of "The Three Feathers," by using feathers to decide the kingdom's fate, the king is leaving matters to what?
3. What Finnish folklorist, professor and developer of the geographic-historic method of folklore research tried to find original versions by judging which tales were the best and most complete?
4. How many sons does the king have in "The Three Feathers"?
5. Who was the king of the gods in Greek mythology?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)