|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, animals in fairy tales are anthropomorphized aspects of what?
(a) Religious imagery.
(b) Human conditions.
(c) Ethnic relations.
(d) Cultural stimulus.
2. What is the title of Chapter 4?
(a) A Tale Interpreted: "The Three Feathers."
(b) An Introductory Analysis.
(c) Analyzing and Interpreting Fairy Tales.
(d) "The Three Feathers."
3. According to Von Franz's analysis of "The Three Feathers," by using feathers to decide the kingdom's fate, the king is leaving matters to what?
(a) His sons.
(c) A frog.
(d) The birds.
4. How many sons does the king have in "The Three Feathers"?
5. What religion is arose from local saga to mythological status, according to the author in Chapter 2?
6. Where does Dummling's feather fly to in "The Three Feathers"?
(d) The floor.
7. Who is named the king's heir in "The Three Feathers"?
8. Who wrote the work Symbolik des Marchens for which Marie-Louise von Franz contributed interpretation?
(a) Bruno Bettelheim.
(b) Hedwig von Beit.
(c) Carl Jung.
(d) Ernst Federn.
9. Which writer of antiquity had a "Beauty and the Beast" type story titled, "Amor and Psyche"?
10. What does the magical toad give to Dummling when they meet in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) A goblet.
(b) A princess.
(c) A carpet.
(d) A ring.
11. According to Freudian psychology, what comprises that organized part of the personality structure that includes defensive, perceptual, intellectual-cognitive, and executive functions.?
12. Where had Marie-Louise von Franz given the lectures that were the basis of The Interpretation of Fairy Tales?
(a) Zurich Psychological Institute.
(b) C.G. Jung Instistute.
(c) Newark Psychological Institute.
(d) Sigmung Freud Institute.
13. The author states that there are those that believe in the theory of the "decayed myth," that is, larger myths "decay" and break down over time, fragmenting into episodes that get retained as what?
14. What did Dummling's feather land on in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) A trap door.
(b) A unicorn.
(c) A toad.
(d) A golden ring.
15. From whom do the brothers buy a carpet in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) A frog.
(b) The queen.
(c) A peasant.
(d) The king.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term is synonymous with Carl Jung's central psychological archetype, the unified consciousness and unconsciousness?
2. Von Franz establishes that the second step in evaluating and interpreting a fairy tale is to determine its what?
3. According to Von Franz, what figure in a tale represents a restoration of the accord between ego and self?
4. Which Egyptian god was associated with the falcon?
5. In Von Franz' metaphor for myth and fairy tale, what might local sagas or myth be?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)