|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion is arose from local saga to mythological status, according to the author in Chapter 2?
2. What term means to break down into constituent parts; dissect; dismantle?
3. What does the magical toad give to Dummling when they meet in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) A goblet.
(b) A ring.
(c) A carpet.
(d) A princess.
4. What is the third thing the toad gives to Dummling in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) A baby toad.
(b) A ring.
(c) A carpet.
(d) A crown.
5. According to Von Franz, when the ego takes over, to the denial of the Self, this leads to what type of behavior?
6. Which Egyptian god was associated with the falcon?
7. According to Freudian psychology, what comprises the unorganized part of the personality structure that contains the basic drives?
8. Marie-Louise von Franz bases much of her interpretation of psychology and fairy tales on whose theories?
(a) Hilde Domin's.
(b) Carl Jung's.
(c) Sigmund Freud's.
(d) Bruno Bettelheim's.
9. From whom do the brothers buy a carpet in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) The queen.
(b) A peasant.
(c) A frog.
(d) The king.
10. Mythologies and legends differ from fairy tales because they have many what, according to the author?
(a) Character types.
(b) Different outcomes.
(c) Story structures.
(d) Cultural overlays.
11. The author asserts that while the myth bears a specifically _____ character, the fairy tale is free from such constraints.
12. Who is the protagonist of "The Three Feathers"?
13. Which individual linked fairy tales to "elementary thoughts" and even "national thoughts," notions that might be precursors to Jung?
(a) Theodor Benfey.
(b) Ludwig Laister.
(c) Kaarle Krohn.
(d) Adolf Bastian.
14. What refers to the masculine essence buried in the unconscious of every woman in Jungian psychology?
15. What is the name of the Native American described in Chapter 2 who, deathly ill, had a vision of a great many horses and a dance of the tribe with those horses?
(a) Black Hawk.
(b) Black Fox.
(c) Black Elk.
(d) Red Horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second thing the toad gives to Dummling in "The Three Feathers"?
2. The author states that there are those that believe in the theory of the "decayed myth," that is, larger myths "decay" and break down over time, fragmenting into episodes that get retained as what?
3. What is the title of the primordial waters of the cosmos, the mother from which the cosmos emerged in Egyptian mythology?
4. In describing the distinction between myth and fairy tale, Von Franz uses a metaphor of a skeleton to what?
5. Who is the author of Types of Folk Tales?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)