|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fairy tales are referred to as what kind of "system," that is, its meaning is contained in the tale itself, and not elsewhere?
2. How many "functions of consciousness" are there in Jungian psychology?
3. Who contended that fairy tales were of Babylonian origin?
(a) Alexander Payne.
(b) Theodor Benfey.
(c) E. Stuck.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
4. In what book was the story "Amor and Psyche" contained?
(a) The Golden Ring.
(b) The Golden Ass.
(c) The Yellow Grass.
(d) The Silver Horn.
5. Who wrote The Primitive Races of Mankind?
(a) Max Schmidt.
(b) Adolf Bastian.
(c) Ludwig Laister.
(d) Theodor Benfey.
6. What is the third thing that the king orders his sons to find in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) A ring.
(b) A carpet.
(c) A goblet.
(d) A beautiful woman.
7. According to Von Franz, what figure in a tale represents a restoration of the accord between ego and self?
8. Carl Jung considered the process of what necessary for a person to become whole?
9. What individual broke the Greek Hercules mythology down and discovered that the myth was made up of a succession of fairy tales?
(a) E. Schywzer.
(b) A. Kohn.
(c) James Warzenberger.
(d) P. Whillmore.
10. What did Dummling's feather land on in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) A toad.
(b) A golden ring.
(c) A unicorn.
(d) A trap door.
11. According to the author, animals in fairy tales are anthropomorphized aspects of what?
(a) Human conditions.
(b) Religious imagery.
(c) Ethnic relations.
(d) Cultural stimulus.
12. Who is the protagonist of "The Three Feathers"?
13. Mythologies and legends differ from fairy tales because they have many what, according to the author?
(a) Cultural overlays.
(b) Different outcomes.
(c) Story structures.
(d) Character types.
14. What term is typically used to refer to polytheistic religious traditions, although from a Christian perspective the term can encompass all non-Abrahamic religions?
15. Where does Dummling's feather fly to in "The Three Feathers"?
(d) The floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third thing the toad gives to Dummling in "The Three Feathers"?
2. Who developed the hypothesis of the "collective unconscious"?
3. From whom do the brothers buy a carpet in "The Three Feathers"?
4. What is the second thing the toad gives to Dummling in "The Three Feathers"?
5. In the Preface of The Interpretation of Fairy Tales, Marie-Louise von Franz writes that this book is based on lectures she gave over how many years ago?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)