|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion is arose from local saga to mythological status, according to the author in Chapter 2?
2. According to the author, animals in fairy tales are anthropomorphized aspects of what?
(a) Religious imagery.
(b) Ethnic relations.
(c) Cultural stimulus.
(d) Human conditions.
3. Who published the fairy tale "The Three Feathers"?
(a) Michael Anderson.
(b) Brothers Grimm.
(c) Johann Brahms.
4. What German philosopher, theologian, poet, and literary critic is associated with the periods of Enlightenment, Sturm und Drang, and Weimar Classicism?
(a) Andrew Warner.
(b) Artur Dinter.
(c) Alexander Pushkin.
(d) Johann Herder.
5. Who wrote the work Symbolik des Marchens for which Marie-Louise von Franz contributed interpretation?
(a) Hedwig von Beit.
(b) Ernst Federn.
(c) Bruno Bettelheim.
(d) Carl Jung.
6. According to Von Franz, when the ego takes over, to the denial of the Self, this leads to what type of behavior?
7. Carl Jung is often considered the first modern psychologist to state that the human psyche is "by nature" what?
8. In Von Franz' metaphor for myth and fairy tale, what might local sagas or myth be?
9. Where does Dummling find the magical toad in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) Behind the secret door.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In an enchanted forest.
(d) In a witch's house.
10. What term refers to an original model of a person, ideal example, or a prototype upon which others are copied, patterned, or emulated?
11. What German brothers are important in the history of the fairy tale, as they collected, standardized, and then popularized European folk tales?
12. In describing the distinction between myth and fairy tale, Von Franz uses a metaphor of a skeleton to what?
13. Theodor Benfey traced all fairy tales to where?
14. The Jungian "Self" relates most to which Freudian concept?
15. What is the second object the king asks his sons to find in "The Three Feathers"?
(a) A ring.
(b) A goblet.
(c) A carpet.
(d) A princess.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is it suggested by the author in Chapter 2 that Jesus was the spiritual successor of which Egyptian god?
2. What Finnish folklorist, professor and developer of the geographic-historic method of folklore research tried to find original versions by judging which tales were the best and most complete?
3. What does the king first tell his sons to bring him to prove their worth as heir in "The Three Feathers"?
4. What is the second thing the toad gives to Dummling in "The Three Feathers"?
5. What is the title of Chapter 4?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)