|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What knowledge does Teresa say is the cause of intellectual visions?
2. How does Teresa qualify the marriage?
3. What does Teresa say the spirit of evil does?
4. What does Teresa warn against about emotions from the Sixth Dwelling?
5. What does Teresa say intensifies the pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frustration comes to Teresa as she progresses in intimacy with God?
2. What tokens does Teresa say God gives to help recall the raptures?
3. How does Teresa describe the rapture of the Sixth Dwelling?
4. How does Teresa describe intellectual visions?
5. What is a recommendation of Teresa's on meditation?
6. Even at this high state, what caution does Teresa offer?
7. What occasions the intensity of greater pain during this time of greater closeness to God?
8. What are the six reasons not to ask for a gift that another person has been given.
9. What recommendation does Teresa make regarding commands that will affect others?
10. How does one recognize a vision not from God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on what prayer means to you. Explain whether you agree with Teresa of Avila that prayer involves introspection that goes along with the vocal words. In addition, mention the idea of prayer being a way of listening rather than demanding favors.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of honest disagreement. In your paper, mention how you see value in exchanging differing ideas with other people. Discuss the value one gets from hearing other points of view and how it helps to increase both knowledge and perspective.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on overcoming past mistakes. Teresa talks about being so caught up in guilt over past mistakes that people often become incapacitated. In your essay apply that principal to anything a person might aspire to do but is hindered by fear of making errors along the way.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)