|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teresa say intensifies the pain?
2. Ending the Chapter on the Sixth Dwelling, what is Teresa's emphasis on?
3. What does Teresa tell her sisters will be their best way of teaching those who know them?
4. What overwhelming emotion does Teresa go on to discuss in Dwelling Six?
5. Why does Teresa insist she should not be pitied?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does one recognize a vision not from God?
2. What is a recommendation of Teresa's on meditation?
3. Describe the esoteric talisman Teresa uses as an analogy to one's faith.
4. What does Teresa have to say about tears that spring form the raptures?
5. What encouragement to her sisters does Teresa use to conclude her book?
6. What communion does Teresa say trials at this level bring about?
7. How has joy given Teresa a kind of death?
8. How does Teresa describe the soul as it comes into its most intimate contact with God?
9. What revelation comes to Teresa at the center of herself while in communion with God?
10. What tokens does Teresa say God gives to help recall the raptures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on what prayer means to you. Explain whether you agree with Teresa of Avila that prayer involves introspection that goes along with the vocal words. In addition, mention the idea of prayer being a way of listening rather than demanding favors.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the concept of the difficulty of living a Christian life. In the essay mention opposites such as humility versus arrogance. State your opinions on how the positive principles in Christian living make for better personal characteristics.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating your opinion of mysticism in general and Christian mysticism in particular. In your essay discuss the possibility of having one without the other. Use examples of Christian mysticism from the book.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)