|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the benefit of this marriage that is still not complete?
2. With whom does Teresa suggest the sisters share such intense relationships with God?
3. What examples does Teresa give of others who were once thought mad because of their intense relationship with God?
4. What does Teresa warn against about emotions from the Sixth Dwelling?
5. Why does Teresa say the experiences of such close communion with God cannot be fully explained?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Teresa identify as a reward for enduring trials of the Sixth Dwelling?
2. What revelation comes to Teresa at the center of herself while in communion with God?
3. How does Teresa describe the soul as it comes into its most intimate contact with God?
4. What recommendation does Teresa make regarding commands that will affect others?
5. What is the experience in the rapture that requires bravery?
6. At this Seventh Dwelling stage, how are Teresa's experiences with god different?
7. How does Teresa describe intellectual visions?
8. What communion does Teresa say trials at this level bring about?
9. Describe the esoteric talisman Teresa uses as an analogy to one's faith.
10. Even at this high state, what caution does Teresa offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Teresa with Joan of Arc who was burned at the stake for hearing voices giving her instruction for liberating her people. Teresa skirts that same issue in her book by warning her sisters to be careful about telling their mystic experiences to others and by her relief that her instruction now comes more quietly and less often in public. In your essay show how reaction to mysticism has historically been marked by superstition and prejudice.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on overcoming past mistakes. Teresa talks about being so caught up in guilt over past mistakes that people often become incapacitated. In your essay apply that principal to anything a person might aspire to do but is hindered by fear of making errors along the way.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on visions versus hallucinations. In your essay give examples of what some refer to as visions and examples of hallucinations such as those brought on through the use of drugs. State your opinion as to the validity of visions. Do you support the idea that they come from some higher place or do you think that people see in visions what they want to see?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)