|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If a voice she hears causes her to linger in worship and increases her devotion, what conclusion does Teresa draw?
2. Why does Teresa insist she should not be pitied?
3. For whom does she remember to pray as she approaches her Beloved?
4. What does Teresa say the encounters with God feel like?
5. What question asked of the sons of Zebedee is Teresa finally able to answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What limitation is on the marriage Teresa speaks of in the Seventh Dwelling?
2. What are the beneficial effects of spiritual pain on the earthly body?
3. What frustration comes to Teresa as she progresses in intimacy with God?
4. What encouragement to her sisters does Teresa use to conclude her book?
5. What does Teresa say about remaining humble in light of the temporary nature of the world?
6. How has joy given Teresa a kind of death?
7. Describe the esoteric talisman Teresa uses as an analogy to one's faith.
8. What is a recommendation of Teresa's on meditation?
9. How does Teresa describe the soul as it comes into its most intimate contact with God?
10. At this Seventh Dwelling stage, how are Teresa's experiences with god different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about obedience. Use Teresa's insistence on being obedient to her spiritual advisers and superiors. In your essay either defend the idea of religious obedience or offer your objections to the idea. This is not an essay that has a right answer or a wrong one. It is your opinion and, therefore, cannot be wrong. The essay is marked on how well you present your case.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the concept of the difficulty of living a Christian life. In the essay mention opposites such as humility versus arrogance. State your opinions on how the positive principles in Christian living make for better personal characteristics.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on spiritual values. In your essay mention such things a love, honesty, respect, and industry as values that improve quality of life when dealing with others. Discuss how such values are possible apart from religious convictions.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)