|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is her soul doing as she approaches the Beloved?
2. How do imaginative visions embed themselves into the soul?
3. What does Teresa say about following one's lofty promises made to God in moments of worship?
4. On what does Teresa suggest one meditates when in the state of sorrow for their past transgressions?
5. About what does Teresa suggest getting advice if one is commanded to do something during the Sixth Dwelling experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the esoteric talisman Teresa uses as an analogy to one's faith.
2. What limitation is on the marriage Teresa speaks of in the Seventh Dwelling?
3. What communion does Teresa say trials at this level bring about?
4. What are the six reasons not to ask for a gift that another person has been given.
5. How does Teresa explain the anguish and unrest of the soul in the Sixth Dwelling?
6. What frustration comes to Teresa as she progresses in intimacy with God?
7. How does Teresa describe intellectual visions?
8. What admission does Teresa make regarding the hearing of voices?
9. What is a recommendation of Teresa's on meditation?
10. What occasions the intensity of greater pain during this time of greater closeness to God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about obedience. Use Teresa's insistence on being obedient to her spiritual advisers and superiors. In your essay either defend the idea of religious obedience or offer your objections to the idea. This is not an essay that has a right answer or a wrong one. It is your opinion and, therefore, cannot be wrong. The essay is marked on how well you present your case.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the contributions of truly religious people. Discuss the contributions of those who actually practice their religious principles as opposed to those who merely put on a show of being religious. Use Teresa of Avila as an example.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating your opinion of mysticism in general and Christian mysticism in particular. In your essay discuss the possibility of having one without the other. Use examples of Christian mysticism from the book.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)