|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As intimacy grows deeper, how are experiences of God measured?
2. What metaphor does Teresa introduce about the Fifth Dwelling?
3. How is the soul once it moves into the Second Dwelling?
4. What does Teresa warn against regarding spiritual affectations?
5. What must be understood if the thoughts that serve as distractions are from a spirit of evil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe briefly the trial that accompanies arrival in the Sixth Dwelling.
2. How does Teresa describe the Prayer of Union?
3. What reservation does Teresa have about writing on the subject of prayer?
4. What lament does Teresa offer for those who never experience a relationship with God?
5. What explanation does Teresa give in her prologue?
6. Describe what Teresa saw in her vision about how to write the book?
7. How does Teresa evaluate those who serve but do not work at elevating their understanding of God?
8. How does Teresa describe establishing and maintaining intimacy with God?
9. What does Teresa say about what is gained during the difficult times in life?
10. How has Teresa handled fear and weakness on her part in the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay stating your opinion of mysticism in general and Christian mysticism in particular. In your essay discuss the possibility of having one without the other. Use examples of Christian mysticism from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of analogies in explaining certain points. Select a topic and give an example of how an analogy makes your point about that topic easier to understand. For example, building a career might be analogous to building a house, starting with the foundation of a good education.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on spiritual values. In your essay mention such things a love, honesty, respect, and industry as values that improve quality of life when dealing with others. Discuss how such values are possible apart from religious convictions.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)