|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition does Teresa suggest a soul is in when it turns away from a life of prayer?
2. What does Teresa stress at the beginning of her treatise?
3. What does Teresa say about good works done outside of communion with God ?
4. Where does Teresa say her words come from?
5. What does Teresa classify as a sign of the intention to draw ever closer to God?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Teresa say a sister can insure her devotion to God?
2. What does Teresa prescribe as a means of passing any test of her faith and devotion?
3. How does Teresa describe establishing and maintaining intimacy with God?
4. What does Teresa say about a nun who is entangled with the cares of the world?
5. What indicates Teresa's Christian mysticism as she begins her book?
6. How does Teresa evaluate those who serve but do not work at elevating their understanding of God?
7. What reservation does Teresa have about writing on the subject of prayer?
8. What is Teresa's conclusion on how she will proceed with the writing?
9. What caution does Teresa offer about imagining one has gifts from God that have not actually been bestowed?
10. What explanation does Teresa give in her prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about obedience. Use Teresa's insistence on being obedient to her spiritual advisers and superiors. In your essay either defend the idea of religious obedience or offer your objections to the idea. This is not an essay that has a right answer or a wrong one. It is your opinion and, therefore, cannot be wrong. The essay is marked on how well you present your case.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of holding onto convictions. In this essay you are not speaking exclusively about religious convictions. Define what happens to a person who behaves in a contradictory way to any values he or she holds to be right. These values may be ethical, political, or religious.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating your opinion of mysticism in general and Christian mysticism in particular. In your essay discuss the possibility of having one without the other. Use examples of Christian mysticism from the book.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)