|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does Teresa use to discuss spiritual consolations?
2. When is it good for the rich to desire more wealth?
3. What, according to Teresa, is the value of continuously reflecting on one's own character?
4. In her metaphor, how does Teresa explain dying to one's personal desires?
5. What does she say is at the center of the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Teresa say a sister can insure her devotion to God?
2. What reservation does Teresa have about writing on the subject of prayer?
3. What does Teresa prescribe as a means of passing any test of her faith and devotion?
4. Explain how the seeker receives the spiritual sweetness.
5. What does Teresa say about the rich man who has lost his wealth?
6. Briefly summarize the pain of the Fifth Dwelling.
7. How does Teresa say a seeker will know if she is truly humble?
8. How does Teresa describe the Prayer of Union?
9. How does Teresa evaluate those who serve but do not work at elevating their understanding of God?
10. What indicates Teresa's Christian mysticism as she begins her book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about obedience. Use Teresa's insistence on being obedient to her spiritual advisers and superiors. In your essay either defend the idea of religious obedience or offer your objections to the idea. This is not an essay that has a right answer or a wrong one. It is your opinion and, therefore, cannot be wrong. The essay is marked on how well you present your case.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about your idea of faith. Give your definition of faith and explain its value to you personally. Be honest with your essay. This is not marked on the basis of agreement with your ideas but rather on how well you state your case.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the value of honest disagreement. In your paper, mention how you see value in exchanging differing ideas with other people. Discuss the value one gets from hearing other points of view and how it helps to increase both knowledge and perspective.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)