|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teresa say inhabits the outside of the castle?
2. In the Sixth Dwelling, what does Teresa describe pertaining to the bride?
3. Why does Teresa stress that the most important thing is to bind one's will to the will of God instead of seeking some particular blessing?
4. How does Teresa say most people make decisions and judgments?
5. Where is the Carmelite Convent of St. Joseph's
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Teresa evaluate those who serve but do not work at elevating their understanding of God?
2. In what way does Teresa say a sister can insure her devotion to God?
3. What indicates Teresa's Christian mysticism as she begins her book?
4. What is Teresa's conclusion on how she will proceed with the writing?
5. Briefly summarize the pain of the Fifth Dwelling.
6. What does Teresa say about what is gained during the difficult times in life?
7. What does Teresa say about the rich man who has lost his wealth?
8. Describe briefly the trial that accompanies arrival in the Sixth Dwelling.
9. What is Teresa's feeling after leaving the Prayer of Union?
10. Explain how the seeker receives the spiritual sweetness.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Teresa with Joan of Arc who was burned at the stake for hearing voices giving her instruction for liberating her people. Teresa skirts that same issue in her book by warning her sisters to be careful about telling their mystic experiences to others and by her relief that her instruction now comes more quietly and less often in public. In your essay show how reaction to mysticism has historically been marked by superstition and prejudice.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of honest disagreement. In your paper, mention how you see value in exchanging differing ideas with other people. Discuss the value one gets from hearing other points of view and how it helps to increase both knowledge and perspective.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating your opinion of mysticism in general and Christian mysticism in particular. In your essay discuss the possibility of having one without the other. Use examples of Christian mysticism from the book.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)