|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teresa suggest is the true test of the soul's capacity?
2. What, according to Teresa, is the value of continuously reflecting on one's own character?
3. In her metaphor, how does Teresa explain dying to one's personal desires?
4. What does Teresa say happens in the Fourth Dwelling?
5. After the Prayer of Union, where does the sister realize she was?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Teresa say a sister can insure her devotion to God?
2. How has Teresa handled fear and weakness on her part in the past?
3. What caution does Teresa offer about imagining one has gifts from God that have not actually been bestowed?
4. How does Teresa introduce her analogy of the silkworm?
5. How does Teresa say a seeker will know if she is truly humble?
6. How does Teresa describe the Prayer of Union?
7. What lament does Teresa offer for those who never experience a relationship with God?
8. How does Teresa describe establishing and maintaining intimacy with God?
9. What does Teresa say about a nun who is entangled with the cares of the world?
10. What explanation does Teresa give in her prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on visions versus hallucinations. In your essay give examples of what some refer to as visions and examples of hallucinations such as those brought on through the use of drugs. State your opinion as to the validity of visions. Do you support the idea that they come from some higher place or do you think that people see in visions what they want to see?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of holding onto convictions. In this essay you are not speaking exclusively about religious convictions. Define what happens to a person who behaves in a contradictory way to any values he or she holds to be right. These values may be ethical, political, or religious.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Teresa's imagery, metaphors, and analogies. In your essay state your opinion as to whether she uses these devices too much or if they make her points more understandable. Point out the limits to any comparison by showing examples from the book.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)