|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do souls rightly handling spiritual trials do?
2. What do many people do to prevent them from moving into the Fifth Dwelling?
3. With whom does Teresa find comfort during this time?
4. How does she refer to God?
5. What is the composition of the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe briefly the trial that accompanies arrival in the Sixth Dwelling.
2. What caution does Teresa offer about imagining one has gifts from God that have not actually been bestowed?
3. How does Teresa introduce her analogy of the silkworm?
4. What does Teresa prescribe as a means of passing any test of her faith and devotion?
5. How does Teresa say a seeker will know if she is truly humble?
6. How has Teresa handled fear and weakness on her part in the past?
7. What explanation does Teresa give in her prologue?
8. Describe Teresa's view of the company she should keep.
9. What is Teresa's olfactory analogy for what she calls spiritual sweetness?
10. What does Teresa say about what is gained during the difficult times in life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the idea that prayer is different for women than for men. Explain the order given to Teresa to write her book for women because women understand each other better. Does that idea hold up today? Explain differences between 16th and 21st Century concepts.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on what prayer means to you. Explain whether you agree with Teresa of Avila that prayer involves introspection that goes along with the vocal words. In addition, mention the idea of prayer being a way of listening rather than demanding favors.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the value of honest disagreement. In your paper, mention how you see value in exchanging differing ideas with other people. Discuss the value one gets from hearing other points of view and how it helps to increase both knowledge and perspective.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)