|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Teresa say she was doing that sometimes caused her to forget the simple guideline of getting to God?
(a) thinking too much about Christ
(b) meditating too long on the saints
(c) working on her writing
(d) seeking the consolations of prayer
2. What does Teresa say about following one's lofty promises made to God in moments of worship?
(a) They require action.
(b) They require re-evaluation.
(c) They are soon forgotten by God.
(d) They are no longer necessary.
3. What knowledge does Teresa say is the cause of intellectual visions?
(a) that God is always watching
(b) that she has been there before
(c) that she was taught these things
(d) that God uses both mind and soul
4. In those moments of ecstasy, how is the soul whisked away by God?
(a) on a white horse
(b) lifted by angels
(c) with startling speed
(d) in a flash of light
5. Where might the voices heard during meditation come from according to Teresa?
(a) heavenly choirs
(b) souls in Purgatory
(c) a source that is less than divine
(d) external sounds in the background
Short Answer Questions
1. What, does Teresa say, is the distinction between this rapture and the last in Dwelling Five?
2. What do those closest to God experience?
3. What does Teresa say the encounters with God feel like?
4. What is her soul doing as she approaches the Beloved?
5. What does Teresa recognize is the only thing that can pull her from her God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the comfort at the Sixth Dwelling level of intimacy with God?
2. What is a recommendation of Teresa's on meditation?
3. What is the experience in the rapture that requires bravery?
4. What limitation is on the marriage Teresa speaks of in the Seventh Dwelling?
5. How does Teresa describe the soul as it comes into its most intimate contact with God?
6. What communion does Teresa say trials at this level bring about?
7. What admission does Teresa make regarding the hearing of voices?
8. What does Teresa have to say about tears that spring form the raptures?
9. How has joy given Teresa a kind of death?
10. What encouragement to her sisters does Teresa use to conclude her book?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)