|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Teresa suggest looking for in a spiritual adviser?
(a) one who can keep a confidence
(b) one who is both educated and discerning
(c) one who believes in miracles
(d) one who has had similar experiences with prayer
2. In those moments of ecstasy, how is the soul whisked away by God?
(a) with startling speed
(b) lifted by angels
(c) in a flash of light
(d) on a white horse
3. What does Teresa say the soul engages in after the espousal in Dwelling Six?
(a) painful lamenting
(b) over indulgence
(c) days of solitude
(d) radiant celebration
4. How does Teresa explain the passage through the dwellings that happen for others?
(a) not exactly as she describes them for everyone
(b) exactly like they happened to her
(c) the same as her experience but with different metaphors
(d) as totally different from her experience
5. If a voice she hears causes her to linger in worship and increases her devotion, what conclusion does Teresa draw?
(a) it is an echo of her thoughts
(b) it is a passed trial of distraction
(c) it it divine
(d) it was not something heard, after all
Short Answer Questions
1. What knowledge gives Teresa comfort?
2. How does Teresa describe the ember in the soul--some thought that spreads its flame through the entire soul?
3. What is the source of the pain Teresa describes?
4. What serves to intensify the scrutiny with which she views herself and considers her own shortcomings?
5. What do those closest to God experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Teresa describe intellectual visions?
2. How does Teresa describe the rapture of the Sixth Dwelling?
3. What frustration comes to Teresa as she progresses in intimacy with God?
4. What limitation is on the marriage Teresa speaks of in the Seventh Dwelling?
5. What revelation comes to Teresa at the center of herself while in communion with God?
6. What admission does Teresa make regarding the hearing of voices?
7. What are the six reasons not to ask for a gift that another person has been given.
8. What does Teresa have to say about tears that spring form the raptures?
9. Describe the esoteric talisman Teresa uses as an analogy to one's faith.
10. What is the experience in the rapture that requires bravery?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)