|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when God presses the glowing ember into her soul?
(a) It makes her glow fiery red.
(b) She feels pleasure instead of pain.
(c) It does not catch fire.
(d) She falls like a heap of ashes.
2. After doing something wrong, what amazes Teresa?
(a) She still has the keys to the castle.
(b) God does not leave the castle.
(c) She is not thrown out of the castle.
(d) She can get back into the castle.
3. What does Teresa suggest looking for in a spiritual adviser?
(a) one who can keep a confidence
(b) one who has had similar experiences with prayer
(c) one who is both educated and discerning
(d) one who believes in miracles
4. What knowledge does Teresa say is the cause of intellectual visions?
(a) that God uses both mind and soul
(b) that she was taught these things
(c) that she has been there before
(d) that God is always watching
5. In those moments of ecstasy, how is the soul whisked away by God?
(a) lifted by angels
(b) on a white horse
(c) with startling speed
(d) in a flash of light
Short Answer Questions
1. What question asked of the sons of Zebedee is Teresa finally able to answer?
2. For whom does she remember to pray as she approaches her Beloved?
3. According to Teresa, what is the condition when voices are heard?
4. What does Teresa say the encounters with God feel like?
5. In that rapture, what does Teresa say she is allowed to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Teresa say about remaining humble in light of the temporary nature of the world?
2. How does Teresa explain the anguish and unrest of the soul in the Sixth Dwelling?
3. At this Seventh Dwelling stage, how are Teresa's experiences with god different?
4. What communion does Teresa say trials at this level bring about?
5. What revelation comes to Teresa at the center of herself while in communion with God?
6. What admission does Teresa make regarding the hearing of voices?
7. How does Teresa describe the physical state of the body during her raptures?
8. What is the experience in the rapture that requires bravery?
9. What limitation is on the marriage Teresa speaks of in the Seventh Dwelling?
10. Describe the metaphor of the ember in preparing one for marriage to God.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)