|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does she say is not prayer at all?
(a) praying while standing up
(b) praying to God as though He were a servant
(c) always asking God for favors
(d) rambling on about mundane matters
2. What vision does Teresa have that gives her the idea of how to proceed with the book?
(a) a vision of St. Joseph
(b) a vision of prayer
(c) a vision of a castle
(d) a vision of a winding road
3. What is the composition of the castle?
(a) brick and mortor
(b) cedars from Lebanon
(c) solid, carved stone
(d) diamond or some clear crystal
4. What condition does Teresa suggest a soul is in when it turns away from a life of prayer?
(a) in a world of confusion
(b) being outside not able to find the door
(c) in a state of grave error
(d) being free to examine itself
5. What is the most important quality of someone wishing to move deeper?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a second metaphor of spiritual consolation?
2. Even at this stage, what does Teresa say God allows?
3. How does Teresa advise her sisters they can stay humble?
4. What does Teresa say about good works done outside of communion with God ?
5. In this Fifth Dwelling state, what does the supplicant now desire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caution does Teresa offer about imagining one has gifts from God that have not actually been bestowed?
2. In what way does Teresa say a sister can insure her devotion to God?
3. How does Teresa say a seeker will know if she is truly humble?
4. What does Teresa have to say about expectations and rewards for service to God?
5. Explain how the seeker receives the spiritual sweetness.
6. What does Teresa have to say about mastering one's earthly appetites?
7. What does Teresa prescribe as a means of passing any test of her faith and devotion?
8. How does Teresa describe establishing and maintaining intimacy with God?
9. What explanation does Teresa give in her prologue?
10. What theme does Teresa introduce in her first chapter that runs throughout the book?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)