|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Carmelite Convent of St. Joseph's
(a) Madrid, Spain
(b) Valencia, Spain
(c) Barcelona, Spain
(d) Toledo, Spain
2. What condition does Teresa suggest a soul is in when it turns away from a life of prayer?
(a) in a world of confusion
(b) in a state of grave error
(c) being free to examine itself
(d) being outside not able to find the door
3. What is Teresa's metaphor of the tree transplanted into a smelly bog?
(a) a soul able to clean up the smelly bog
(b) a soul in need of others to join in changing the world
(c) a soul purposefully removed from the grace of God
(d) a soul seeking to give life to the world
4. What is the composition of the castle?
(a) diamond or some clear crystal
(b) cedars from Lebanon
(c) brick and mortor
(d) solid, carved stone
5. What must the formerly rich man do when he is reduced to poverty?
(a) take up a new religion
(b) to maintain faith that God works wisely for his good
(c) realize that he has sinned
(d) curse God and die
Short Answer Questions
1. In her metaphor, how does Teresa explain dying to one's personal desires?
2. How does Teresa classify those who have reached the Third Dwelling?
3. What does she say is inside the castle?
4. What do many people do to prevent them from moving into the Fifth Dwelling?
5. What does Teresa suggest might be offered as a temptation in the second dwelling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Teresa give in her prologue?
2. What does Teresa have to say about inept spiritual advisers?
3. In what way does Teresa explain the Prayer of Recollection?
4. What does Teresa say about what is gained during the difficult times in life?
5. What does Teresa have to say about mastering one's earthly appetites?
6. Explain how the seeker receives the spiritual sweetness.
7. Describe what Teresa saw in her vision about how to write the book?
8. In what way does Teresa say a sister can insure her devotion to God?
9. How does Teresa describe establishing and maintaining intimacy with God?
10. How does Teresa classify the greatest need in gaining a high level of intimacy with God?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)