|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Equiano on shipboard on October 6?
(a) He falls overboard.
(b) His turkeys die.
(c) He curses the ship and it sinks.
(d) He feels "born again," spiritually.
2. What happens to the first season of crops at Dr. Irving's plantation?
(a) Half the crop is burned down by the Spanish.
(b) Half the crop is washed away during the rainy season.
(c) Half the crop is eaten by crows.
(d) The entire crop is burned down by the French.
3. What else goes wrong with the Sierra Leone project?
(a) The ships all wreck because sailors curse them.
(b) The ships get lost.
(c) The former slaves decide they don't want to go back to Africa.
(d) Many of the slaves die because there aren't adequate provisions.
4. While Equiano is getting everyone off the Nancy and to safety, what are the white crew members doing?
(a) Nailing the hatches shut.
(b) Doing whatever Equiano tells them.
(c) Getting drunk.
(d) Staying on board to "go down with the ship."
5. When the crew of the Nancy sees another ship, what do they learn from the crew of that ship?
(a) There are cannibals on the islands around them.
(b) They are in the Bermuda Triangle and will never get out alive.
(c) They are sailing in fresh water, so they should put down their buckets where they are.
(d) The crew of the other ship is stranded too.
6. What order does Phillips give that would have cost the lives of many slaves?
(a) Phillips orders the hatches to be nailed shut.
(b) Phillips orders that the slaves do all the work of rebuilding the ship without any help from the crew.
(c) Phillips orders that the slaves test the drinking water on the island.
(d) Phillips orders that the slaves be given no food.
7. How much money does the dying man turn out to have in his fortune?
8. What religious group does Equiano do a lot of business with in Philadelphia?
(c) Catholic monks.
9. What book does Equiano receive after a conversation about Christianity?
(a) "The Conversion of an African."
(b) "The Hairdresser's Guide to Spiritual Life."
(c) "The Pilgrim's Progress."
(d) "The Conversion of an Indian."
10. What does Equiano become convinced is necessary for salvation?
(a) Faith, hope, and charity.
(b) Manumission and education.
(c) Faith, love, and obedience.
(d) Music, art, and poetry.
11. What sight does Equiano find strange in Turkey?
(a) Women wearing veils.
(b) Slaves wearing veils.
(c) Men wearing veils.
(d) Turkeys roaming the streets freely because they are sacred.
12. Who does Equiano blame for the failure of his attempted conversion of the Native American?
(b) Dr. Irving.
13. How does Dr. Irving die?
(a) From a poisonous snake bite.
(b) Killed in battle with the French.
(d) Eating a poisoned fish.
14. What new profession does Equiano learn in England?
15. How does the crew of Mulgrave's expedition survive?
(a) They saw through the ice to keep enough water around the ship to prevent it from being completely stuck.
(b) Equiano and the first mate tie the captain up and take over the ship.
(c) They kill the whale and use its body to keep the ship afloat.
(d) They chase off the Eskimos with cannon fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the English government start an expedition to Sierra Leone?
2. Why does Equiano brings turkeys on the ship instead of bulls?
3. On the way to Cadiz, when Equiano's ship crashes into the rocks, how does Equiano amaze everyone?
4. What minister does Equiano hear preach in Philadelphia?
5. What boring job does Equiano hold before returning to the sea in 1784?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)