|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sight does Equiano find strange in Turkey?
(a) Slaves wearing veils.
(b) Women wearing veils.
(c) Turkeys roaming the streets freely because they are sacred.
(d) Men wearing veils.
2. What is the profession of the dying man who Captain Farmer cares for in his illness?
3. Why does the English government start an expedition to Sierra Leone?
(a) To explore the Amazon.
(b) To search for gold.
(c) To return former slaves to Africa.
(d) To increase the slave trade.
4. What happens to the first season of crops at Dr. Irving's plantation?
(a) The entire crop is burned down by the French.
(b) Half the crop is washed away during the rainy season.
(c) Half the crop is burned down by the Spanish.
(d) Half the crop is eaten by crows.
5. How does the ship Nancy get wrecked?
(a) The Nancy is smashed by a large white whale.
(b) The Nancy hits rocks and gets stuck on them.
(c) The mast of the Nancy is struck by lightening and most of the ship burns, then it sinks.
(d) The Nancy capsizes in a storm.
6. Why does Equiano brings turkeys on the ship instead of bulls?
(a) Equiano's bulls die before he can get them on the ship.
(b) Farmer goes back on his promise to allow Equiano to bring the bulls on board.
(c) Equiano decides to stop eating beef.
(d) Equiano decides he can make more money selling turkeys.
7. What else has Equiano done since the first edition of his Narrative was published?
(a) Gotten married.
(b) Been made a knight by the King of England.
(c) Built a house in Africa.
(d) Adopted African children.
8. How much money does the dying man turn out to have in his fortune?
9. What book does Equiano receive after a conversation about Christianity?
(a) "The Pilgrim's Progress."
(b) "The Hairdresser's Guide to Spiritual Life."
(c) "The Conversion of an Indian."
(d) "The Conversion of an African."
10. What does Equiano see in Philadelphia that pleases him?
(a) An all-black school.
(b) An all-black hospital.
(c) An all-black church.
(d) A museum.
11. What does Equiano notice as a difference between Turkey and Europe?
(a) In Turkey, there is more fog than in England.
(b) In Turkey, the walls are made out of paper.
(c) In Turkey, people are more tolerant of blacks.
(d) In Turkey, everyone is illiterate.
12. On a quest for a new religion, why does Equiano decide to go to Turkey?
(a) He wants to convert the Turks to Christianity.
(b) He has decided to become a Muslim.
(c) He plans to go from their to Africa to relearn the religion of the Eboe people.
(d) He thinks the Turks are the most Christ-like people he has met.
13. What is the name of the Native American Equiano tries to convert to Christianity?
(b) Dr. Irving.
(d) Prince George.
14. Why does Equiano's conversion of the Native American not succeed?
(a) Because the Native American gets sick and dies before he converts.
(b) Because another crew member converts the Native American to Islam.
(c) Because the Native American says the Great Spirit told him he should ignore Equiano.
(d) Because the other crew members mock the Native American.
15. What happens to Equiano on shipboard on October 6?
(a) He curses the ship and it sinks.
(b) He falls overboard.
(c) His turkeys die.
(d) He feels "born again," spiritually.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the crew think they see cannibals, what are they really looking at?
2. What makes Equiano attracted to Christianity?
3. In Georgia, what does Equiano do that almost gets him flogged?
4. How does the crew of Mulgrave's expedition survive?
5. When Equiano finds Pascal in England, how does Pascal react?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)