|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new profession does Equiano learn in England?
2. Why does Equiano not go to England immediately after receiving his freedom?
(a) He has fallen in love with a girl in Montserrat.
(b) He feels he has a duty to King and Farmer, so he continues working for them.
(c) He no longer wants to go to England because he likes Montserrat so much.
(d) Freed slaves are not allowed in England.
3. Why doesn't Equiano become ordained?
(a) He doesn't want to do missionary work.
(b) He doesn't want to dress like a minister.
(c) He converts to Islam at the last minute.
(d) The Bishop rejects his request.
4. When he decides to buy his freedom, how much money has Equiano saved?
(a) Four pounds and seven pence.
(b) Forty-seven pounds.
(c) Four hundred seventy dollars.
(d) Four hundred seventy pounds.
5. Once they are on the desert island, what does the crew do for food?
(a) They eat their clothes.
(b) They catch fish.
(c) They become cannibals.
(d) They eat nothing.
6. When the crew of the Nancy sees another ship, what do they learn from the crew of that ship?
(a) They are sailing in fresh water, so they should put down their buckets where they are.
(b) The crew of the other ship is stranded too.
(c) They are in the Bermuda Triangle and will never get out alive.
(d) There are cannibals on the islands around them.
7. What position does Equiano receive in relationship to the Sierra Leone project?
(a) He is the captain.
(b) He is the official hairdresser.
(c) He is the government's commissary.
(d) He is the government watchdog.
8. What does Equiano become convinced is necessary for salvation?
(a) Music, art, and poetry.
(b) Faith, hope, and charity.
(c) Faith, love, and obedience.
(d) Manumission and education.
9. What does Equiano see in Philadelphia that pleases him?
(a) An all-black hospital.
(b) An all-black school.
(c) A museum.
(d) An all-black church.
10. What happens to Equiano on shipboard on October 6?
(a) He falls overboard.
(b) He curses the ship and it sinks.
(c) He feels "born again," spiritually.
(d) His turkeys die.
11. Why do the natives like Dr. Irving?
(a) Because he cures snake bites.
(b) Because he gives them whiskey and guns.
(c) Because he converts them to Christianity.
(d) Because he can dance and sing well.
12. What minister does Equiano hear preach in Philadelphia?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) George Greenfield.
(d) George Whitfield.
13. What does Equiano tell Farmer before Farmer dies?
(a) That Farmer never did Equiano any harm.
(b) That Farmer deserves to die because of the way he treated Equiano.
(c) That Equiano is still angry about the bulls.
(d) That Equiano expects to see Farmer in heaven.
14. While Equiano is getting everyone off the Nancy and to safety, what are the white crew members doing?
(a) Staying on board to "go down with the ship."
(b) Getting drunk.
(c) Nailing the hatches shut.
(d) Doing whatever Equiano tells them.
15. Why does Equiano decide to leave the plantation?
(a) He can't take the loss of the crops.
(b) He is scared of the Spanish.
(c) He is tired of people trying to kidnap him.
(d) He feels he is far from God there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King give Equiano when Equiano is leaving for England in Chapter 9?
2. What boring job does Equiano hold before returning to the sea in 1784?
3. What happens after Equiano complains about the Sierra Leone project?
4. What else goes wrong with the Sierra Leone project?
5. What order does Phillips give that would have cost the lives of many slaves?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)