|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new profession does Equiano learn in England?
2. What makes Equiano attracted to Christianity?
(a) He falls in love with a Christian woman.
(b) Lord Mulgrave tells him that Christianity was what made him decide on his expedition.
(c) Reading the New Testament.
(d) He hears George Whitfield preach in London.
3. Why does Equiano's conversion of the Native American not succeed?
(a) Because the other crew members mock the Native American.
(b) Because another crew member converts the Native American to Islam.
(c) Because the Native American gets sick and dies before he converts.
(d) Because the Native American says the Great Spirit told him he should ignore Equiano.
4. What does King give Equiano when Equiano is leaving for England in Chapter 9?
(a) A letter saying that Equiano has a good character.
(b) A Bible that belonged to Farmer.
(c) A letter that says "Keep this boy running."
(d) Some turkeys and bulls.
5. What other new skills does Equiano study in England?
(a) Painting and trigonometry.
(b) Acting and herbal healing.
(c) Dance and navigation.
(d) Music and arithmetic.
6. When Equiano sees King again, what does he find out has happened to King?
(a) King has been flogged for having freed Equiano.
(b) King has won the lottery.
(c) King has been badly injured in a ship wreck.
(d) King's house was flooded and washed away.
7. What happens to John Annis on the boat to Turkey?
(a) He is kidnapped by Dr. Irving.
(b) He is kidnapped by his former owner.
(c) He is killed by a white whale.
(d) He is kidnapped by Pascal.
8. What sight does Equiano find strange in Turkey?
(a) Men wearing veils.
(b) Slaves wearing veils.
(c) Turkeys roaming the streets freely because they are sacred.
(d) Women wearing veils.
9. Where has Equiano traveled since the first edition of his Narrative was published?
(a) To Russia.
(b) To Australia.
(c) Around the United Kingdom.
(d) Around the United States.
10. Who does Equiano blame for the failure of his attempted conversion of the Native American?
(d) Dr. Irving.
11. What else goes wrong with the Sierra Leone project?
(a) The ships get lost.
(b) Many of the slaves die because there aren't adequate provisions.
(c) The ships all wreck because sailors curse them.
(d) The former slaves decide they don't want to go back to Africa.
12. What religious group does Equiano do a lot of business with in Philadelphia?
(d) Catholic monks.
13. What does Equiano do to try to help Annis?
(a) Follows him to the West Indies to try to help him regain his freedom.
(b) Begs Dr. Irving to give Annis his freedom.
(c) Tries to pull him out of the mouth of the white whale.
(d) Gets Lord Mulgrave to have Pascal arrested.
14. Where does Dr. Irving decide to start a plantation?
15. What position does Equiano receive in relationship to the Sierra Leone project?
(a) He is the captain.
(b) He is the government's commissary.
(c) He is the official hairdresser.
(d) He is the government watchdog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the bulls on Farmer's last voyage?
2. Why does Equiano complain to the government about the Sierra Leone project?
3. When Farmer and his first mate are both ill, who steers the ship into port?
4. What is the profession of the dying man who Captain Farmer cares for in his illness?
5. Why does Equiano brings turkeys on the ship instead of bulls?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)