|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the travelers drop in on to say hello while they are in Odessa?
2. What city is said to be the boyhood home of Jesus?
3. According to Twain, what is wrong with the coffee on the ship?
4. What is the name of the bare hill in Shechem?
5. What is the prevalent obstacle for the travelers throughout their journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Twain and his companions' awe at walking in Jesus' footsteps and perhaps touching the very surface he may have once touched continues. They come to the tiny village of Shunem. What is the village's main attraction for Twain?
2. The group finally reaches Damascus. How do the citizens of Damascus feel about Christians and why?
3. As the caravan gets closer to Baalbek, Twain begins to tell relevant stories from the Bible. What stories does Twain relate, and how does he feel about the Syrians at this point in the story?
4. Describe the chaos in Constantinople as seen by Twain.
5. The group takes a trip to the Egyptian pyramids. What is their reaction to the pyramids, and what object garners the most admiration from the travelers? How much do they admire this object?
6. Despite his earlier cynicism, Twain's faith in the locations and objects of Jerusalem seems unshakable, and he even challenges the reader to prove several hypotheses false. What are some examples of this almost blind faith, and what reasoning does Twain give to justify his unwavering belief?
7. The travelers finally reach Nazareth, once said to be home of the Holy Family. What does Twain do to try to make the significance of the place more real for him? Does his method appear to work?
8. What are some of the challenges faced by Twain and his friends when trying to guide their donkeys to Ephesus?
9. The first place that the pilgrims want to visit in Jerusalem is the Holy Sepulcher. What is the draw of this location?
10. In Chapter 60, Twain relates a humorous tale of an experience he had on the ship. What is the tale about, and how does it proceed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twain is a travel writer at this point. Does his writing style strike you as that of a travel writer? Why or why not? Do you think he is fair and impartial with each location he visits? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Shechem seems to be a very original place. Describe the people and atmosphere of Shechem. Why do you think the people follow the customs that they do? Compare/contrast the Mount of Blessings and the Mount of Curses. From what do you think their names originated? Why? Do you think Twain is impressed with Shechem and its people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are several situations mentioned in the book that Twain finds disturbing, such as the naked girl in Egypt. Describe another situation that Twain finds disturbing. Why do you think these events have such an impact on his psyche? Is it simply because it is something not commonly seen in America, or do you think it has something to do with prejudice? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)