|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the travelers invite onto the ship to teach them the proper way to act when presented to the Emperor?
2. What legend does Twain relate in Chapter 40?
3. What temples do the travelers visit in Baalbek?
4. To where are the colonists who have boarded the ship in Chapter 57 going to be taken?
5. What do the Spaniards do to Twain's newspaper journal when he asks them to mail it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Twain's caravan stops at a fountain for a rest period on its way to Damascus. What observation does Twain make at this fountain, and how does it make him feel?
2. What are some of the challenges faced by Twain and his friends when trying to guide their donkeys to Ephesus?
3. Mark Twain is eager to oblige the New York Herald's request for a complimentary summary of the excursion . What does Twain do to make the document more readable and user friendly?
4. Though most of the towns and villages on their pathway through the Holy Land are a disappointment to Twain, the city of Shechem is a pleasant surprise. Describe what makes Shechem so unique.
5. The first place that the pilgrims want to visit in Jerusalem is the Holy Sepulcher. What is the draw of this location?
6. Describe some of the historical areas that the group can see from the hill 1,200 feet above the Lake of Galilee.
7. Expecting the worst on the trip to Sevastopol, the group is on alert and a bit scared about what might happen. Describe the group's experience and how they react to the Russians.
8. On a hill in Smyrna are layers of broken crockery and oyster shells. Twain is perplexed by who might have put these items in such an odd place. What are some of the possible origins for the shells and crockery given by Twain in Chapter 39?
9. Despite many precautions, what disease does Twain contract, and what are his theories on how he contracted it?
10. Twain and his companions' awe at walking in Jesus' footsteps and perhaps touching the very surface he may have once touched continues. They come to the tiny village of Shunem. What is the village's main attraction for Twain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the scene between Jack and the turtle. What does this story tell you about Jack's character? Do you think he is gullible or simply not very smart? Why? Why do you think the preacher tells him that story in the first place? Do you think Jack truly believes it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are several situations mentioned in the book that Twain finds disturbing, such as the naked girl in Egypt. Describe another situation that Twain finds disturbing. Why do you think these events have such an impact on his psyche? Is it simply because it is something not commonly seen in America, or do you think it has something to do with prejudice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The ship is quarantined at or away from the dock more often than not. What is the reason for this? Do you believe it is a necessary precaution? Why or why not? How do the passengers react? When some sneak off the boat to visit the country anyway, do you feel their act is immoral, if not reckless? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)