|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Twain was quite taken with a girl in what city?
2. What does Twain do one year after the excursion?
3. What appears to be the emperor's weakness?
4. How much did the boat driver want to take the group on a tour of the body of water in which they are swimming?
5. What town in Russia is visited by the travelers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Because the travelers are not permitted in Greece, they decide to move on to Turkey. What are some of the dubious customs of Turkey, and what does Twain say about those customs when comparing them to those of America?
2. The men come upon young Jack on the verge of destroying an innocent turtle. What is Jack's issue with the turtle, and what does that tell you about Jack's personality?
3. Though the excursion is now complete, Twain and several of his friends feel that there is something missing. Where do they decide to go and why?
4. The first place that the pilgrims want to visit in Jerusalem is the Holy Sepulcher. What is the draw of this location?
5. Despite many precautions, what disease does Twain contract, and what are his theories on how he contracted it?
6. The group finally reaches Damascus. How do the citizens of Damascus feel about Christians and why?
7. Expecting the worst on the trip to Sevastopol, the group is on alert and a bit scared about what might happen. Describe the group's experience and how they react to the Russians.
8. The travelers finally reach Nazareth, once said to be home of the Holy Family. What does Twain do to try to make the significance of the place more real for him? Does his method appear to work?
9. Describe the actions of the group once the ship drops anchor in Egypt. Who ends up on the ship with them?
10. Twain and his companions' awe at walking in Jesus' footsteps and perhaps touching the very surface he may have once touched continues. They come to the tiny village of Shunem. What is the village's main attraction for Twain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the scene between Jack and the turtle. What does this story tell you about Jack's character? Do you think he is gullible or simply not very smart? Why? Why do you think the preacher tells him that story in the first place? Do you think Jack truly believes it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are several situations mentioned in the book that Twain finds disturbing, such as the naked girl in Egypt. Describe another situation that Twain finds disturbing. Why do you think these events have such an impact on his psyche? Is it simply because it is something not commonly seen in America, or do you think it has something to do with prejudice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Twain is a travel writer at this point. Does his writing style strike you as that of a travel writer? Why or why not? Do you think he is fair and impartial with each location he visits? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)