|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does the advertisement in the beginning of the story encourage people to register?
2. What is the one thing the passengers have in common once the ship sets sail?
3. Why can't the travelers enter the Moorish mosque?
4. How is the the American consul general of Tangier introduced?
5. What is the name of the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Twain's excitement about the trip is abundantly clear. He visits the registration office frequently for numerous reasons. Do you think his excitement is only because of the upcoming journey, or do you think there are other factors?
2. Describe the scene with the kid gloves. What do you think bothers Twain the most about this situation?
3. In Chapter 13, the group hires a tour guide to show them famous sites. Despite being tasked with this duty, the guide seems more interested in obtaining money by taking the tourists shopping and earning a commission. He even manages to keep them from making the Louvre before closing. What does this say about the tour guides in Paris, and how might this affect the group's hiring of other tour guides in the future?
4. Twain's first exposure to another people is when he lands in the Azores Islands. He listens to the people speaking Portuguese and scoffs at the many beggars. What is his first impression of the people of the Azores, and why do you think he feels the way he does about them?
5. On a visit to the Capuchin Convent, the group is led into a vault decorated with the bones of ancient deceased monks. What is it about this vault that so fascinates Twain?
6. Compare/contrast Versailles with Faubourg St. Antoine.
7. Compare/contrast Twain's first opinion of Venice to his opinion after he arrives at the Grand Canal.
8. Describe Twain's Parisian quest and its result.
9. We are introduced to a character called the Oracle. How did he earn this moniker? How do Twain and his shipmates feel about this man?
10. The ancient city of Pompeii was buried under an eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. Twain imagines what the lives of the people of Pompeii must have been like and wonders whether U.S. history would be correctly reported if something similar occurred in the United States. What do you think prompts Twain to wonder such a thing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast the group's journey through the Holy Land to their journey through France. Though there are some very similar encounters/situations, the Holy Land tour appears to be more appealing to the group overall. What factors do you think contribute to the group's favoring the Holy Land over France? Or, if you believe the opposite to be true, explain why and site examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Shechem seems to be a very original place. Describe the people and atmosphere of Shechem. Why do you think the people follow the customs that they do? Compare/contrast the Mount of Blessings and the Mount of Curses. From what do you think their names originated? Why? Do you think Twain is impressed with Shechem and its people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The ship is quarantined at or away from the dock more often than not. What is the reason for this? Do you believe it is a necessary precaution? Why or why not? How do the passengers react? When some sneak off the boat to visit the country anyway, do you feel their act is immoral, if not reckless? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)