|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Twain imply the advertising program says?
2. When does the judge finally complain in Twain's story?
3. The excursionists are burned out on travel by the time they reach which Italian city?
4. What do the donkeys have as saddles?
5. Of what country does Twain say the Moors are afraid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Twain use an advertisement, rather than his own words, to describe the grand excursion?
2. The ancient city of Pompeii was buried under an eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. Twain imagines what the lives of the people of Pompeii must have been like and wonders whether U.S. history would be correctly reported if something similar occurred in the United States. What do you think prompts Twain to wonder such a thing?
3. What particularly gruesome item is the group confronted with when it visits the Cathedral of Milan? How does Twain react to this artifact and why?
4. What impresses Twain about St. Peter's?
5. Venice is a city of many stories and legends. Describe the legend of the patron saint of Venice, St. Mark.
6. Twain and his friends finally reach France. However, their first stop, Marseille, is fraught with problems. What are some of these problems? Do you think that some or all of these problems could have been avoided? Why or why not?
7. Twain's first exposure to another people is when he lands in the Azores Islands. He listens to the people speaking Portuguese and scoffs at the many beggars. What is his first impression of the people of the Azores, and why do you think he feels the way he does about them?
8. Describe the scene with the kid gloves. What do you think bothers Twain the most about this situation?
9. Stuck waiting in the tiny town of Annunciation, Twain and his companions decide to attend the theater to see a famous singer perform. What happens at the performance? What does this event do for Twain's opinion of the people who have attended?
10. Twain feels intellectually and culturally insecure in Venice. Describe why a tour guide furthers these insecurities.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the travelers' attitude toward tour guides. Why do they rename the guides? Do you think it is genuinely for ease of pronunciation, or do you think they feel a need to depersonalize the person guiding their every move? Why? Is it something you would expect from an American? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Twain uses other people's words to write his article at times. For example, when in Nazareth, he copies an extract from the Apocryphal New Testament. Why do you think he does this? Twain doesn't strike one as a person in want of words, so why is it important to note that he does quote other writers?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tour through Jerusalem. What do you believe were highlights to Twain? What do you believe were lowlights? After the excitement built throughout the trip, do you think he is pleased, sorely disappointed, or somewhere in between? Why?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)