|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the group's guide through Paris?
2. What is the first site seen in Rome?
3. What do the donkeys have as saddles?
4. What are the more lively sources of entertainment offered on the ship?
5. What does Twain say about Italian women in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Twain is a bit contradictory in his opinions of the French. Outline Twain's opinions and theorize why he might feel that way.
2. Mark Twain chooses to insert some of his well-known humor in his story about the group's capers in Athens. What purpose do you think the humor has in this chapter?
3. Twain accompanies his group to the Coliseum. As he watches them scrabble for pieces of the huge building, he finds a playbill where a woman invites a man on a secret date. Why is this piece of trash more interesting to Twain than the souvenirs his friends seek?
4. Twain and his friends finally reach France. However, their first stop, Marseille, is fraught with problems. What are some of these problems? Do you think that some or all of these problems could have been avoided? Why or why not?
5. Venice seems to bring out a flurry of emotions in Twain. He is at first disappointed then excited, and in Chapter 23, eventually bored. Why is Twain eventually bored?
6. Compare/contrast Versailles with Faubourg St. Antoine.
7. Twain has not been very complimentary to the cities/countries he has visited so far, and Italy is doomed to the same fate so far in Chapter 20. He lumps Italy with the other disappointments he has experienced up until that time. What indication does Twain give that he is unhappy with Italy?
8. Why does Twain use an advertisement, rather than his own words, to describe the grand excursion?
9. What observation does Twain make that seems unlikely in the heavily Christian city of Rome?
10. Twain is fascinated with Tangier. Its very foreignness entertains him inestimably. Why do you think Tangier has such an impact on Twain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ship is quarantined at or away from the dock more often than not. What is the reason for this? Do you believe it is a necessary precaution? Why or why not? How do the passengers react? When some sneak off the boat to visit the country anyway, do you feel their act is immoral, if not reckless? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Twain's attitude toward the beggars, who seem to be everywhere, comes across as that of disdain rather than pity. He is disgusted by them, yet we hear few words of commiseration. What about the time Twain lived in encouraged this type of attitude toward the poor? What does Twain say that illustrates his attitude toward the beggars?
Essay Topic 3
Based upon the advertisement at the beginning of the story, what do you think the passengers' expectations were? Do you think they were met? If not, what do you think specifically disappointed them and why? Do you think this was a case of false advertising? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)