|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the tour guide in Chapter 35?
(a) Moses McDonald.
(b) Faraway Moses.
(c) Russia Moses.
(d) Moses Faraway.
2. What does the marble slab inside the Church of Holy Sepulcher guard?
(a) The Stone of Unction.
(b) The Holy Sepulchre.
(c) The Cross of Christ.
(d) The Stone Bench.
3. Where does the caravan to Damascus stop for a rest period?
(a) An oasis in the middle of the desert.
(b) The Garden of Eden.
(c) A fountain.
(d) A broken down hunting cabin.
4. According to Twain, what is wrong with the coffee on the ship?
(a) It is an unlikely color.
(b) It tastes like dirt.
(c) It is too weak.
(d) It is awful.
5. How is the population of Jerusalem described?
6. What is the first disappointing tourist attraction the group visits in Turkey?
(a) The shrine at Constantinople.
(c) The mosque at St. Sophia.
(d) The mausoleum of Sultan Mahmud.
7. Why does the trip to Damascus have to be made in two days?
(a) Three of the men will not travel on the sabbath.
(b) Twain is stricken with a strange premonition.
(c) Three of the men are ill and must rest.
(d) Twain's group is not properly prepared.
8. What does the group rename the city of Ain Mellahah?
(c) Broken Branch.
9. What is the group looking for in Magdala?
(a) A modern-day prophet.
(b) The house of Mary Magdalene.
(c) The Holy Sepluchre.
(d) The "true" cross.
10. What story does Twain relate in Chapter 54?
(a) The story of the Blind Man and the Dog.
(b) The story of the Holy See.
(c) The story of the Wandering Jew.
(d) The story of the Broken Stone.
11. What has Twain completely befuddled in Chapter 36?
(a) The Russian newspaper.
(b) All of the answers are correct.
(c) His cabinmate's rambling conversation.
(d) The time changes.
12. Why do the pilgrims acquire the habit of pulling their guns from their holsters?
(a) To ward off mosquitoes.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(c) To look like wild west cowboys.
(d) To shoot imaginary Bedouins.
13. What did the preachers on board the ship tell young Jack that turtles will do in Chapter 47?
(c) All of the answers are correct.
14. What is the name of the ruin of the tall tower seen after the group leaves El Yuba Dam?
(a) Tower of Babel.
(b) Polycarp's tomb.
(c) Mt. Pegus.
15. What does Twain see that disgusts him when the group stops to rest on the road to Damascus?
(a) A man's skeleton by the roadside.
(b) Emaciated homeless people.
(c) People suffering from leprosy.
(d) Huge rats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Turkey allow that Twain finds immoral?
2. What is the name of the gate the travelers pass on their way out of Jerusalem?
3. Twain says that everything is now measured in __________ instead of __________.
4. What temples do the travelers visit in Baalbek?
5. What adjective does Twain give to the houses in Jerusalem?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)