|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the emperor's daughter?
2. What offends Twain at the end of the story?
(a) His treatment by the Egyptians.
(b) The photo the newspaper uses is very old.
(c) The newspaper declines to run his article.
(d) None of the other passengers acknowledges him.
3. What mode of transportation do the travelers use in Egypt?
4. Where does the caravan to Damascus stop for a rest period?
(a) An oasis in the middle of the desert.
(b) A fountain.
(c) The Garden of Eden.
(d) A broken down hunting cabin.
5. What does Twain see that disgusts him when the group stops to rest on the road to Damascus?
(a) Emaciated homeless people.
(b) Huge rats.
(c) A man's skeleton by the roadside.
(d) People suffering from leprosy.
6. What does Twain hail as the only way to travel?
(a) All at once.
(b) A country a year.
(c) In small increments.
(d) By donkey.
7. What do the travelers do in the Arab mosque that not even the Arabs do?
(a) Remove their clothes.
(b) Step on the prayer mats with their shoes.
(c) Remove their shoes.
8. What are the spinning dancers of a religious healing nature called?
(c) Whirling dervishes.
(d) Dancing dervishes.
9. Where does the ship anchor in Chapter 57?
(d) Cape of Good Hope.
10. What does the guard in Chapter 49 have in his possession?
(a) Multiple types of land mines.
(b) Several assistants.
(c) Bags of swords and guns.
(d) A huge record book.
11. Where does the group set up camp in Nazareth?
(a) Near Jesus' birthplace.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(c) Near the Virgin Mary's Fountain.
(d) Near the American consulate.
12. Who is guarding the boys in Chapter 49?
(a) Local police.
(b) Several children.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) A tall Arab.
13. What story does Twain relate in Chapter 54?
(a) The story of the Wandering Jew.
(b) The story of the Blind Man and the Dog.
(c) The story of the Holy See.
(d) The story of the Broken Stone.
14. What has Twain completely befuddled in Chapter 36?
(a) The time changes.
(b) His cabinmate's rambling conversation.
(c) All of the answers are correct.
(d) The Russian newspaper.
15. What does Turkey allow that Twain finds immoral?
(a) Selling young girls at auction.
(b) Drinking heavily.
(d) Smoking from an apparatus.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the population of Jerusalem described?
2. Who has hired the guard to protect the Americans on their trip to Galilee?
3. How does Twain look back on the trip?
4. What do the travelers do once they reach the River Jordan?
5. Who asks Twain to write a summary of the excursion?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)