|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the the American consul general of Tangier introduced?
(a) As a wicked man.
(b) As a man of prestige.
(c) As a confident man.
(d) As a lonely man.
2. What does Twain say that Venice looks like?
(a) A magnificent city of influence.
(b) A contradiction in terms.
(c) A confusing, winding conundrum.
(d) A neglected poverty pit.
3. Twain says the color the gondolas are painted the color of ___________.
4. Who in France claim to be barbers?
(d) Wig makers.
5. To what does Twain compare Versailles?
(a) The White House.
(b) The Garden of Eden.
(c) Cinderella's palace.
6. What does Twain tell the group of poor people to do?
(a) Visit a shelter.
(b) Eat the pigeon food.
(c) Rob a church.
(d) Find a place to hide.
7. What does the driver in Chapter 21 suck on for about an hour?
(a) His pinkie finger.
(b) A mint.
(c) A cigar stub.
(d) A grass blade.
8. How long is the train ride through France?
(a) 7 blocks.
(b) 30 kilometers.
(c) 1,000 miles.
(d) 500 miles.
9. What is the name of the renowned burial ground for romantically famous people in France?
(a) Bois de Boulogne.
(b) Pere la Chaise.
(c) Rue de la Temps.
(d) Arc de Triomphe.
10. What fact humiliates Twain in Chapter 23?
(a) That a "cultivated Negro" is richer than he.
(b) That a "cultivated Negro" is more famous than he.
(c) That a "cultivated Negro" is more intelligent than he.
(d) That a "cultivated Negro" has more friends than he.
11. What happened to Pompeii to make it a point of interest?
(a) It was buried by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius.
(b) It was the original seat of Christianity.
(c) It was the birthplace of Nero.
(d) It was once the most beautiful city in Italy.
12. Why can't the travelers enter the Moorish mosque?
(a) Christians are forbidden to cross the threshold.
(b) Only people from Tangier are permitted.
(c) It is closed.
(d) Only single Jewish people can enter.
13. What does Twain say about Italian men in Chapter 20?
(a) They are ugly.
(b) They smell bad.
(c) They are romantic.
(d) They are rude.
14. What is the first destination?
(a) The Azores.
(b) Mt. Ararat.
(c) The Philippines.
(d) Grand Caymans.
15. What excursion tempts the travelers from their fatigue after their visit to Naples?
(a) To the Grotto.
(b) To Mt. Vesuvius.
(c) To St. Januarius.
(d) To the Coliseum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the gondolas painted?
2. Heloise is sent to where?
3. How much is the doctor charged for a kiss?
4. What great battle takes place in Chapter 17?
5. What does Twain find mundane about Gibraltar?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)