|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the driver in Chapter 21 suck on for about an hour?
(a) A cigar stub.
(b) A mint.
(c) His pinkie finger.
(d) A grass blade.
2. Who serves as mule attendants?
3. To what does Twain compare Rome at the end of Chapter 28?
(a) A candy store.
(c) A brothel.
(d) A spectacular museum.
4. What did young Mark Twain discover upon sneaking into his father's office?
(a) A stray dog.
(b) A revealing document.
(c) A dead body.
(d) His father's affair.
5. What is the name of the ship?
(a) Broken Promises.
(b) Bon Voyage.
(c) Samuel Clemens.
(d) Quaker City.
6. Of what country does Twain say the Moors are afraid?
7. What does the ship offer for entertainment?
(b) All of the answers are correct.
8. What happened to Pompeii to make it a point of interest?
(a) It was buried by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius.
(b) It was the original seat of Christianity.
(c) It was once the most beautiful city in Italy.
(d) It was the birthplace of Nero.
9. How many marble statues does the Cathedral of Milan claim?
10. What is the problem with the bartender in the bar advertising "ALL MANNER OF AMERICAN DRINKS ARTISTICALLY PREPARED HERE"?
(a) He can't understand the group's American colloquialisms.
(b) He can't make a single American drink.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He is blind.
11. What does Twain imply the advertising program says?
(a) Too much to be useful.
(b) Nothing of any substance.
(c) Glorious, glamorous goofiness.
(d) Everything that needs to be said.
12. What cultural customs thrive in Tangier?
(d) All of the answers are correct.
13. What do the donkeys have as saddles?
(b) Straw mats.
14. In Chapter 28, what finally sparks some interest from Twain and his friends?
(a) The Vatican.
(b) The Capuchin Convent.
(c) The Blessed Virgin Grotto.
(d) The Church of St. Peter.
15. Where does the midnight excursion mentioned in Chapter 29 begin?
(a) The dock outside the ship.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(c) On an abandoned wharf.
(d) The city of Annunciation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the passengers of the ship track Twain's progress when he sneaks ashore in Athens?
2. What is the one thing the travelers can do to be permitted to enter the mosque?
3. What does Twain tell the group of poor people to do?
4. What does Twain say the Europeans do after work?
5. To what does Twain compare the St. Peter's maintenance men?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)