|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Glass frustrated with the British in Chapter 13?
2. What color of dress does Maria wear for the engagement party?
3. What domestic arrangement do Maria and Leonard come to in Chapter 13 regarding meals?
4. What is the name of the spy that Leonard reads about as his plane is taking off?
5. What is the name of the cafe where Leonard eats in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maria look when Leonard sees her at the airport in Chapter 22?
2. How does Maria look when Leonard goes to see her in Chapter 21?
3. As Leonard is leaving the apartment in Chapter 18, what emotion does he feel towards Maria and the apartment?
4. How does Leonard feel about his work in the tunnel in Chapter 17?
5. How does Leonard first feel when he hears the news from Bob that the tunnel has been found by the Soviets?
6. What problems does his hands shaking cause Leonard in Chapter 21?
7. Why does Maria think that Otto has hidden in her wardrobe in Chapter 16?
8. How does Leonard compare his circumstances with Maria in Chapter 13 with their circumstances earlier in the book?
9. What does Leonard dream about in Chapter 19?
10. In Chapter 21, now that the tunnel has been discovered how does MacNamee view the success of the project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Leonard's view of his relationship with Maria changes drastically, however, Maria's views of their relationship remains somewhat the same. Discuss the dichotomy of how these view differ and how they reflect upon the character that holds them.
Essay Topic 2
How does the character of Glass compare and contrast with the character of Leonard and what themes arise from the comparison of these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view utilized by McEwan in The Innocent. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why McEwan may have selected the view he did and how the view employed was effective in the development of important themes. Make sure to cite specific textual examples to support your assertions.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)