|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the spy that Leonard reads about as his plane is taking off?
2. What do Leonard and Maria drink in Chapter 17?
3. What are the names of Maria's friends who come to the engagement party?
4. Where does Leonard spend his Christmas Holiday?
5. What it the name of the airport that Leonard flies out of in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leonard feel when he reads the newspaper?
2. How does Maria look when Leonard goes to see her in Chapter 21?
3. In Chapter 21, why does Leonard long to be able to tell someone official about Otto and exactly what happened?
4. How do Leonard's parent's view Maria in Chapter 14?
5. How does Leonard view London during his holiday visit?
6. How does Leonard feel about his work in the tunnel in Chapter 17?
7. How does Leonard compare his circumstances with Maria in Chapter 13 with their circumstances earlier in the book?
8. Why is Leonard nervous to take too many rests with his cases in Chapter 19?
9. How does Maria look when Leonard sees her at the airport in Chapter 22?
10. Describe how Leonard finds Maria in her apartment in Chapter 14.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss at least three motives of the character of Leonard and how they dictate his actions and affect the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
McEwan utilizes the literary tool of irony extensively throughout The Innocent. Using at least three textual examples, describe how McEwan utilizes irony to establish themes, strengthen characterizations and add humor.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Leonard's view of his relationship with Maria changes drastically, however, Maria's views of their relationship remains somewhat the same. Discuss the dichotomy of how these view differ and how they reflect upon the character that holds them.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)