|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many beers does Leonard drink during his first evening in Berlin?
2. What is the name of Maria's friend who accompanied her to the bar in Chapter 5?
3. What did Leonard study in college?
4. What is Glass's hometown?
5. Where do Leonard and Maria go to remember their meeting in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is everyone silent in the tunnel?
2. What is unique about the way Glass drives?
3. Why is Glass surprised when he learns that Leonard's fight with Maria is due to him getting rough with her?
4. What is Maria's ambition?
5. What type of relationship does Leonard have with his co-workers in Chapter 7?
6. What are Leonard's first impressions of his new apartment in Chapter 1?
7. What is Glass's response to Leonard's apartment in Chapter 2?
8. How does Mr. Blake look when he responds to Maria's yell in Chapter 11?
9. Describe the appearance of John MacNamee.
10. In Chapter 8, why doesn't Maria want to spend the night at Leonard's apartment as it is nicer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Innocent, McEwan includes several historical figures and events from post-World War II Berlin throughout the novel. Using at least three examples of these figures or events from the text, discuss how the inclusion of these characters affect the plot and direct the themes of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dramatic structure of The Innocent. Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and the denouement.
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of Glass compare and contrast with the character of Leonard and what themes arise from the comparison of these two characters?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)