|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Maria?
2. What does Major Angell's aftershave smell like?
3. What action does Mr. Blake offer to do for Maria in Chapter 11?
4. What does Leonard ask to take home from work in Chapter 2?
5. How many hours a day does Leonard work his first week in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does Leonard overhear during his dinner in Chapter 1?
2. What fantasy does Leonard begin to have in regards to Maria in Chapter 8?
3. How does Russell describe the Russians from his experience serving as a lieutenant in Berlin of 1945?
4. Describe the appearance of John MacNamee.
5. What observation about Leonard had helped Maria to forgive him during their separation in Chapter 11?
6. Why was the street called East-West Axis by Hitler, renamed to be the street of June 17?
7. What are Leonard's first impressions of his new apartment in Chapter 1?
8. How does Maria first convince Leonard to stay in her apartment in Chapter 6?
9. Why is there a pressurized room built around the cables in the tunnel?
10. How does Mr. Blake look when he responds to Maria's yell in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are both of the narrative lines in The Innocent an examination of the complex relationships between the conquered and the conqueror?
Essay Topic 2
How does the character of Glass compare and contrast with the character of Leonard and what themes arise from the comparison of these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of national pride depicted in The Innocent and how does it correspond with the theme of identity in the novel?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)