|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does Russell estimate that the East German State will survive in Chapter 4?
2. Where did Leonard go to school?
3. What does Major Angell's aftershave smell like?
4. Where do Leonard and Maria spend the majority of their time when they are home?
5. Where did Leonard get his teak-lined silver-plated cigarette box that was engraved with his initials?
Short Essay Questions
1. What compliment does MacNamee give the Americans about the tunnel project in Chapter 7?
2. Why does Glass want to interrogate Maria in Chapter 9?
3. What is Glass's response to Leonard's apartment in Chapter 2?
4. What memory does Leonard's aggressive behavior in Chapter 8 conjure for Maria?
5. What observation about Leonard had helped Maria to forgive him during their separation in Chapter 11?
6. How is Leonard's apology to Maria in Chapter 11 a first for him?
7. In Chapter 9, how does Leonard feel about his aggressive behavior towards Maria?
8. Why is there a pressurized room built around the cables in the tunnel?
9. How does Russell describe the Russians from his experience serving as a lieutenant in Berlin of 1945?
10. Describe the Hotel Neva.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Leonard's view of his relationship with Maria changes drastically, however, Maria's views of their relationship remains somewhat the same. Discuss the dichotomy of how these view differ and how they reflect upon the character that holds them.
Essay Topic 2
How does the character of Glass compare and contrast with the character of Leonard and what themes arise from the comparison of these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
In The Innocent a lot of focus is given to the issues of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations discuss how McEwan highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to good versus evil.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)