|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the judge' s memories of the last time he saw his friend Bose at a restaurant, what had they talked about?
2. Why did the judge send his wife away?
3. How did the cook's wife die?
4. What book does Sai read while hoping Gyan will come back?
5. What happens when Biju arrives in Kathmandu?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 31, what does Sai's assertion that it is unwise to read old books tell the reader about her?
2. How does the women's discussion about religion in the library reflect the events that surround them?
3. As revealed in chapter 32, what role did Bose play in transforming the judge's identity?
4. Which of the characters has not lost everything by the end of the novel?
5. Are the characters searching for Mutt in chapter 49 all actually searching for someone else? If so, for whom are they searching?
6. In chapter 34, what is the significance of Father Booty's deportation after living in Kalimong for 45 years?
7. In chapter 37, does Noni make the right decision by allowing the GNLF boys to stay in their home? Or should she have listened to Lola and tried to make them leave?
8. In chapter 30, why does the cook suddenly begin having superstitious fears for Biju's life?
9. In chapter 41, how does Biju's reaction to the travel agent's advice reflect Biju's idea of what constitutes a "better life"?
10. Why do Bose and son continue to try to improve Indians' lives, no matter how unsuccessful they are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The judge tells Bose that he believes the present changes the past. Explain what you think he means by this. How does this apply to the judge's past experiences in particular? Do you agree with this assertion in a general sense, or do you believe that the past remains unchanged regardless of what happens later? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
How do the judge's behavior and actions upon returning from England to his family represent the English and Indian sides of himself? Has he adopted the best English customs and the worst Indian ones, or vice-versa?
Essay Topic 3
What are the two types of foods the Indian patrons at the Ghandi Cafe consume? How does the balance of the two symbolize the dual identity they wish to display in front of the American patrons?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)