|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sai feel about the cook?
2. What is taken from the judge's house in chapter 1?
3. How does Gyan describe Sai and her father to his friends in Thapa's Canteen?
4. What do many of the people from Bengal begin to desire?
5. Where does a co-worker take Biju when his character is first introduced?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the romance and the civil unrest in chapter 20 presented in a similar way?
2. How does Sai's having attended a Catholic school impact her identity in terms of the people around her?
3. In chapter 29, how does Gyan begin to view Sai?
4. In chapter 19, why does the author have both the cook and Lola experience difficulty communicating with a loved-one abroad?
5. Why is the judge so critical of Gyan in chapter 18?
6. In chapter 21, how do Noni and Lola's views of the Nepalese liberation movement differ?
7. In chapter 5, what is the symbolism of the two-level restaurants with basement kitchens where Biju works?
8. In chapter 22, what does it tell us about Biju when he leaves his job at Brigitte's and begins working at the Ghandi Cafe?
9. In chapter 27, why does Sai have so much trouble relating to Gyan's ideas about a Gorkha homeland?
10. In chapter 26, why does Gyan begin regretting the time he spent with Sai as he becomes part of the liberation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the judge and Hamish-Harry. How is the judge's face powder like Hamish-Harry's name? How do these reflect the ways in which they perceive themselves? Why do you think they live in such different ways, and what does this have to do with the different countries to which they traveled?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the cook remains with the judge, even though the judge is distant and treats him unkindly? Why do you think the cook lies about being mistreated, rather than trying to do something about it? Do you think he would have remained with the judge if Sai had never come to stay with them? What role does Sai play in the cook's life?
Essay Topic 3
Biju and the judge were both sent away by their fathers in order to have a better life. Compare and contrast the two characters' experiences abroad, and how they ultimately affected each character. Why do you think things turned out so differently for the two characters? Does it have to do with their experiences? Their upbringing? Their personality?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)