|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Biju get from the bus station to his father's village?
(a) He takes the train.
(b) He hitches a ride with a farmer.
(c) He pays some GNLF boys to give him a ride.
(d) He walks.
2. When the judge asked his wife if she was stupid, what was her reply?
(a) That she was intelligent.
(b) That he was the one who was stupid.
(c) That she wasn't stupid, just uninformed.
(d) That she wasn't as intelligent as he was.
3. What did the judge hope to accomplish by taking Sai in?
(a) Making sure Sai didn't find out about how he had treated her mother.
(b) Seeing some of himself in Sai.
(c) Undoing the way he had treated his wife.
(d) Making sure Sai had a proper upbringing.
4. What do the rebels do to Lola and Noni?
(a) Force them to feed and tend to them.
(b) Threaten to beat them.
(c) Threaten to rape them.
(d) Ransack their home.
5. What philosophical discussion did the judge and Bose have at the restaurant?
(a) Whether the past remains unchanged by the present.
(b) Whether man has free will.
(c) Whether time moves at different rates.
(d) Whether life has meaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Biju arrives in Kathmandu?
2. What does Sai decide to do as her cold is waning?
3. Where does Harish-Harry's future son-in-law live?
4. As the village shuts down, what are the judge and Sai living on?
5. On his way to the important protest, what observation does the cook make about the GNLF?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the judge justified for blaming the cook for Mutt's disappearance in chapter 51?
2. How does the women's discussion about religion in the library reflect the events that surround them?
3. Which of the characters has not lost everything by the end of the novel?
4. In chapter 40, how does Sai react when she discovers that Gyan lives in poverty and what does this signify?
5. What do Biju's childhood memories reveal about his character?
6. What does the judge's reaction to Mutt's disappearance in chapter 46 reveal about his character?
7. In chapter 34, what is the significance of Father Booty's deportation after living in Kalimong for 45 years?
8. In chapter 30, why does the cook suddenly begin having superstitious fears for Biju's life?
9. In chapter 39, why does Sai remain silent about her feelings for Gyan when Uncle Potty, Lola, and Noni ask questions or offer advice?
10. As revealed in chapter 32, what role did Bose play in transforming the judge's identity?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)