|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gyan react when Sai tells him the purpose of her visit to his home?
(a) He promises to rectify the situation.
(b) He blames Sai.
(c) He apologizes.
(d) He claims responsibility but is not sorry.
2. What did the judge remember as he was heading home from the restaurant?
(a) Being taunted by little boys on a bus.
(b) Taunting little boys at a bus stop.
(c) Being taunted by little boys at a bus stop.
(d) Taunting little boys on a bus.
3. What happens during the important protest?
(a) Lola and Noni are attacked.
(b) The police break up the protest.
(c) A deadly riot breaks out.
(d) Objectors chants peacefully.
4. What is the first thing the judge prays for after years of being an atheist?
(a) That his health will improve.
(b) That the violence will cease.
(c) That his dog will be returned to him.
(d) That Sai will grow up in a better world.
5. What problem had the judge and Bose had at the restaurant?
(a) It was late, and the restaurant claimed they had stopped serving.
(b) The restaurant catered only to whites.
(c) There was nothing to their liking on the menu.
(d) The food the restaurant served was considered unholy to Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soon after Biju's phone call, what does Biju start to tell people when he doesn't want to talk to them?
2. How does Biju react to the men who tell Indian girls they are as attractive as American blondes?
3. How does Uncle Potty look at love?
4. What do the police do to an innocent drunk man six months after the library visit?
5. What did the judge learn about his wife six months after sending her away?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 40, how does the judge's refusal to help the drunkard's family highlight his thinking only of himself?
2. Why do Bose and son continue to try to improve Indians' lives, no matter how unsuccessful they are?
3. Why does the author leave out Biju's reactions to the airport scene around him in chapter 48?
4. In chapter 42, how do Gyan's grandmother and Sai exert similar forces on Gyan?
5. In chapter 36, what does the author convey by the bad connection on the phone line between Biju and his father?
6. What does the judge's reaction to Mutt's disappearance in chapter 46 reveal about his character?
7. In chapter 37, does Noni make the right decision by allowing the GNLF boys to stay in their home? Or should she have listened to Lola and tried to make them leave?
8. In chapter 41, how does Biju's reaction to the travel agent's advice reflect Biju's idea of what constitutes a "better life"?
9. What is the significance of Sai catching a cold in chapter 39 while she is obsessed with thoughts and feelings regarding Gyan?
10. In chapter 34, what is the significance of Father Booty's deportation after living in Kalimong for 45 years?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)