|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Lola and Noni respond to the Gorkhas marching in the street?
(a) They support their cause.
(b) They consider them degenerates.
(c) They respectfully disagree with their position.
(d) They want to learn more about what they're saying.
2. When Sai sees someone approach the house at the end of the novel, who does she hope it is?
(a) Father Booty.
(c) Uncle Potty.
3. As they gain power, who do the GNLF use it against?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) The British.
(c) The poor.
(d) The Indians.
4. What does Sai decide to do as her cold is waning?
(a) Go in search of Gyan.
(b) Forget Gyan.
(c) Write to Gyan.
(d) Find someone else to love.
5. What book does Sai read while hoping Gyan will come back?
(a) Gone With the Wind.
(b) Jane Eyre.
(c) Little Women.
(d) Wuthering Heights.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle Potty look at love?
2. What does Gyan tell the cook outside of Thapa's Canteen?
3. What does Sai imagine happened to the judge's dog?
4. Who does Lola blame for her being victimized?
5. How do the men in Thapa's Canteen respond to the cook's news that the judge's dog is missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 37, does Noni make the right decision by allowing the GNLF boys to stay in their home? Or should she have listened to Lola and tried to make them leave?
2. In chapter 41, how does Biju's reaction to the travel agent's advice reflect Biju's idea of what constitutes a "better life"?
3. In chapter 30, why does the cook suddenly begin having superstitious fears for Biju's life?
4. In chapter 34, what is the significance of Father Booty's deportation after living in Kalimong for 45 years?
5. In chapter 40, how does the judge's refusal to help the drunkard's family highlight his thinking only of himself?
6. What is the biggest loss that nearly all the characters inherited when the English left India?
7. What do Biju's childhood memories reveal about his character?
8. As revealed in chapter 32, what role did Bose play in transforming the judge's identity?
9. In chapter 40, how does Sai react when she discovers that Gyan lives in poverty and what does this signify?
10. In chapter 30, what does Harish-Harry tell Biju that illustrates how naive he is about the situation of the illegal immigrants who work for him?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)