|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he joins the Liberation Movement, why is Gyan angered by all the time he spent with Sai?
(a) He feels as though he was acting like a child, not a man.
(b) He had to walk two hours to get to her house.
(c) She is too young to make a serious commitment.
(d) She is not a Gorkha.
2. According to Sai, why can't Gyan find a decent job?
(a) Because he can't afford decent clothes for interviews.
(b) Because he lacks experience.
(c) Because he isn't Westernized.
(d) Because he's not intelligent enough.
3. Why does Gyan feel embarrassed to be seen eating with Sai?
(a) Her manners are too English.
(b) She has no table manners.
(c) She overeats.
(d) She is a messy eater.
4. The first time Biju runs into Saeed after the closing of the bakery, what type of girl has Saeed married?
(a) A black American.
(b) An Indian.
(c) An African.
(d) A white American.
5. What do Gyan and Sai learn is in common about their backgrounds?
(a) Both are descended from judges.
(b) Gyan has Russian ancestors.
(c) Both attended Catholic schools.
(d) Both had family members who worked for the British Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Saeed's in-laws encourage him to do?
2. What does Biju realize about Harry-Harish's two names?
3. Where in New York is Brigitte's restaurant located?
4. What does Gyan realize as soon as he leaves Sai after apologizing?
5. What does Sai tell the cook after accepting Gyan's apology?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 23, what do Sai and Gyan discover they have in common?
2. In chapter 11, what do we learn about Indian servants' preferences for employers?
3. What is the significance of the elaborate Christmas celebration in chapter 25?
4. In chapter 29, how does Gyan begin to view Sai?
5. In chapter 28, how does Jemu's family's reaction to him upon his return from England contrast with his expectations?
6. In chapter 21, how do Noni and Lola's views of the Nepalese liberation movement differ?
7. Why is Jemu's reaction to his wife's going through his things in chapter 28 so severe that he rapes her?
8. In chapter 22, what does it tell us about Biju when he leaves his job at Brigitte's and begins working at the Ghandi Cafe?
9. How does Sai's having attended a Catholic school impact her identity in terms of the people around her?
10. Why is the judge so critical of Gyan in chapter 18?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)