|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the cook sell to supplement his income?
(a) Homemade jam.
(b) Homemade soup.
(c) Homemade brew.
(d) Homemade curry.
2. What advice does Noni give Sai while she is tutoring her?
(a) To aspire to become an astronaut, as her father did.
(b) To follow the path the judge has laid out for her.
(c) To concentrate on her studies.
(d) To do something out of the ordinary.
3. Why does Gyan feel embarrassed to be seen eating with Sai?
(a) She overeats.
(b) She is a messy eater.
(c) She has no table manners.
(d) Her manners are too English.
4. What type of school did Sai attend?
(a) A Protestant school.
(b) A public school.
(c) A progressive school.
(d) A Catholic school.
5. What does Sai serve to the judge at the beginning of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Gyan and Sai's first meeting, why does the cook think it strange that Gyan is Nepalese?
2. Into what caste was the judge's father born?
3. What do Gyan and Sai learn is in common about their backgrounds?
4. Why wasn't Gyan hired for the job in Calcutta?
5. What is Sai's reaction upon watching the police strip the cook of his pride?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 4, why do Sai and the cook justify the manner in which the police treated the cook?
2. What effect does Saeed Saeed have on Biju in chapter 14?
3. How are the romance and the civil unrest in chapter 20 presented in a similar way?
4. Why is Jemu's reaction to his wife's going through his things in chapter 28 so severe that he rapes her?
5. In chapter 21, how do Noni and Lola's views of the Nepalese liberation movement differ?
6. As described in chapter 12, what is the difference between the effects of Catholic school on Sai and Noni?
7. In chapter 24, how does Harish-Harry's comments about his workers contrast with the way he treats them?
8. In chapter 10, why do you think Biju is the only immigrant he knows who seriously considers returning home one day?
9. How is the judge's house like the judge himself?
10. In chapter 5, what is the symbolism of the two-level restaurants with basement kitchens where Biju works?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)