|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sai's reaction upon watching the police strip the cook of his pride?
2. When the judge returned from England for the first time, how did his family react to him?
(a) They were happy and welcoming.
(b) They were jealous and resentful.
(c) They were doubting and suspicious.
(d) They were nosy and judgmental.
3. In what types of places does Biju work?
(a) Fast-food establishments.
(d) Basement kitchens.
4. What was the job of the judge's father-in-law?
(a) A soldier in the British military.
(b) An informant for the British military.
(c) A supplier of horses to the British military.
(d) A supplier of horse feed to the British military.
5. Who is Sai's first tutor?
(a) Father Booty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sai serve to the judge at the beginning of the novel?
2. How does Gyan describe Sai and her father to his friends in Thapa's Canteen?
3. Why is Noni sometimes jealous of Lola?
4. How does Sai and Gyan's relationship change as they spend more time together?
5. How does Sai respond to Gyan's accusations about her being a copycat?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 29, why does Gyan betray Sai?
2. What is the significance of the elaborate Christmas celebration in chapter 25?
3. How does Sai's having attended a Catholic school impact her identity in terms of the people around her?
4. In chapter 21, how do Noni and Lola's views of the Nepalese liberation movement differ?
5. In chapter 29, how does Gyan begin to view Sai?
6. In chapter 23, what do Sai and Gyan discover they have in common?
7. Why is the judge so critical of Gyan in chapter 18?
8. In chapter 4, why do Sai and the cook justify the manner in which the police treated the cook?
9. Why is Jemu's reaction to his wife's going through his things in chapter 28 so severe that he rapes her?
10. In chapter 3, why doesn't Bijou consider himself a man?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)