|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened between the judge and his wife after these initial problems?
(a) They both became more understanding and their relationship improved.
(b) She became more understanding and their relationship improved.
(c) Their relationship worsened.
(d) He became more understanding and their relationship improved.
2. Where does Sai spend Christmas?
(a) Noni and Lola's house.
(b) At home with the judge and the cook.
(c) Father Booty's house.
(d) Gyan's house.
3. What percent of the Indian population are Gorkhas?
(a) Twenty percent.
(b) Fifty percent.
(c) Eighty percent.
(d) Ninety percent.
4. What type of person is Saeed Saeed?
5. Why does Gyan feel embarrassed to be seen eating with Sai?
(a) Her manners are too English.
(b) She overeats.
(c) She is a messy eater.
(d) She has no table manners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of memories are instilled in the judge by the theft of his trunk?
2. What request does the cook repeatedly make of Bijou?
3. Why does Biju take a job at the Ghandi Cafe?
4. After he joins the Liberation Movement, why is Gyan angered by all the time he spent with Sai?
5. Besides being with Sai, how does Gyan want to occupy his time?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 17, when Biju and Saeed part ways, why does Biju vow never to let anyone get close to him again?
2. In chapter 10, why do you think Biju is the only immigrant he knows who seriously considers returning home one day?
3. In chapter 5, what is the symbolism of the two-level restaurants with basement kitchens where Biju works?
4. In chapter 21, how do Noni and Lola's views of the Nepalese liberation movement differ?
5. In chapter 3, why doesn't Bijou consider himself a man?
6. Why is the judge so critical of Gyan in chapter 18?
7. In chapter 23, what do Sai and Gyan discover they have in common?
8. How does Sai's having attended a Catholic school impact her identity in terms of the people around her?
9. In chapter 4, why do Sai and the cook justify the manner in which the police treated the cook?
10. How is the judge's house like the judge himself?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)