|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Biju and Saeed Saeed feel about each other when they first meet?
(a) They dislike each other because of their different backgrounds.
(b) They like each other because of their common backgrounds.
(c) They like each other in spite of their different backgrounds.
(d) They dislike each other in spite of their common backgrounds.
2. Who is Sai's second tutor?
(a) Father Booty.
3. Where does a co-worker take Biju when his character is first introduced?
(a) To meet his family.
(b) To interview for a job.
(c) To a prostitute.
(d) To a bar.
4. Who built the judge's house?
(a) An Indian.
(b) An African.
(c) An American.
(d) A Scotsman.
5. How does Sai feel about the cook?
(a) She feels close to him.
(b) She finds his lower-class status distasteful.
(c) She dislikes him.
(d) She thinks their class differences are completely irrelevant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the job of the judge's father?
2. What type of school did Sai attend?
3. What does Gyan accuse Sai of?
4. What type of person is Saeed Saeed?
5. What is one of the main privileges the judge loses when he first returns from England?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 8, why is Jemu so determined to reject his father's traditional Indian customs by refusing to throw the coconut overboard?
2. What effect does Saeed Saeed have on Biju in chapter 14?
3. How are the romance and the civil unrest in chapter 20 presented in a similar way?
4. In chapter 10, why do you think Biju is the only immigrant he knows who seriously considers returning home one day?
5. In chapter 9, in what way is Lola portrayed as a hypocrite?
6. In chapter 23, what do Sai and Gyan discover they have in common?
7. What does the first chapter reveal about the social structures that exist between the introductory characters?
8. In chapter 29, how does Gyan begin to view Sai?
9. Why is Jemu's reaction to his wife's going through his things in chapter 28 so severe that he rapes her?
10. In chapter 5, what is the symbolism of the two-level restaurants with basement kitchens where Biju works?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)