|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the cook sell to supplement his income?
(a) Homemade brew.
(b) Homemade soup.
(c) Homemade curry.
(d) Homemade jam.
2. The first time Biju runs into Saeed after the closing of the bakery, what type of girl has Saeed married?
(a) A black American.
(b) An African.
(c) An Indian.
(d) A white American.
3. What request does the cook repeatedly make of Bijou?
(a) That he return to India.
(b) That he help others from his village who come to America.
(c) That he send the cook more money.
(d) That he bring the cook to America.
4. What does Gyan begin to realize about love as he and Sai grow apart?
(a) That he should enjoy her love while he has it.
(b) That they are too young to be in love.
(c) That it can be used for all kinds of purposes.
(d) That she is his one true love.
5. What group of men does Gyan join after the New Year?
(a) The Indian Army.
(b) The British Army.
(c) The Gorkha Liberation Army.
(d) The Nepalese Liberation Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Sai's parents die?
2. What does Sai serve to the judge at the beginning of the novel?
3. What happened between the judge and his wife after these initial problems?
4. How does Sai feel about the cook?
5. Why isn't Biju permitted to apply for a green card?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the first chapter reveal about the social structures that exist between the introductory characters?
2. In chapter 29, why does Gyan betray Sai?
3. Why is Jemu's reaction to his wife's going through his things in chapter 28 so severe that he rapes her?
4. As described in chapter 12, what is the difference between the effects of Catholic school on Sai and Noni?
5. How does Sai's having attended a Catholic school impact her identity in terms of the people around her?
6. In chapter 23, what do Sai and Gyan discover they have in common?
7. In chapter 17, when Biju and Saeed part ways, why does Biju vow never to let anyone get close to him again?
8. In chapter 26, why does Gyan begin regretting the time he spent with Sai as he becomes part of the liberation?
9. In chapter 4, why do Sai and the cook justify the manner in which the police treated the cook?
10. In chapter 8, why is Jemu so determined to reject his father's traditional Indian customs by refusing to throw the coconut overboard?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)