|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Biju telephone after talking to Mr. Iype?
(c) The judge.
(d) His father.
2. What does the judge threaten to do to the cook if he doesn't find his dog?
(a) Beat him.
(b) Starve him.
(c) Fire him.
(d) Kill him.
3. What is Biju doing as his father struggles to survive in the village that's been shut down?
(a) Trying to reach his father on the phone.
(b) Trying to find a job with better pay.
(c) Flying back home to be with his father.
(d) Planning his wedding.
4. Soon after his phone call, whom does Biju go to see?
(a) A hotel manager.
(b) A travel agent.
(c) A restaurant manager.
(d) A ship's captain.
5. What does Sai learn from the library book she skims?
(a) That the way she was raised makes her equal to the British.
(b) That all people are equal.
(c) That her people have never been equal to the British.
(d) That she is more British than Indian.
6. Who does Sai see marching with the Gorkhas?
(a) The cook.
(d) Uncle Potty.
7. In the judge' s memories of the last time he saw his friend Bose at a restaurant, what had they talked about?
(a) Their time together in Africa.
(b) Their time together in Australia.
(c) Their time together in America.
(d) Their time together in England.
8. What does the cook demand the judge do to him when he returns home without his dog?
(a) Berate him.
(b) Take away everything he owns.
(c) Beat him.
(d) Fire him.
9. What types of Indians does Biju encounter at the Calcutta airport?
(a) Mainly businessmen.
(b) Mainly those who worked with computers.
(c) A wide variety.
(d) Mainly menial laborers.
10. What do the wife and father of the tortured man steal from the judge?
(a) Canned food.
(c) His dog.
(d) Vegetables from the garden.
11. What does Biju have to do to obtain a visa?
(a) Answer all questions honestly.
(b) Produce false documents.
(c) Prove he has a job waiting in America.
(d) Promise to remain in America.
12. What does Sai tell Gyan is the purpose of her visit to his home?
(a) To discuss Father Booty's deportation.
(b) To reconcile with Gyan.
(c) To join the rebellion.
(d) To resume math tutoring.
13. How do the men in Thapa's Canteen respond to the cook's news that the judge's dog is missing?
(a) They tell him to go to the police.
(b) They laugh at him.
(c) They volunteer to help him search.
(d) They feel sorry for him.
14. When the judge asked his wife if she was stupid, what was her reply?
(a) That she was intelligent.
(b) That she wasn't as intelligent as he was.
(c) That he was the one who was stupid.
(d) That she wasn't stupid, just uninformed.
15. Why are there roadblocks, strikes, and processions in the spring?
(a) Because of famine.
(b) Because of war.
(c) Because of civil unrest.
(d) Because of the failing economy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Biju arrives in Kathmandu?
2. What do the police do to an innocent drunk man six months after the library visit?
3. What has Gyan told his friends in the liberation movement about Sai that makes him feel guilty?
4. What happens during the important protest?
5. When Sai sees someone approach the house at the end of the novel, who does she hope it is?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)