|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the judge remember as he was heading home from the restaurant?
(a) Taunting little boys at a bus stop.
(b) Being taunted by little boys at a bus stop.
(c) Being taunted by little boys on a bus.
(d) Taunting little boys on a bus.
2. How does Gyan's grandmother respond to his being part of the liberation effort?
(a) She supports it.
(b) She asks him why he wants to be involved.
(c) She forbids it.
(d) She cautions him to be careful.
3. What is the important protest to which a man from every household was required to attend?
(a) The re-writing of the Indo-Nepal treaty.
(b) The burning of the Indian constitution.
(c) The burning of the Indian flag.
(d) The burning of the Indo-Nepal treaty.
4. What does Sai learn from the library book she skims?
(a) That she is more British than Indian.
(b) That the way she was raised makes her equal to the British.
(c) That all people are equal.
(d) That her people have never been equal to the British.
5. What does Uncle Potty procure in Darjeeling?
6. When Sai thinks about her life and everyone's life around her, what does she decide to do?
(a) Reject Gyan.
(b) Leave home.
(c) Reconcile with Gyan.
(d) Stay and make things better.
7. What did the judge learn about his wife six months after sending her away?
(a) She was seeing another man.
(b) She was dying.
(c) She had consulted with a divorce lawyer.
(d) She was pregnant.
8. Soon after Biju's phone call, what does Mr. Iype tell Biju is the true name of the Hudson River?
(a) The River That Flows to the Sea.
(b) The Black River.
(c) The River That Flows in Circles.
(d) The River That Flows Both Ways.
9. What does the judge threaten to do to the cook if he doesn't find his dog?
(a) Beat him.
(b) Starve him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Fire him.
10. As they gain power, who do the GNLF use it against?
(a) The poor.
(b) The wealthy.
(c) The British.
(d) The Indians.
11. What happens to Father Booty six months after the library visit?
(a) He is detained for questioning.
(b) He is executed.
(c) He is imprisoned.
(d) He is deported.
12. How do the men in Thapa's Canteen respond to the cook's news that the judge's dog is missing?
(a) They feel sorry for him.
(b) They volunteer to help him search.
(c) They tell him to go to the police.
(d) They laugh at him.
13. What advice does Mr. Kakkar give Biju when Biju goes to see him?
(a) To remain in America.
(b) To go on safari.
(c) To go back to India.
(d) To take a cruise.
14. When Sai sees someone approach the house at the end of the novel, who does she hope it is?
(b) Father Booty.
(c) Uncle Potty.
15. What does Gyan's house look like?
(a) Dirty and poor.
(b) Dirty and formerly ornate.
(c) Clean and simple.
(d) Clean and ornate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soon after his phone call, whom does Biju go to see?
2. Where does Harish-Harry's future son-in-law live?
3. In the judge' s memories of the last time he saw his friend Bose at a restaurant, what had they talked about?
4. What do the GNLF boys do to Biju?
5. Soon after Biju's phone call, what does Biju start to tell people when he doesn't want to talk to them?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)