|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Biju doing as his father struggles to survive in the village that's been shut down?
(a) Planning his wedding.
(b) Trying to reach his father on the phone.
(c) Flying back home to be with his father.
(d) Trying to find a job with better pay.
2. Where does Harish-Harry's future son-in-law live?
(c) New Jersey.
3. What happens during the important protest?
(a) Lola and Noni are attacked.
(b) A deadly riot breaks out.
(c) Objectors chants peacefully.
(d) The police break up the protest.
4. When Sai confronts Gyan about his sudden changes in behavior toward her, how does he respond?
(a) He says his newfound strength has overcome his lust.
(b) He says he is weak and also part of the liberation army.
(c) He says he loves her, but she will have to wait for him.
(d) He says the army does not permit him to socialize with her.
5. What does the judge threaten to do to the cook if he doesn't find his dog?
(a) Fire him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Beat him.
(d) Starve him.
6. What was the big court case that Bose had lost?
(a) He tried to gain benefits equal to that of a white man.
(b) He tried to earn a salary equal to that of a white man.
(c) He tried to win a pension equal to that of a white man.
(d) He tried to win working conditions equal to those of the white men.
7. What is the first thing the judge prays for after years of being an atheist?
(a) That his health will improve.
(b) That his dog will be returned to him.
(c) That Sai will grow up in a better world.
(d) That the violence will cease.
8. What type of boy does Noni hope Sai is in love with?
9. What do the police do to an innocent drunk man six months after the library visit?
(a) Beat him.
(b) Gun him down.
(c) Hang him.
(d) Practice their torture techniques on him.
10. What does Sai learn from the library book she skims?
(a) That her people have never been equal to the British.
(b) That the way she was raised makes her equal to the British.
(c) That she is more British than Indian.
(d) That all people are equal.
11. Why do Sai and her neighbors travel to Darjeeling in March?
(a) To visit friends.
(b) To exchange their library books.
(c) To stock up on food.
(d) To see a show.
12. What happens when Biju arrives in Kathmandu?
(a) He discovers he's been swindled.
(b) He meets a young woman.
(c) He finds the training sub-par.
(d) He receives excellent training.
13. How does Biju react to the men who tell Indian girls they are as attractive as American blondes?
(a) The men wish they had blonde American girlfriends.
(b) The men are secretly having affairs with American women.
(c) The men feel sorry for the Indian girls.
(d) The men honestly find the American girls unattractive.
14. How did the cook's wife die?
(a) She was hit by a bus.
(b) She fell off a roof.
(c) She fell out of a tree.
(d) She was hit by a car.
15. What philosophical discussion did the judge and Bose have at the restaurant?
(a) Whether time moves at different rates.
(b) Whether man has free will.
(c) Whether life has meaning.
(d) Whether the past remains unchanged by the present.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the man respond when Lola complains about the crimes being committed against her?
2. What did the judge see the cook doing as he was heading home from the restaurant?
3. Who does Sai visit first while hoping Gyan will come back?
4. What advice does Mr. Kakkar give Biju when Biju goes to see him?
5. What does Biju have to do to obtain a visa?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)