|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cook thinking about his son as the judge is doing what he asked?
(a) That his son would be proud of him.
(b) That he and his son are estranged.
(c) That his son would be disappointed in him.
(d) That he has no son.
2. How does Gyan react when Sai tells him the purpose of her visit to his home?
(a) He promises to rectify the situation.
(b) He claims responsibility but is not sorry.
(c) He apologizes.
(d) He blames Sai.
3. What does Sai learn from the library book she skims?
(a) That her people have never been equal to the British.
(b) That the way she was raised makes her equal to the British.
(c) That all people are equal.
(d) That she is more British than Indian.
4. Who does the judge blame for the loss of his dog?
(a) The GNLF.
(b) The wife and father of the tortured man.
(c) The cook.
5. What happens to Father Booty six months after the library visit?
(a) He is detained for questioning.
(b) He is deported.
(c) He is imprisoned.
(d) He is executed.
6. How does Biju feel about his relationship with his father after his phone call?
(a) That his father would dislike the person he has become.
(b) That they are no longer part of each other's lives.
(c) That he no longer respects his father.
(d) That it is as if they still live in the same house.
7. What is Biju wearing as he approaches his father's house?
(a) A sari.
(b) Clothes the GNLF boys gave him.
(c) An American suit.
(d) A nightgown.
8. Soon after his phone call, what does Biju begin to think about his life?
(a) That it would have been better in India.
(b) That it hasn't amounted to much.
(c) That it's been better in America.
(d) That he's on the path to success.
9. What type of boy does Noni hope Sai is in love with?
10. What do the police do to an innocent drunk man six months after the library visit?
(a) Beat him.
(b) Gun him down.
(c) Practice their torture techniques on him.
(d) Hang him.
11. Soon after Biju's phone call, what does Biju start to tell people when he doesn't want to talk to them?
(a) He has taken a vow of silence.
(b) He doesn't speak English.
(c) He speaks only English.
(d) He is deaf and mute.
12. What does Biju hear over the phone?
(a) That all is well back home.
(b) That he should not return to India.
(c) That he should bring his father to America.
(d) That his father is unwell.
13. What does Sai tell Gyan is the purpose of her visit to his home?
(a) To discuss Father Booty's deportation.
(b) To join the rebellion.
(c) To reconcile with Gyan.
(d) To resume math tutoring.
14. When Biju arrives in Calcutta, how does the airline handle lost luggage?
(a) Non-resident Indians receive no compensation.
(b) Foreigners receive no compensation.
(c) Indian nationals receive no compensation.
(d) Only Indian nationals receive compensation.
15. How does Biju react to the men who tell Indian girls they are as attractive as American blondes?
(a) The men honestly find the American girls unattractive.
(b) The men are secretly having affairs with American women.
(c) The men wish they had blonde American girlfriends.
(d) The men feel sorry for the Indian girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Iype, the newsagent, tell Biju?
2. When Sai sees someone approach the house at the end of the novel, who does she hope it is?
3. What does Sai decide to do as her cold is waning?
4. Soon after his phone call, whom does Biju go to see?
5. How does Biju get from the bus station to his father's village?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)