|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Biju realize about Harry-Harish's two names?
(a) It is an attempt to live in two worlds and please two sets of gods.
(b) It is the result of his having one Indian parent and one American parent.
(c) It is an attempt to make himself sound loftier than his employees.
(d) It is his way of standing out.
2. Where does a co-worker take Biju when his character is first introduced?
(a) To a prostitute.
(b) To a bar.
(c) To interview for a job.
(d) To meet his family.
3. According to Sai, why can't Gyan find a decent job?
(a) Because he lacks experience.
(b) Because he isn't Westernized.
(c) Because he's not intelligent enough.
(d) Because he can't afford decent clothes for interviews.
4. Who built the judge's house?
(a) An Indian.
(b) An American.
(c) A Scotsman.
(d) An African.
5. What does Gyan mean when he calls Sai a copycat?
(a) That she is imitating Western culture.
(b) That she tries to be just like Lola and Noni.
(c) That she is trying to be just like Gyan.
(d) That she is a plagiarist.
6. How were Sai's parents killed?
(a) In a plane crash.
(b) As a form of capital punishment.
(c) In a car accident.
(d) In a riot.
7. How do Biju and Saeed Saeed feel about each other when they first meet?
(a) They dislike each other because of their different backgrounds.
(b) They dislike each other in spite of their common backgrounds.
(c) They like each other because of their common backgrounds.
(d) They like each other in spite of their different backgrounds.
8. Who is Harish-Harry?
(a) Biju's co-worker at Brigitte's.
(b) Biju's co-worker at the Ghandi Cafe.
(c) Biju's boss at Brigitte's.
(d) Biju's boss at the Ghandi Cafe.
9. Who does Sai wait for at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Her English tutor.
(b) Her math tutor.
(c) The cook.
(d) Her grandfather.
10. What effect did the judge's friend Bose have on him when he was living in England?
(a) He makes him more of a pessimist.
(b) He convinces the judge to hold onto his Indian ways.
(c) He helps the judge develop English mannerisms.
(d) He introduces him to important people.
11. What was the job of the judge's father-in-law?
(a) A soldier in the British military.
(b) A supplier of horse feed to the British military.
(c) An informant for the British military.
(d) A supplier of horses to the British military.
12. What happened between the judge and his wife after these initial problems?
(a) She became more understanding and their relationship improved.
(b) He became more understanding and their relationship improved.
(c) They both became more understanding and their relationship improved.
(d) Their relationship worsened.
13. In what types of places does Biju work?
(c) Fast-food establishments.
(d) Basement kitchens.
14. What does Noni believe about the Nepalese?
(a) They should be reduced to servitude.
(b) They are dangerous because there are so many of them.
(c) They should be expelled from India.
(d) They should have their own homeland.
15. Why is Biju fired from his delivery job?
(a) He hurts his leg and can no longer ride his delivery bike.
(b) His delivery bike is stolen.
(c) The food arrives cold.
(d) He is rude to the customers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Biju's job when his character is first introduced?
2. Why is Noni sometimes jealous of Lola?
3. Why does Gyan feel embarrassed to be seen eating with Sai?
4. Where did Sai's parents die?
5. What does Gyan accuse Sai of?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)