|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What types of memories are instilled in the judge by the theft of his trunk?
(a) Memories of his wife.
(b) Memories of his college years.
(c) Memories of his daughter.
(d) Memories of a cruise he took.
2. How does Sai feel about the cook?
(a) She thinks their class differences are completely irrelevant.
(b) She dislikes him.
(c) She feels close to him.
(d) She finds his lower-class status distasteful.
3. What was the job of the judge's father-in-law?
(a) A supplier of horse feed to the British military.
(b) An informant for the British military.
(c) A soldier in the British military.
(d) A supplier of horses to the British military.
4. How do Lola and Noni feel about Sai's relationship with the cook?
(a) They approve because he is a replacement child for her.
(b) They disapprove because he is beneath her.
(c) They disapprove because they dislike him.
(d) They approve because he is a father figure to her.
5. After Gyan and Sai's first meeting, why does the cook think it strange that Gyan is Nepalese?
(a) Gyan's clothing did not look Nepalese.
(b) He thinks the Nepalese aren't very intelligent.
(c) He thinks the Nepalese aren't very attractive.
(d) Gyan's accent did not sound Nepalese.
6. What did the judge do to his wife when he first returned from England?
(a) Yelled at her.
(b) Beat her.
(c) Slapped her.
(d) Raped her.
7. What effect does her first meeting with Gyan have on Sai?
(a) It makes her see herself as a woman.
(b) She dislikes him.
(c) It inspires her to work harder at her studies.
(d) She finds him unattractive.
8. What does Sai serve to the judge at the beginning of the novel?
9. What does Gyan accuse Sai of?
(a) Not being true to her ethnic heritage.
(b) Spending too much money on Christmas presents.
(c) Celebrating Hindu holidays.
(d) Not celebrating Christmas in the traditional manner.
10. Where does Biju live?
(a) In India.
(b) In England.
(c) In Nepal.
(d) In America.
11. What does Sai tell the cook after accepting Gyan's apology?
(a) That she plans to try to change Gyan.
(b) That she is in love with Gyan.
(c) That she plans to try to change herself for Gyan.
(d) That Gyan is not very intelligent.
12. What do the police examine at the cook's home?
(b) Letters from the cook's son.
(c) Letters from the cook's wife.
13. What do Saeed's in-laws encourage him to do?
(b) Work for them.
(c) Have children.
(d) Divorce their daughter.
14. Where do Harry-Harish and his family live?
(a) In a suburban home.
(b) In the restaurant with the employees.
(c) In a small apartment above the restaurant.
(d) In a large Manhattan townhouse.
15. Why is Gyan conflicted about his relationship with Sai?
(a) She is highly Westernized, like the British who used his family.
(b) It is taking time away from his studies.
(c) She is too young and naive for him.
(d) They are from different classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the judge attend college?
2. Why don't Lola and Noni trust their watchman?
3. What do Gyan and Sai learn is in common about their backgrounds?
4. What did his wife do when the judge first returned from England?
5. Why wasn't Gyan hired for the job in Calcutta?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)