|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is sent to the police station after the judge is robbed?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) The cook's son.
(c) The cook.
2. What was the job of the judge's father?
(a) A litigator.
(b) Finding false witnesses to appear in court.
(c) A defense attorney.
(d) An expert witness in court cases.
3. Why is Gyan conflicted about his relationship with Sai?
(a) It is taking time away from his studies.
(b) She is too young and naive for him.
(c) They are from different classes.
(d) She is highly Westernized, like the British who used his family.
4. Why was the judge able to marry a woman from a higher caste?
(a) The judge hid his true identity.
(b) The judge paid off her father.
(c) His wife was not desirable to men from her own caste.
(d) The judge was a member of the ICS.
5. What does Gyan realize as soon as he leaves Sai after apologizing?
(a) Their romance is worth preserving at any cost.
(b) He needs to try to change her mind.
(c) He needs to try to see things her way.
(d) Their romance is interfering with his new adult responsibilities.
6. How does Gyan react when Sai tells him about the Christmas party?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He is jealous.
(c) He is disappointed that she hadn't invited him.
(d) He is happy for her.
7. What do Gyan and Sai learn is in common about their backgrounds?
(a) Both attended Catholic schools.
(b) Both had family members who worked for the British Army.
(c) Gyan has Russian ancestors.
(d) Both are descended from judges.
8. What is one of the main privileges the judge loses when he first returns from England?
(a) His servants.
(b) His influence.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His privacy.
9. Where did Sai's parents die?
(a) In Pakistan.
(b) In America.
(c) In Russia.
(d) In India.
10. What do the police examine at the cook's home?
(b) Letters from the cook's son.
(c) Letters from the cook's wife.
11. What effect does her first meeting with Gyan have on Sai?
(a) She dislikes him.
(b) It makes her see herself as a woman.
(c) She finds him unattractive.
(d) It inspires her to work harder at her studies.
12. Where did the judge attend college?
13. Where does Sai spend Christmas?
(a) Gyan's house.
(b) At home with the judge and the cook.
(c) Father Booty's house.
(d) Noni and Lola's house.
14. In his second year abroad, why does the wife of Biju's boss give him toiletries?
(a) He can't afford to buy them himself.
(b) She thinks he smells.
(c) It is part of his room and board arrangement.
(d) She can get them very cheaply.
15. What is Lola's daughter Pixie's job?
(b) BBC news reporter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sai wait for at the beginning of the novel?
2. How do Biju and Saeed Saeed feel about each other when they first meet?
3. What does the cook sell to supplement his income?
4. According to Sai, why can't Gyan find a decent job?
5. When the bakery closes, how does Biju's separation from Saeed affect him?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)