|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Entropy" was first used by what individual to describe the unavailability of energy?
2. What did cosmologist George Gamow immediately recognize about DNA as a code and proposed that it could be deciphered mathematically?
3. What two disciplines of science were forced together by DNA?
4. Charles Bennet went on to design what method for passing information?
5. What is the relationship between humans and memes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Erwin Schrodinger used the concept of "entropy"?
2. What did Dawkins attribute the belief in God to?
3. What was zoologist's Richard Dawkins' theory on DNA?
4. What is the relationship between man and his memes?
5. What was discovered through the study of thermodynamics about the movement of energy?
6. What was found to be the make-up of DNA and what did these properties allow?
7. The connection of information with entropy and the physical realm was important to what physics discipline?
8. What was the "Library of Babel" that was described in a story by Jorge Luis Borges?
9. What are major differences between Wikipedia and the Encyclopedia Brittanica?
10. When was the existence of DNA discovered and by whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a meme? What is the role of a meme? What are some examples of memes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various theories on entropy. How was entropy important to information theory?
Essay Topic 3
What did Charles Bennet put forward to possibly replace "bits" in information processing? How was Bennet's work related to quantum physics?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)