|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the work known as the Principia Mathematica?
(a) Aristotle and Epecruis.
(b) Edwin Hubble and Isaac Newton.
(c) Bertrand Russell and Alfred North Whitehead.
(d) Galileo and Copernicus.
2. What was used in the earliest known method of writing language?
(a) Zeroes and ones.
3. in what year did John Carrington, an English missionary, publish "The Talking Drums of Africa"?
4. What was the goal of James Murray when he wrote the first Oxford English Dictionary in 1879?
(a) To alphabetize all words.
(b) To catalog the entire English language.
(c) To provide the pronunciation of all words.
(d) To limit the work to only proper English.
5. In the prologue to "The Information", what year does Gleick identify as a crucial year in the history of information and computing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Morse code comprised of?
2. How was the machine created by Charles Babbage received?
3. Who devised a way to multiply and divide numbers by adding or subtracting their logarithms?
4. Who invented the telegraph?
5. What culture grouped characters in categories such as tools, weapons, plants, animals, and buildings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What innovative device did Charles Babbage design and build?
2. What were examples of the use of mathematics in the Babylonian culture?
3. How did the development of the written language assist Greek philosophers in advancing mankind?
4. How was binary code of 0s and 1s which is the foundation for computing first conceived and by whom?
5. Who developed the Principia Mathematica and what did it provide?
6. Who first at the concept of "bandwith" and in what context was it first conceived?
7. While working on plans for this "analytical engine," Babbage struck an acquaintance with what young woman?
8. In modern times, what innovation has had the most impact on language?
9. What was the purpose of Cawdrey's wordbook, "A Table Alphabeticall?"
10. What was the purpose behind the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)