|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What jobs were created to handle the increasing number of telephone calls?
(a) Call center personnel.
(c) Office assistants.
(d) Switchboard operators.
2. What was provided in "A Table Alphabeticall"?
(a) Word meanings.
(b) New words.
(c) The history of alphabets.
(d) Alphabets of the world.
3. There was no "looking up" of information prior to what invention?
(b) Publishing houses.
(c) Printing machines.
(d) Pen and ink.
4. Shannon showed that it was theoretically possible to overcome any amount of signal noise by what action?
(a) By sending corrective bits of information.
(b) By changing locations.
(c) By creating the first anti-virus element.
(d) By limiting data.
5. What were conflicting statements created by the Principia Mathematica called?
(b) Circular arguments.
(c) False positives.
(d) Non-conclusive results.
Short Answer Questions
1. An alphabetical list did not take what element of the word into account at all, but mechanically placed it in a slot based on the order of the letters?
2. What were the interests of Charles Babbage, a brilliant Englishman who lived in the 19th century?
3. How did the drummers of Africa differentiate between similar words?
4. in what year did John Carrington, an English missionary, publish "The Talking Drums of Africa"?
5. Who developed a system of logic that would not have been possible without writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the two stages of a "bit" as conceived by Claude Shannon?
2. Why did Ada Lovelace publish her mathematical arguments anonymously?
3. While Shannon worked on secret cryptography projects for the US government during World War II, what theory about information did he conceive?
4. Who invented the telegraph and what is its fundamental functionality?
5. By the 1930s the telephone had replace the telegraph as the most advanced means of communication. What advantages did the telephone have over the telegraph?
6. Who first at the concept of "bandwith" and in what context was it first conceived?
7. In modern times, what innovation has had the most impact on language?
8. How was binary code of 0s and 1s which is the foundation for computing first conceived and by whom?
9. Who first conceived the idea of a machine that could think and under what circumstances?
10. What was the purpose behind the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)