|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invented the telegraph?
(a) Albert Einstein.
(b) Thomas Edison.
(c) Samuel Morse.
(d) Alexander Graham Bell.
2. What jobs were created to handle the increasing number of telephone calls?
(a) Call center personnel.
(c) Office assistants.
(d) Switchboard operators.
3. A new interest in what pursuit arose following the rise of the telegraph?
(c) The telephone.
(d) Computer Science.
4. Who wrote the work known as the Principia Mathematica?
(a) Aristotle and Epecruis.
(b) Bertrand Russell and Alfred North Whitehead.
(c) Galileo and Copernicus.
(d) Edwin Hubble and Isaac Newton.
5. What did Chaitin propose using to express a computable number into another form?
(a) By using complex calculations.
(b) By using the Turing machine.
(c) By using algebra,
(d) By using advanced calculus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shannon showed that it was theoretically possible to overcome any amount of signal noise by what action?
2. What development was the last stage of writing?
3. All known alphabets are based on the original alphabet that emerged about 1500 B.C. in what area?
4. What is the relationship between humans and memes?
5. Shannon proposed a solution for overcoming extra noise in his communication model that mimicked what early communicators?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)