|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do scientists categorize catchphrases like "Survival of the fittest" and "Read my lips"?
(a) As bits.
(b) As memes.
(c) As memories.
(d) As bytes.
2. What was changing language at the time the first English dictionary was developed?
(a) Travel and conquest.
(b) Advanced education.
(c) Increased population.
(d) International trade.
3. Claude Shannon and Alan Turing were working on separate cryptography project and shared what astounding possibility?
(a) That machines could take over the human race.
(b) That machines could think.
(c) That machines could have emotions.
(d) That machines could cure disease.
4. What uses one symbol to represent one "minimal sound"?
(a) The alphabet.
(b) Morse code.
(c) Radio waves.
(d) Sub-Saharan drums.
5. How are memes replicated?
(a) Through cloning.
(b) In response to disease.
(c) Through the maturation process.
(d) Through imitation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What development was the last stage of writing?
2. How was the machine created by Charles Babbage received?
3. An alphabetical list did not take what element of the word into account at all, but mechanically placed it in a slot based on the order of the letters?
4. How did Bertrand Russell address conflicting results produced by the Principia Mathematica? the problem of these recursive paradoxes by simply making them against the rules of his formal system.
5. How did Gregory Chaitin define random numbers?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)