|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game did Shannon plan to teach his computer to play?
(a) Gin rummy.
2. What theory was not only useful in practical communications, but had applications in psychology, biology, and physics?
(a) The information theory.
(b) The M-Theory.
(c) The theory of relativity.
(d) The Quantum theory.
3. What was the goal of James Murray when he wrote the first Oxford English Dictionary in 1879?
(a) To limit the work to only proper English.
(b) To alphabetize all words.
(c) To provide the pronunciation of all words.
(d) To catalog the entire English language.
4. What was the intent of the Principia Mathematica?
(a) To disprove the theory of relativity.
(b) To prove or disprove any statement.
(c) To confirm the theory of gravity.
(d) To prove or disprove quantum consciousness.
5. What about DNA allows it to split and replicate?
(a) Its shape.
(b) Its strength.
(c) Its innate energy.
(d) Its size.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggested that the meaning of the word "entropy" mean the opposite of what it was originally, to describe the part of energy which was available to be converted into work?
2. When were computers first unveiled?
3. What word book by Robert Cawdrey was published first in 1604?
4. What was the small device intended to replace bulky vacuum tubes perfected by Bell Laboratories called?
5. What new word did Claude Shannon, a mathematical researcher at Bell Labs, introduce in the in-house journal called "A Mathematical Theory of Communication"?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)