|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Each square of Turing's imaginary machine would have what coding?
(b) Relay switches.
(d) A 0 or a 1.
2. What word book by Robert Cawdrey was published first in 1604?
(a) The English Language.
(b) A Table Alphabeticall.
(c) The Written Word.
(d) Oxford English Dictionary.
3. Claude Shannon and Alan Turing were working on separate cryptography project and shared what astounding possibility?
(a) That machines could have emotions.
(b) That machines could take over the human race.
(c) That machines could cure disease.
(d) That machines could think.
4. What type of lists did Babbage create about livestock, fabric, letter combinations in various languages and other facts?
5. What does the word "entropy" describe in relationship to thermodynamics?
(a) The functionality of a system.
(b) The temperature of a system.
(c) The efficiency of a system.
(d) The availability of energy in a system.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rolf Landauer's opinion of John von Neumann's theory on the energy cost of information?
2. What claim did Shannon make about the predictable redundancy of the English language?
3. What process can measure the limits of the human mind?
4. The invention of what technology would make Shannon's theory of a computing machine practical?
5. What was the main form of communication in the late 1940s?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)