|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a fundamental problem in quantum mechanics?
(a) It is difficult to observe the quantum particle.
(b) Quantum mechanics is not a proven science.
(c) Particles are unstable at the quantum level.
(d) Observing a particle interferes with its behavior.
2. An alphabetical list did not take what element of the word into account at all, but mechanically placed it in a slot based on the order of the letters?
(a) Its importance.
(b) Its popularity.
(c) Its relevance.
(d) Its meaning.
3. How many years ago was the first language established?
(a) 100,000 years ago.
(b) 50,000 years ago.
(c) Between 4,500 and 8,000 years ago.
(d) Between 10,000 and 15,000 years ago.
4. What did Chaitin mean by a "computable" number?
(a) A number that could be expressed in a simpler form.
(b) A number that could be expressed in its square root value.
(c) A number that can be calculated.
(d) A number that is not a variable.
5. Why is the belief in God an enduring one?
(a) Beliefs are the only concepts that are passed on.
(b) The memes retain beliefs.
(c) Belief of God has been with mankind since the beginning.
(d) The belief is inherited.
Short Answer Questions
1. The invention of what technology would make Shannon's theory of a computing machine practical?
2. What is the most probable state for an arrangement of molecules in a system?
3. The connection of information with entropy and the physical realm proved to have applications in what type of physics?
4. How were phonetic sounds represented in language?
5. All known alphabets are based on the original alphabet that emerged about 1500 B.C. in what area?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)