|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Morse code based on?
(b) The alphabet.
(d) Dots and dashes.
2. Prior to the electric telegraph, an invention by the same name was created by Claude Chappe and his brothers during what conflict?
(a) The Spanish-American War.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Russian Revolution.
(d) World War I.
3. What word book by James Murray was first published in 1879?
(a) The Birth of Writing.
(b) Oxford English Dictionary.
(c) The First Language.
(d) A Table Alphabeticall.
4. While working on plans for this "analytical engine," Babbage struck an acquaintance with what individual?
(a) Lord Byron.
(b) Isaac Newton.
(c) John Simpson.
(d) Ada Lovelace.
5. What type of lists did Babbage create about livestock, fabric, letter combinations in various languages and other facts?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word book by Robert Cawdrey was published first in 1604?
2. What culture was the first to use a written language?
3. What were the benefits of the early logarithm tables?
4. How did the telegraph advance weather forecasting?
5. Who first thought of constructing a machine that could calculate logarithms?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)