|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The early telegraph had trouble functioning under what conditions?
(a) Fog and rain.
(b) Migratory seasons.
(c) Sunny skies.
2. Who first thought of constructing a machine that could calculate logarithms?
(a) Charles Babbage.
(b) John Napier.
(c) Issac Newton.
3. What uses one symbol to represent one "minimal sound"?
(a) Radio waves.
(b) Sub-Saharan drums.
(c) Morse code.
(d) The alphabet.
4. What did the written language provide that helped to progress the intellect of mankind?
5. What was used in the earliest known method of writing language?
(b) Zeroes and ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many words were contained in "A Table Alphabeticall?"
2. What culture grouped characters in categories such as tools, weapons, plants, animals, and buildings?
3. While working on plans for this "analytical engine," Babbage struck an acquaintance with what individual?
4. Before "A Table Alphabeticall", how were most catalogs and word lists arranged?
5. There was no "looking up" of information prior to what invention?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)