|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shannon showed that it was theoretically possible to overcome any amount of signal noise by what action?
(a) By creating the first anti-virus element.
(b) By limiting data.
(c) By changing locations.
(d) By sending corrective bits of information.
2. What jobs were created to handle the increasing number of telephone calls?
(a) Switchboard operators.
(c) Office assistants.
(d) Call center personnel.
3. What were the two essential elements of Shannon's simple communication model?
(a) A transmitter and a receiver.
(b) Grid and network.
(c) Circuit and grid.
(d) Two relay switches.
4. How many years ago was the first language established?
(a) Between 4,500 and 8,000 years ago.
(b) Between 10,000 and 15,000 years ago.
(c) 50,000 years ago.
(d) 100,000 years ago.
5. What culture was the first to use a written language?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does heat travel?
2. What is the modern meaning of "entropy"? "Entropy was not a kind of energy or an amount of energy," Gleick writes (p. 271). It was instead an abstract measurement of the unavailability of energy.
3. Why were there so many message errors with the early telegraph?
4. Entropy is the physical equivalent of what state?
5. What was the Morse code comprised of?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)