|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Norbert Weiner developed a theory that had implications for the understanding of what system of the human body which might be thought of as a system of switches and signals.
(a) The respiratory system.
(b) The artillery system.
(c) The circulatory system.
(d) The nervous system.
2. Who devised a way to multiply and divide numbers by adding or subtracting their logarithms?
(a) John Napier.
(b) Isaac Newton.
(d) Thomas Fincke.
3. Why did Lovelace publish her mathematical arguments anonymously?
(a) She didn't want to embarrass her father.
(b) She wasn't sure her arguments were correct.
(c) She didn't want to appear more intelligent than Babbage.
(d) Women were not expected to engage in scientific or academic efforts.
4. At an exclusive meeting in New York City, Shannon commented that the English language had what characteristic?
(a) A recognizable rhythm.
(b) A specific entropy.
(c) A unique dynamism.
(d) A special intonation.
5. What type of lists did Babbage create about livestock, fabric, letter combinations in various languages and other facts?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gregory Chaitin define random numbers?
2. What can a computable number be compressed into?
3. A psychologist named George Miller noticed that people seem to be able to easily remember up to how many items at a time?
4. What machine was constructed by Charles Babbage?
5. What can the amount of information in a message be expressed in?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)