|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Micheal Rogers's article about the Lacks family published?
2. On what date does Rebecca Skloot describe driving to clover in Part Three: Immortality, Chapter 38?
3. How old was Dr. Howard Jones in 2009 when The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks went to press?
4. Who was the renowned geneticist that founded the world's first human genetics department at Johns Hopkins?
5. When Deborah took Rebecca Skloot to meet her brother Zakariyya, she reminded her that she should never make the mistake of calling him by what name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe her meeting with Zakariyya in Part Three: Immortality – Chapter 30?
2. What did Cousin Gary do in order to calm down Deborah in Part Three: Immortality – Chapter 35?
3. How did Deborah's behavior change after her visit to Crownsville with Rebecca?
4. What information did Rebecca and Deborah discover about Elsie and the conditions she lived in at Crownsville in Part Three: Immortality – Chapter 33?
5. What agreement was made between Rebecca Skloot and Deborah Lacks regarding compensation for the publication of the book?
6. Why did Deborah Lacks fail to attend the Foundation for Cancer Research's event dedicated to her mother in Part Three: Immortality – Chapter 37?
7. What legal options does Rebecca Skloot describe for the Lacks family in the Afterword?
8. What statement did Susan Hsu make about her interactions with the Lacks family when she was interviewed by Rebecca Skloot?
9. What did Rebecca Skloot and Deborah Lacks encounter when they first arrived at Crownsville in Part Three: Immortality – Chapter 33?
10. What factors contributed to the Lacks family's distrust of Rebecca and of the scientific community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impacts of HeLa cells on Deborah Lacks. What misinformation caused Deborah to become paranoid when working with author Rebecca Skloot? Were Deborah's fears justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the case of Ted Slavin. What discovery did Ted Slavin make regarding his cells? Who assisted Ted Slavin in his endeavors? How did Slavin's situation differ from that of Henrietta Lacks?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the case of John Moore. What was the final outcome of Moore's lawsuit against UCLA and Dr. Golde? What precedents were set by this case? How does Moore's case relate to the Lackses'?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)