|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Henrietta Lacks's epileptic daughter when she died?
2. What did Joe Lacks change his name to after he converted to Islam in prison?
3. What sentence was Joe Lacks given for the second-degree murder of Eldridge Lee Ivy?
4. Who discovered radium and its ability to destroy cancer cells?
5. Where did Rebecca Skloot travel to in order to meet David "Sonny" Lacks Jr. in Part One: Life, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What illness was contracted within the Lacks family after Henrietta's death? How were they affected by this illness?
2. What advancements and discoveries were made due to research using HeLa cells from 1960-1966?
3. What were Mary Kubicek's impressions of HeLa cells when she first began observing them? What were George Gey's impressions of the cells?
4. How did Henrietta respond to the treatment she received at Johns Hopkins for cancer? Why do you think that Henrietta Lacks did not question any of the treatment she received?
5. What was the objective for Dr. Richard TeLinde in using cancer cells and samples from Howard Jones in his research?
6. Who established the first distribution center for HeLa cells? Where was it established?
7. How did Lawrence Lacks deal with the death of his mother? What led Lawrence into the military?
8. How does Mary Kubicek describe the instance when she first realized that Henrietta was "human" in Part Two: Death - Chapter 12?
9. What did Henrietta's doctors at Johns Hopkins find during her repeated visits in June of 1951?
10. How is Henrietta Lacks's early childhood described in the book? When and where was she born? Where did she grow up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When and where was the HeLa Factory established? What was its mission? Who was behind its development? What is the status of the HeLa Factory today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the case of John Moore. What was the final outcome of Moore's lawsuit against UCLA and Dr. Golde? What precedents were set by this case? How does Moore's case relate to the Lackses'?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of HeLa cells in hybridization research. When did scientist first create animal-human hybrid cells? What was the purpose of this study?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)