|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dug Henrietta's grave in Clover?
2. What researcher at the NIH used HeLa cells to develop the first standardized culture medium that could be made by the gallon and shipped ready to use?
3. What was the first publication to name the woman behind the HeLa cells in 1953?
4. What illness did Hector Henry suffer from during his childhood?
5. What was listed as the official cause of Henrietta Lacks's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the genre and narrative style of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. From whose perspective is the narrative related?
2. How were tissue samples obtained following Henrietta Lacks's death? Why were they obtained?
3. What role did Bobbette take in the family after marrying Lawrence? Why?
4. How did Henrietta respond to the treatment she received at Johns Hopkins for cancer? Why do you think that Henrietta Lacks did not question any of the treatment she received?
5. How did Henrietta meet David Lacks? How did their early relationship develop?
6. What diagnosis did the doctors from Johns Hopkins reach regarding Henrietta's condition after her first visit? What treatment was available at this time for her condition?
7. How did Lawrence Lacks deal with the death of his mother? What led Lawrence into the military?
8. How did the doctors at Johns Hopkins treat Henrietta Lacks after her recurrence of cancer in June of 1951?
9. What illness was contracted within the Lacks family after Henrietta's death? How were they affected by this illness?
10. What advancements and discoveries were made due to research using HeLa cells from 1960-1966?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the actions of the professionals at Johns Hopkins Hospital in the narrative. What unethical actions were committed by the professionals of this institution? How were these actions unethical?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of abuse, family, and loss in The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. What symbolism and imagery support these themes? What abuses were suffered by the Lacks family? How did the family members cope with grief and loss?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henrietta Lacks's diagnosis, treatment, and death. What type of cancer was Henrietta diagnosed with? What treatment was available for this type of cancer at the time? How would Henrietta's treatment have differed today?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)