|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who discovered radium and its ability to destroy cancer cells?
(a) Alexis Carrel.
(b) Sir Isaac Newton.
(c) Jonas Salk.
(d) Marie and Pierre Curie.
2. Cervical carcinomas are divided into two types. What are these types?
(a) Internal and external.
(b) Invasive and noninvasive.
(c) Radiant and specialized.
(d) Sedentary and biological.
3. How many people does Rebecca Skloot estimate that Chester Southam injected with living cancer cells during his career?
(a) About 200 people.
(b) About 300 people.
(c) Over 800 people.
(d) Over 600 people.
4. What discovery did the researchers make after sending HeLa cells into space in the 1960s?
(a) The cancer cells exploded in space.
(b) The cancer cells died in space.
(c) The cancer cells transformed into noncancerous cells in space.
(d) The cancer cells began dividing more quickly with each trip into space.
5. How old was Henrietta Lacks when she became pregnant with her fifth child?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did Henrietta marry David Lacks?
2. Who were Henrietta's cousins that she first told about the knot she felt in her womb, prior to her visit to the hospital?
3. How did Joe Lacks murder Eldridge Lee Ivy?
4. How old was Alexis Carrel when he invented the first technique for suturing blood vessels together?
5. When did George Papanicolaou publish a paper describing what is now known as the "Pap smear"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Henrietta respond to the treatment she received at Johns Hopkins for cancer? Why do you think that Henrietta Lacks did not question any of the treatment she received?
2. Why were HeLa cells useful in the study of virology and research into diseases? Was the malignant nature of the cells a factor?
3. How does the author describe the actions of Ethel and Galen in the narrative? What relationship did Ethel and Galen have to the Lackses?
4. How did Deborah Lacks respond to Rebecca Skloot when she first called her? What information did Rebecca learn from this call?
5. How did Henrietta meet David Lacks? How did their early relationship develop?
6. How does the author describe the setting of "Lacks Town" when she first visited in 1999?
7. Who established the first distribution center for HeLa cells? Where was it established?
8. What role did Bobbette take in the family after marrying Lawrence? Why?
9. What unethical actions were committed by virologist Chester Southam in his research with HeLa cells?
10. What was discovered during Henrietta Lacks's autopsy? Where had Henrietta's cancer spread?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)