|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the director of "Negro Activities" for the Tuskegee Institute when the HeLa Distribution Center was developed?
(a) Charles Bynum.
(b) Michael Rogers.
(c) Roland Pattillo.
(d) William Scherer.
2. Who discovered radium and its ability to destroy cancer cells?
(a) Sir Isaac Newton.
(b) Marie and Pierre Curie.
(c) Jonas Salk.
(d) Alexis Carrel.
3. What sentence was Joe Lacks given for the second-degree murder of Eldridge Lee Ivy?
(a) 15 years in prison.
(b) 5 years in prison.
(c) 30 years in prison.
(d) 10 years in prison.
4. Who was the press officer at the NFIP that wrote to George Gey in 1953 to say that he intended to write a more detailed article about Henrietta Lacks once her name was revealed in the press?
(a) Harry Eagle.
(b) Charles Bynum.
(c) William Scherer.
(d) Ronald H. Berg.
5. What year was it when a group of researchers at the National Institutes of Health had proven the possibility of immortal cells using mouse cells?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the pathologist who performed the autopsy on Henrietta Lacks?
2. What extra chromosome appears in individuals with Down syndrome?
3. When was Johns Hopkins Hospital founded?
4. When did the U.S.-led international war tribunal at Nuremberg sentence seven Nazi doctors to death for conducting unthinkable research on Jews without consent?
5. How old was Lawrence when he an Bobbette moved in together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who established the first distribution center for HeLa cells? Where was it established?
2. How does the author describe the setting of "Lacks Town" when she first visited in 1999?
3. What was the objective for Dr. Richard TeLinde in using cancer cells and samples from Howard Jones in his research?
4. Who is Roland Pattillo, and why did Rebecca Skloot contact him regarding the Lacks family? How did Pattillo respond to Rebecca's inquiries?
5. How is Henrietta Lacks's funeral described in Part Two: Death? Who attended Henrietta's funeral? Where was she buried?
6. What unethical actions were committed by virologist Chester Southam in his research with HeLa cells?
7. What role did Bobbette take in the family after marrying Lawrence? Why?
8. What led to the trial against Southam and Mendel? What sentence did the men receive?
9. How did Deborah Lacks respond to Rebecca Skloot when she first called her? What information did Rebecca learn from this call?
10. What were Mary Kubicek's impressions of HeLa cells when she first began observing them? What were George Gey's impressions of the cells?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)