|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the nickname of Henrietta's cousin that tried to kill himself when he found out that Henrietta was marrying David?
(a) Wild Willy.
(b) Jumpin' Joe.
(d) Crazy Joe.
2. Who was the preacher that led Rebecca Skloot to Speed's Grocery in Part One: Life, Chapter 9?
(a) Reverend Thompson.
(b) Reverend Jackson.
(c) Reverend Elmer.
(d) Reverend Wilson.
3. Who wrote the 1976 Rolling Stone article about the Lackses?
(a) Roland Pattillo.
(b) Dr. Richard Wesley TeLinde.
(c) Michael Rogers.
(d) Fred Garret.
4. For how long was Chester Southam's medical license suspended due to "fraud or deceit and unprofessional conduct in the practice of medicine" after he'd injected unknowing patients with cancer cells?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 3 years.
5. On what date did Henrietta Lacks first go to Johns Hopkins to have the knot in her womb examined?
(a) April 10, 1941.
(b) January 29, 1951.
(c) February 5, 1951.
(d) October 4, 1951.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the U.S.-led international war tribunal at Nuremberg sentence seven Nazi doctors to death for conducting unthinkable research on Jews without consent?
2. What U.S. President created the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis?
3. What was Hector Henry's nickname that he introduced himself as to Rebecca Skloot in Part One: Life, Chapter 10?
4. What researcher at the NIH used HeLa cells to develop the first standardized culture medium that could be made by the gallon and shipped ready to use?
5. Who was the gynecologist that examined Henrietta Lacks when she first went to Johns Hopkins Hospital to have the knot in her womb seen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Deborah Lacks respond to Rebecca Skloot when she first called her? What information did Rebecca learn from this call?
2. How is Henrietta Lacks's early childhood described in the book? When and where was she born? Where did she grow up?
3. How do you think Henrietta Lacks's life would have been different if her mother had not died when Henrietta was still a child? Why?
4. Who is Roland Pattillo, and why did Rebecca Skloot contact him regarding the Lacks family? How did Pattillo respond to Rebecca's inquiries?
5. Where did the name "Helen Lane" arise? How did the Lacks family feel about "Helen Lane"?
6. What diagnosis did the doctors from Johns Hopkins reach regarding Henrietta's condition after her first visit? What treatment was available at this time for her condition?
7. How did Henrietta meet David Lacks? How did their early relationship develop?
8. How does the author describe the setting of "Lacks Town" when she first visited in 1999?
9. How does the author describe Courtney Speed in the narrative? What business(es) did Ms. Speed run at the time the author first met her?
10. How were tissue samples obtained following Henrietta Lacks's death? Why were they obtained?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)