|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What best-selling book did Alexis Carrel publish that criticized an "error" in the U.S. Constitution of equality for all people?
(a) Man and Superman.
(b) An Error of Cells.
(c) Man, the Unknown.
(d) Lights Out.
2. What was Henrietta Lacks's name at birth?
(a) Helen Lane.
(b) Wilma Anderson.
(c) Henrietta Pleasant.
(d) Loretta Pleasant.
3. What sentence was Joe Lacks given for the second-degree murder of Eldridge Lee Ivy?
(a) 5 years in prison.
(b) 15 years in prison.
(c) 30 years in prison.
(d) 10 years in prison.
4. Who was the Harvard anesthesiologist that published a study in the New England Journal of Medicine showing that Chester Southam's cancer research was just one of hundreds of similarly unethical cases?
(a) Henry Beecher.
(b) Harry Eagle.
(c) Michael Rogers.
(d) Emanuel Mandel.
5. What is described in Part Two: Death, Chapter 13 as "an essential part of science"?
6. Where was Roland Pattillo working as a professor of gynecology when Rebecca Skloot first contacted him regarding Henrietta Lacks?
(a) UCLA School of Medicine.
(b) Harvard School of Medicine.
(c) Morehouse School of Medicine.
(d) Sewanee School of Medicine.
7. How did Joe Lacks murder Eldridge Lee Ivy?
(a) He strangled him.
(b) He hit him in his car.
(c) He stabbed him.
(d) He shot him.
8. What war was Lawrence Lacks drafted into after lying about his age to get into pool halls?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) The Afghanistan War.
(d) The Vietnam War.
9. When were HeLa cells fused with mouse cells to create the first animal-human hybrid cells?
10. How old was Henrietta Lacks's epileptic daughter when she died?
11. How old was Deborah Lacks when she became pregnant with her first child?
12. Who were the two British scientists that fused HeLa cells with mouse cells, creating the first human-animal hybrids?
(a) Alexis Carrel and Jonas Salk.
(b) Marie and Pierre Curie.
(c) Henry Harris and John Watkins.
(d) Roland Pattillo and Michael Rogers.
13. What was Hector Henry's nickname that he introduced himself as to Rebecca Skloot in Part One: Life, Chapter 10?
14. For how long was Chester Southam's medical license suspended due to "fraud or deceit and unprofessional conduct in the practice of medicine" after he'd injected unknowing patients with cancer cells?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 5 years.
15. When did the Tuskegee syphilis study begin, as described by the author in Part One: Life, Chapter 6?
(a) The 1930s.
(b) The 1880s.
(c) The 1940s.
(d) The 1920s.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joe Lacks change his name to after he converted to Islam in prison?
2. Who was the director of "Negro Activities" for the Tuskegee Institute when the HeLa Distribution Center was developed?
3. Who dug Henrietta's grave in Clover?
4. When did Alexis Carrel grow an "immortal chicken heart"?
5. What nickname did Deborah Lacks have within her family?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)