|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the 1976 Rolling Stone article about the Lackses?
(a) Roland Pattillo.
(b) Dr. Richard Wesley TeLinde.
(c) Michael Rogers.
(d) Fred Garret.
2. How old was Henrietta when she gave birth to her first child?
3. Who were the business partners that owned Microbiological Associates in the 1950s?
(a) Dr. Richard Wesley TeLinde and George Gey.
(b) Samuel Reader and Monroe Vincent.
(c) Charles Bynum and William Scherer.
(d) Harry Eagle and Fred Garret.
4. What researcher at the NIH used HeLa cells to develop the first standardized culture medium that could be made by the gallon and shipped ready to use?
(a) Roland Pattillo.
(b) Harry Eagle.
(c) Roland Pattillo.
(d) Charles Bynum.
5. Who was the gynecologist that examined Henrietta Lacks when she first went to Johns Hopkins Hospital to have the knot in her womb seen?
(a) Dr. Richard Wesley TeLinde.
(b) Dr. Howard Jones.
(c) Dr. William Scherer.
(d) Dr. Roland Pattillo.
6. How old was Deborah Lacks when Rebecca Skloot first called her to talk about her mother?
(a) Almost 30.
(b) Almost 60.
(c) Almost 40.
(d) Almost 50.
7. What was the name of the pathologist who performed the autopsy on Henrietta Lacks?
(a) Dr. Gey.
(b) Dr. Rogers.
(c) Dr. Wilbur.
(d) Dr. Jones.
8. On what date did Henrietta Lacks die?
(a) April 10, 1941.
(b) January 29, 1951.
(c) February 5, 1951.
(d) October 4, 1951.
9. In what year did the term "informed consent" first appear in court documents regarding the case of patient Martin Salgo?
10. Who discovered radium and its ability to destroy cancer cells?
(a) Jonas Salk.
(b) Marie and Pierre Curie.
(c) Alexis Carrel.
(d) Sir Isaac Newton.
11. How old was Deborah Lacks when she became pregnant with her first child?
12. What was the name of Henrietta Lacks's father?
(a) Johnny Pleasant.
(b) William Lacks.
(c) Tommy Lacks.
(d) David Lacks.
13. What war was Lawrence Lacks drafted into after lying about his age to get into pool halls?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Afghanistan War.
14. What discovery did the researchers make after sending HeLa cells into space in the 1960s?
(a) The cancer cells exploded in space.
(b) The cancer cells began dividing more quickly with each trip into space.
(c) The cancer cells died in space.
(d) The cancer cells transformed into noncancerous cells in space.
15. How many people does Rebecca Skloot estimate that Chester Southam injected with living cancer cells during his career?
(a) Over 800 people.
(b) Over 600 people.
(c) About 200 people.
(d) About 300 people.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were HeLa cells fused with mouse cells to create the first animal-human hybrid cells?
2. What is described in Part Two: Death, Chapter 13 as "an essential part of science"?
3. What was the nickname of Henrietta's cousin that tried to kill himself when he found out that Henrietta was marrying David?
4. When did George Papanicolaou publish a paper describing what is now known as the "Pap smear"?
5. On what date did the gynecologist from Johns Hopkins Hospital call and inform Henrietta Lacks that she had a malignant tumor?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)