|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Henrietta Lacks born?
(a) Plainfield, New Jersey.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) Brooklyn, New York.
(d) Roanoke, Virginia.
2. Who was the preacher that led Rebecca Skloot to Speed's Grocery in Part One: Life, Chapter 9?
(a) Reverend Elmer.
(b) Reverend Jackson.
(c) Reverend Thompson.
(d) Reverend Wilson.
3. Where did Chester Southam advertise for medical research volunteers in May of 1956?
(a) The New York Times classifieds.
(b) Rutgers University newsletter.
(c) The Ohio State Penitentiary newsletter.
(d) Sing Sing Prison newsletter.
4. What sentence was Joe Lacks given for the second-degree murder of Eldridge Lee Ivy?
(a) 30 years in prison.
(b) 5 years in prison.
(c) 15 years in prison.
(d) 10 years in prison.
5. How many people does Rebecca Skloot estimate that Chester Southam injected with living cancer cells during his career?
(a) About 200 people.
(b) Over 600 people.
(c) About 300 people.
(d) Over 800 people.
6. How old was Henrietta when she gave birth to her first child?
7. How old was Deborah Lacks when Rebecca Skloot first called her to talk about her mother?
(a) Almost 40.
(b) Almost 60.
(c) Almost 50.
(d) Almost 30.
8. For how long was Chester Southam's medical license suspended due to "fraud or deceit and unprofessional conduct in the practice of medicine" after he'd injected unknowing patients with cancer cells?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 5 years.
9. Who were Henrietta's cousins that she first told about the knot she felt in her womb, prior to her visit to the hospital?
(a) Joe and Fred.
(b) Tommy and Sarah.
(c) Sadie and Margaret.
(d) Cliff and Cootie.
10. When did George Papanicolaou publish a paper describing what is now known as the "Pap smear"?
11. Who was Henrietta's grandfather that raised her after her mother died?
(a) David Lacks.
(b) William Lacks.
(c) Tommy Lacks.
(d) Johnny Pleasant.
12. What war was Lawrence Lacks drafted into after lying about his age to get into pool halls?
(a) The Afghanistan War.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) World War II.
13. What was Hector Henry's nickname that he introduced himself as to Rebecca Skloot in Part One: Life, Chapter 10?
14. What was the name of Deborah Lacks's first child?
(a) Henry Harris.
(b) Fred Garret.
(c) Harry Eagle.
(d) Alfred Carter.
15. When were HeLa cells fused with mouse cells to create the first animal-human hybrid cells?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the BBC documentary that Courtney Speed borrowed from the library to show to Rebecca Skloot when she visited Turner Station?
2. What was the first publication to name the woman behind the HeLa cells in 1953?
3. Where was Roland Pattillo working as a professor of gynecology when Rebecca Skloot first contacted him regarding Henrietta Lacks?
4. What nickname did Dr. Richard Wesley TeLinde have at John's Hopkins in the 1950s?
5. What disease nearly killed Henrietta's youngest son Joe not long after her death?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)