|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Afterword.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image did Mary Kubicek describe to the author as having instilled in her the realization that Henrietta Lacks was "a real person" in Part Two: Death, Chapter 12?
(a) A pearl-encased locket.
(b) Henrietta's wedding ring.
(c) Smeared lipstick.
(d) Chipped red toenail polish.
2. For how long was Chester Southam's medical license suspended due to "fraud or deceit and unprofessional conduct in the practice of medicine" after he'd injected unknowing patients with cancer cells?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 6 months.
3. Where was researcher Chester Southam the chief virologist in 1954 when he began injecting cancer patients with HeLa cells?
(a) Sloan-Kettering Institute for Cancer Research.
(b) The MIT Center for Cancer Research.
(c) The Harvard School of Medicine Center for Cancer Research.
(d) The Johns Hopkins Center for Cancer Research.
4. When did the U.S.-led international war tribunal at Nuremberg sentence seven Nazi doctors to death for conducting unthinkable research on Jews without consent?
(a) April 10, 1941.
(b) February 5, 1951.
(c) January 29, 1951.
(d) August 20, 1947.
5. What was the population of Clover, Virginia, in 1998?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did John Moore die?
2. Which of Henrietta Lacks's children did not attend her funeral or know she'd died, according to the author in Part Two: Death, Chapter 12?
3. Who wrote the 1976 Rolling Stone article about the Lackses?
4. Who was the curator at the Smithsonian Museum of American History that invited the Lacks family to an event at the museum?
5. What comparison did the researcher at Johns Hopkins make for a person's cells and their rights to a portion of the profits for those cells in Part Three: Immortality, Chapter 32?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)