Part One: Life – Chapters 1 - 5
• The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is a nonfiction book by Rebecca Skloot.
• In Chapter 1: The Exam… 1951, the author introduces Henrietta Lacks as she rushed into Johns Hopkins Hospital to the gynecology clinic due to a “knot” on her womb.
• Located in Baltimore, Johns Hopkins was one of the top hospitals in the nation; many hospitals didn’t treat African-Americans at the time, but Johns Hopkins had a black ward.
• Howard Jones, the gynecologist on duty, examined Henrietta; Jones found the lump and took a biopsy and sent it to the pathology lab.
• In Chapter 2: Clover… 1920 – 1942, the author describes Henrietta’s childhood.
• Henrietta Lacks was born on August 1, 1920, in Roanoke, Virginia; her birth name was Loretta Pleasant.
• Henrietta’s mother died giving birth to a tenth child and Henrietta’s father took the children to Clover and divided the kids up among several...
This section contains 2,407 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)