|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a single complete page, front and back, in a finished book?
2. What production company, recognizing that actors and actresses would demand higher pay if they became well known, refused to give their names?
3. What refers to a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing, photographed, painted, sculptured, or otherwise made visible?
4. Boorstin concludes that the United States in now locked in a pattern of "____" in which "we have fallen in love with our own image."
5. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin asserts that America has experienced a move from what to images?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the third aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
2. How does Boorstin compare domestic and foreign issues in Chapter 6 - Section III?
3. What is the second aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
4. How does Boorstin define movies as a pseudo-event?
5. What suggestion does Boorstin state for Americans to improve their image to the world?
6. What shift in the American psyche does Boorstin describe in Chapter 6 - Section I?
7. What are the first two aspects of images discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
8. What changes to the printing industry does Boorstin describe in Chapter 4 - Section I?
9. What does Boorstin believe is responsible for the mass production of art? What effect does this cause?
10. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define pseudo-event. How does Boorstin apply this term to American culture today? How did the pseudo-event develop?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the evolution of tourism in America. How did the car change travel? How did the airplane? What effect have these advances had, according to Boorstin?
Essay Topic 3
What are the characteristics described of the pseudo-event in Chapter 1? Define each and give examples from the text.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)