|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a single complete page, front and back, in a finished book?
2. What French sociologist, philosopher, cultural theorist, and photographer is frequently associated with postmodernism and post-structuralism?
3. What is the second characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
4. In Chapter 6 - Section II, Boorstin warns that America has spent too much time attempting to "perfect our image rather than" what?
5. Boorstin writes that we are left with the "invention of experience" rather than its what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin write of the evolution of linguistics and the pseudo-event in Chapter 6 - Section III?
2. What is the first aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? What example does he provide?
3. What is Boorstin's subject in Chapter 6 - Section IV? How is the effect discussed defined?
4. What suggestions does Boorstin give to the American people at the close of the book?
5. What does Boorstin assert is the impact of art reproductions?
6. What was the impact of Muzak, according to Boorstin?
7. What are the first two aspects of images discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
8. What changes took place in the binding industry for printmaking? What effect did this have?
9. What does Boorstin believe is responsible for the mass production of art? What effect does this cause?
10. What shift in the American psyche does Boorstin describe in Chapter 6 - Section I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define pseudo-event. How does Boorstin apply this term to American culture today? How did the pseudo-event develop?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the impact of the development of the hotel and motel industry in America. Where and how did Conrad Hilton establish his first hotel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Charles Lindbergh as depicted in the text. How did Lindbergh's fame evolve from heroism to celebrity?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)