|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Publishers' Weekly first published?
2. When was Reader's Digest founded?
3. Boorstin writes that our enemies profit from the fact they are known only, or primarily, through their what?
4. What refers to the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something?
5. In Chapter 5 - Section IV, Boorstin states, "By sharpening our images we have blurred all our" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the impact of Muzak, according to Boorstin?
2. What is the second aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
3. What does Boorstin assert is the impact of art reproductions?
4. What does Boorstin assert are the greatest challenges for America and our relationship to the rest of the world?
5. What is the third aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
6. What changes to the printing industry does Boorstin describe in Chapter 4 - Section I?
7. What does Boorstin write of stage and film adaptations in Chapter 4 - Section VI?
8. How does Boorstin define "passivity" in the image in Chapter 5 - Section I?
9. What is Boorstin's subject in Chapter 6 - Section IV? How is the effect discussed defined?
10. What is the first aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? What example does he provide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Thomas Cook. What impact did Cook have on the tourism industry? How?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Charles Lindbergh as depicted in the text. How did Lindbergh's fame evolve from heroism to celebrity?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Adolph Hitler's discussion of propaganda in Mein Kampf. How did Hitler implement this technique in order to gain control in Germany?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)