|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin suggests in Chapter 6 - Section III that Americans live in a sort of what?
2. Boorstin writes in Chapter 6 - Section III, "We fill our lives not with experience but with the ____ of experience."
3. The second aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
4. What does Boorstin write essentially means that people have accepted and bought into the image that we are trying to uphold?
5. What editor and co-editor of Publishers' Weekly guided the publication through much of the 20th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
2. What does Boorstin believe is responsible for the mass production of art? What effect does this cause?
3. What changes took place in the binding industry for printmaking? What effect did this have?
4. What suggestion does Boorstin state for Americans to improve their image to the world?
5. What is Boorstin's subject in Chapter 6 - Section IV? How is the effect discussed defined?
6. What shift in the American psyche does Boorstin describe in Chapter 6 - Section I?
7. What are the first two aspects of images discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
8. What is the third aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
9. What was the impact of Muzak, according to Boorstin?
10. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss museums as a tourist destination. What does Boorstin assert of the "authenticity" of museums?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Boorstin's distinction between "folk" and "mass" in the creation and recognition of heroes.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Adolph Hitler's discussion of propaganda in Mein Kampf. How did Hitler implement this technique in order to gain control in Germany?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)