|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing, photographed, painted, sculptured, or otherwise made visible?
2. What book by Walter Lippman does Boorstin discuss in Chapter 5 - Section VI?
3. What does Boorstin describe as a kind of pseudo-event, especially in the sense that they were "more vivid and more impressive than the spontaneous original"?
4. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin suggests that America return to its ____ and cease communicating with the rest of the world in image.
5. When did P.T. Barnum purchase Scudder's American Museum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
2. What is the fourth aspect of the image, according to Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
3. What does Boorstin write of the evolution of linguistics and the pseudo-event in Chapter 6 - Section III?
4. How does Boorstin compare domestic and foreign issues in Chapter 6 - Section III?
5. How does Boorstin define "ideal-thinking" and "image-thinking"?
6. What does Boorstin believe is responsible for the mass production of art? What effect does this cause?
7. What is Boorstin's subject in Chapter 6 - Section IV? How is the effect discussed defined?
8. What suggestion does Boorstin state for Americans to improve their image to the world?
9. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
10. Why does Boorstin believe the American image is viewed negatively by other nations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the impact of the development of the hotel and motel industry in America. Where and how did Conrad Hilton establish his first hotel?
Essay Topic 2
How does Boorstin define the term "celebrity"? What impact did this definition have on scholars and the American public? How and to whom does this definition apply today?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contract the definitions of Boorstin for "hero" and "celebrity." How do heroes and celebrities differ in their creation and their demise?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)