|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Daniel J. Boorstin born?
2. When does Boorstin say books began to be made cheaper, due to a variety of factors, in Chapter 4 - Section I?
3. Boorstin suggests in Chapter 6 - Section III that Americans live in a sort of what?
4. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin asserts that America has experienced a move from what to images?
5. Who developed an early printing press in 1436?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin define "ideal-thinking" and "image-thinking"?
2. What is the first aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? What example does he provide?
3. What does Boorstin write of the evolution of linguistics and the pseudo-event in Chapter 6 - Section III?
4. How does Boorstin define movies as a pseudo-event?
5. What is the third aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
6. What suggestions does Boorstin give to the American people at the close of the book?
7. What are the first two aspects of images discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
8. What is the fourth aspect of the image, according to Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
9. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
10. What is the second aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contract the definitions of Boorstin for "hero" and "celebrity." How do heroes and celebrities differ in their creation and their demise?
Essay Topic 2
How are stereotypes distinguished from pseudo-events and propaganda by Boorstin? Who does Boorstin cite in defining stereotype?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Karl Baedeker? What advances did he make in the tourism industry? What were the effects?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)