|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Reader's Digest based?
2. What refers to purpose or attitude toward the effect of one's actions or conduct?
3. When was Publishers' Weekly first published?
4. When was Daniel J. Boorstin born?
5. When was Reader's Digest founded?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first two aspects of images discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
2. What does Boorstin believe is responsible for the mass production of art? What effect does this cause?
3. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
4. What suggestion does Boorstin state for Americans to improve their image to the world?
5. What is the third aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
6. What does Boorstin write of stage and film adaptations in Chapter 4 - Section VI?
7. What was the impact of Muzak, according to Boorstin?
8. What is the second aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
9. What does Boorstin assert are the greatest challenges for America and our relationship to the rest of the world?
10. What does Boorstin write of the evolution of linguistics and the pseudo-event in Chapter 6 - Section III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution and advances in the printing and binding industry and their effect on culture. How does Boorstin relate printmaking advances to the pseudo-event?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the evolution of tourism in America. How did the car change travel? How did the airplane? What effect have these advances had, according to Boorstin?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Karl Baedeker? What advances did he make in the tourism industry? What were the effects?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)