|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Boorstin say books began to be made cheaper, due to a variety of factors, in Chapter 4 - Section I?
2. What refers to reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes?
3. What refers to the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something?
4. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin asserts that America has experienced a move from what to images?
5. What refers to something that is changed or modified to suit new conditions or needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin define movies as a pseudo-event?
2. How does Boorstin compare domestic and foreign issues in Chapter 6 - Section III?
3. What was the impact of Muzak, according to Boorstin?
4. What does Boorstin assert is the impact of art reproductions?
5. What changes took place in the binding industry for printmaking? What effect did this have?
6. How does Boorstin define "ideal-thinking" and "image-thinking"?
7. What is the second aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
8. What are the first two aspects of images discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
9. What does Boorstin assert are the greatest challenges for America and our relationship to the rest of the world?
10. What is the fourth aspect of the image, according to Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Karl Baedeker? What advances did he make in the tourism industry? What were the effects?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the impact of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Joseph McCarthy on the pseudo-event in American politics.
Essay Topic 3
How does Boorstin define "the leak"? What is its purpose? What example does he give from the 1950s?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)