|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the science of language, including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics?
2. When was Publishers' Weekly first published?
3. Who developed an early printing press in 1436?
4. What book by Walter Lippman does Boorstin discuss in Chapter 5 - Section VI?
5. What word does Boorstin suggest we created out of the need to express the specialness of that which is real, in Chapter 6 - Section III?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
2. What is the first aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? What example does he provide?
3. What changes to the printing industry does Boorstin describe in Chapter 4 - Section I?
4. What does Boorstin assert are the greatest challenges for America and our relationship to the rest of the world?
5. What is Boorstin's subject in Chapter 6 - Section IV? How is the effect discussed defined?
6. What was the impact of Muzak, according to Boorstin?
7. What does Boorstin believe is responsible for the mass production of art? What effect does this cause?
8. What are the first two aspects of images discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
9. How does Boorstin define "passivity" in the image in Chapter 5 - Section I?
10. What does Boorstin suggest was the impact of Reader's Digest on the populace? What is Reader's Digest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the impact of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Joseph McCarthy on the pseudo-event in American politics.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effect and influence of the development and publication of digests, such as "Reader's Digest." What does Boorstin conclude the effect was on literature?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and describe the evolution of tourism in America. How did the car change travel? How did the airplane? What effect have these advances had, according to Boorstin?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)