|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What production company, recognizing that actors and actresses would demand higher pay if they became well known, refused to give their names?
2. What system does Boorstin assert affected "traditional forms of achievement," in Chapter 4 - Section VIII?
3. What is the fifth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
4. Boorstin suggests that the graphic revolution and what else are mostly responsible for the abridgment and the mass production of art?
5. Whose best-known films are The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra, and The Greatest Show on Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes took place in the binding industry for printmaking? What effect did this have?
2. What are the first two aspects of images discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
3. What shift in the American psyche does Boorstin describe in Chapter 6 - Section I?
4. What does Boorstin assert is the impact of art reproductions?
5. What is the fourth aspect of the image, according to Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
6. What is the first aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? What example does he provide?
7. What does Boorstin believe is responsible for the mass production of art? What effect does this cause?
8. How does Boorstin define movies as a pseudo-event?
9. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
10. What suggestions does Boorstin give to the American people at the close of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Boorstin's distinction between "folk" and "mass" in the creation and recognition of heroes.
Essay Topic 2
How are pseudo-events distinguished from propaganda? What is the purpose of each? What is the effect of each?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contract the definitions of Boorstin for "hero" and "celebrity." How do heroes and celebrities differ in their creation and their demise?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)