|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Boorstin suggests that the greatest challenge Americans are now dealing with is what?
2. Boorstin writes that our enemies profit from the fact they are known only, or primarily, through their what?
3. What refers to reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes?
4. Who invented the steam powered rotary printing press in 1843 in the United States?
5. Whose best-known films are The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra, and The Greatest Show on Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes to the printing industry does Boorstin describe in Chapter 4 - Section I?
2. What suggestions does Boorstin give to the American people at the close of the book?
3. What does Boorstin believe is responsible for the mass production of art? What effect does this cause?
4. What shift in the American psyche does Boorstin describe in Chapter 6 - Section I?
5. What is the first aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? What example does he provide?
6. What does Boorstin assert are the greatest challenges for America and our relationship to the rest of the world?
7. What is Boorstin's subject in Chapter 6 - Section IV? How is the effect discussed defined?
8. What does Boorstin write of stage and film adaptations in Chapter 4 - Section VI?
9. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
10. What suggestion does Boorstin state for Americans to improve their image to the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contract the definitions of Boorstin for "hero" and "celebrity." How do heroes and celebrities differ in their creation and their demise?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss museums as a tourist destination. What does Boorstin assert of the "authenticity" of museums?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and describe the evolution of tourism in America. How did the car change travel? How did the airplane? What effect have these advances had, according to Boorstin?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)