|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something?
2. Where is Reader's Digest based?
3. Who founded Reader's Digest?
4. What refers to something that exists independently of ideas concerning it?
5. The third aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin compare domestic and foreign issues in Chapter 6 - Section III?
2. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
3. What was the impact of Muzak, according to Boorstin?
4. What suggestion does Boorstin state for Americans to improve their image to the world?
5. What is the second aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
6. What does Boorstin assert is the impact of art reproductions?
7. Why does Boorstin believe the American image is viewed negatively by other nations?
8. What changes took place in the binding industry for printmaking? What effect did this have?
9. How does Boorstin define movies as a pseudo-event?
10. What does Boorstin suggest was the impact of Reader's Digest on the populace? What is Reader's Digest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Karl Baedeker? What advances did he make in the tourism industry? What were the effects?
Essay Topic 2
Boorstin posits that there are two main "extravagant expectations" that Americans hold. What are these and what are examples of each?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Thomas Cook. What impact did Cook have on the tourism industry? How?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)