|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something?
2. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin suggests that America return to its ____ and cease communicating with the rest of the world in image.
3. What editor and co-editor of Publishers' Weekly guided the publication through much of the 20th century?
4. Who invented the steam powered rotary printing press in 1843 in the United States?
5. Boorstin suggests we are in danger if we forget that the experiences which can't be captured by the camera can still be captured in a what?
Essay Topic 1
How does Boorstin define the term "celebrity"? What impact did this definition have on scholars and the American public? How and to whom does this definition apply today?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Thomas Cook. What impact did Cook have on the tourism industry? How?
Essay Topic 3
How are pseudo-events distinguished from propaganda? What is the purpose of each? What is the effect of each?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)