|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to that which is of foreign origin or character, not native, introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized?
2. What refers to a tendency in contemporary culture characterized by the rejection of objective truth and global cultural narrative or meta-narrative?
3. In what year did popular publications print articles showing the car was cheaper to operate than the horse?
4. In Chapter 1 - Section V, Boorstin discusses a change in the way people relate to truth and to what?
5. What term means to make uniform or similar, as in composition or function?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Charles Lindbergh? What does Boorstin assert of him?
2. What does Boorstin assert of travelers' dissociation since the advent of tourism?
3. What does Boorstin write all tourist attractions share, in Chapter 3 - Section IV? What effect does this have on travelers?
4. How does Boorstin distinguish pseudo-events from propaganda?
5. How do the personalities of celebrities evolve, according to Boorstin?
6. What extravagant expectations does Boorstin assert consumes the American psyche?
7. What does Boorstin write of the news industry in Chapter 1 - Section I?
8. How did Charles Lindbergh succumb to celebrity, according to Boorstin?
9. What has psychological analysis done to the old heroic form, according to Boorstin?
10. How did the "Crime of the Century" affect Lindbergh's celebrity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and describe the evolution of tourism in America. How did the car change travel? How did the airplane? What effect have these advances had, according to Boorstin?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Adolph Hitler's discussion of propaganda in Mein Kampf. How did Hitler implement this technique in order to gain control in Germany?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contract the definitions of Boorstin for "hero" and "celebrity." How do heroes and celebrities differ in their creation and their demise?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)