|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Charles Lindbergh's historic monoplane flight across the Atlantic end?
2. Pseudo-events tend to do what to the human experience, according to Boorstin?
3. What is the third characteristic of the pseudo-event, according to Boorstin?
4. Where was Karl Baedeker born?
5. What was the familiar hallmark of Baedeker guides?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who defined the term "stereotype," in Chapter 1 - Section V? How does Boorstin relate this definition?
2. What does Boorstin write can be mass-produced today, in Chapter 2 - Section I? Why?
3. What aspect of the pseudo-event does Boorstin explore in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
4. How do the personalities of celebrities evolve, according to Boorstin?
5. What does Boorstin write of the news industry in Chapter 1 - Section I?
6. What does Boorstin write of the changing nature of travel in Chapter 3?
7. How does Boorstin describe the power of celebrity to obscure and destroy the heroic?
8. How was the second story a pseudo-event in Boorstin's example of "the leak" in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
9. How does Boorstin describe pseudo-events in the political arena, in Chapter 1 - Section III? What examples does he offer?
10. What has psychological analysis done to the old heroic form, according to Boorstin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Boorstin define "the leak"? What is its purpose? What example does he give from the 1950s?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the impact of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Joseph McCarthy on the pseudo-event in American politics.
Essay Topic 3
When was the Graphic Revolution? What impact did it have on culture and society? How does Boorstin view the effect of the Graphic Revolution?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)