|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin states, in Chapter 3 - Section I, that in today's travel there is very little what?
2. When was the Ford Model T introduced?
3. When did Thomas Cook conduct his first train tour?
4. What is the title of Chapter 3?
5. What term does Boorstin assert has been relegated to the experiences of young children or naïve adults?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin write all tourist attractions share, in Chapter 3 - Section IV? What effect does this have on travelers?
2. What does Boorstin assert of travelers' dissociation since the advent of tourism?
3. What comparison does Boorstin make between celebrities and heroes in Chapter 2 - Section IV?
4. What does Boorstin write can be mass-produced today, in Chapter 2 - Section I? Why?
5. What extravagant expectations does Boorstin assert consumes the American psyche?
6. How did the "Crime of the Century" affect Lindbergh's celebrity?
7. Who defined the term "stereotype," in Chapter 1 - Section V? How does Boorstin relate this definition?
8. What subject does Boorstin address in Chapter 1 - Section V? How have pseudo-events distorted image?
9. How does Boorstin define "celebrity"?
10. How did Charles Lindbergh succumb to celebrity, according to Boorstin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Boorstin define the term "celebrity"? What impact did this definition have on scholars and the American public? How and to whom does this definition apply today?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Karl Baedeker? What advances did he make in the tourism industry? What were the effects?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the impact of the development of the hotel and motel industry in America. Where and how did Conrad Hilton establish his first hotel?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)