|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1 - Section V, Boorstin discusses a change in the way people relate to truth and to what?
2. Where did Conrad Hilton purchase his first hotel?
3. Boorstin asserts that the influx of pseudo-events has caused the confusion of participant and what roles?
4. What was one of Charles Lindbergh's nicknames?
5. What does Boorstin call "a person who is known for his well-knownness"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example does Boorstin offer for "the leak" in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
2. What does Boorstin write of the changing nature of travel in Chapter 3?
3. Who was Charles Lindbergh? What does Boorstin assert of him?
4. How does Boorstin describe the power of celebrity to obscure and destroy the heroic?
5. What is the effect of the extravagant expectations held by Americans, according to Boorstin?
6. How does Boorstin compare travel of the past with the present, in Chapter 3 - Section I?
7. How did the "Crime of the Century" affect Lindbergh's celebrity?
8. How does Boorstin define "celebrity"?
9. What has psychological analysis done to the old heroic form, according to Boorstin?
10. What aspects does Boorstin describe of pseudo-events in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are stereotypes distinguished from pseudo-events and propaganda by Boorstin? Who does Boorstin cite in defining stereotype?
Essay Topic 2
Boorstin posits that there are two main "extravagant expectations" that Americans hold. What are these and what are examples of each?
Essay Topic 3
When was the Graphic Revolution? What impact did it have on culture and society? How does Boorstin view the effect of the Graphic Revolution?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)