|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Established by Boorstin, what is the second way pseudo-events can overshadow real or spontaneous events?
2. What term means to make uniform or similar, as in composition or function?
3. What does Boorstin assert has been provided in exotic locations, in Chapter 3 - Section IV?
4. Where was Karl Baedeker born?
5. When did Al Capone die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who defined the term "stereotype," in Chapter 1 - Section V? How does Boorstin relate this definition?
2. What does Boorstin relate of technology and the sciences in Chapter 2 - Section II?
3. How do the personalities of celebrities evolve, according to Boorstin?
4. How does Boorstin define "celebrity"?
5. How does Boorstin describe tourism in America in Chapter 3 - Section V?
6. What comparison does Boorstin make between celebrities and heroes in Chapter 2 - Section IV?
7. What aspects does Boorstin describe of pseudo-events in Chapter 1?
8. How did Baedeker expand his publications? What was the "star system"?
9. What does Boorstin write of the impact of the Graphic Revolution, in Chapter 1 - Section II?
10. What does Boorstin write can be mass-produced today, in Chapter 2 - Section I? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contract the definitions of Boorstin for "hero" and "celebrity." How do heroes and celebrities differ in their creation and their demise?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Adolph Hitler's discussion of propaganda in Mein Kampf. How did Hitler implement this technique in order to gain control in Germany?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effect and influence of the development and publication of digests, such as "Reader's Digest." What does Boorstin conclude the effect was on literature?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)