|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1 - Section II, Boorstin discusses the temptation of newsmen to make images that were what?
2. Who wrote Mein Kampf?
3. When was the hotel coupon introduced to the touring industry in London?
4. Boorstin asserts that the influx of pseudo-events has caused the confusion of participant and what roles?
5. In what year did urban tourism in America become a profitable industry, as the number of tour agencies, railroad passenger departments, guidebook publishers, and travel writers grew at a fast pace?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin describe pseudo-events in the political arena, in Chapter 1 - Section III? What examples does he offer?
2. What is the effect of the extravagant expectations held by Americans, according to Boorstin?
3. What does Boorstin write of "local atmosphere" in tourist destinations?
4. What example does Boorstin offer for "the leak" in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
5. How does Boorstin compare travel of the past with the present, in Chapter 3 - Section I?
6. What does Boorstin write of the news industry in Chapter 1 - Section I?
7. What does Boorstin write all tourist attractions share, in Chapter 3 - Section IV? What effect does this have on travelers?
8. What subject does Boorstin address in Chapter 1 - Section V? How have pseudo-events distorted image?
9. How was the second story a pseudo-event in Boorstin's example of "the leak" in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
10. What does Boorstin write can be mass-produced today, in Chapter 2 - Section I? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Boorstin posits that there are two main "extravagant expectations" that Americans hold. What are these and what are examples of each?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the evolution and advances in the printing and binding industry and their effect on culture. How does Boorstin relate printmaking advances to the pseudo-event?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Karl Baedeker? What advances did he make in the tourism industry? What were the effects?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)