|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boorstin refer to pseudo-events as, in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
2. What term means to make uniform or similar, as in composition or function?
3. Boorstin relates pre-packaged travel to what activity, in Chapter 3 - Section I?
4. Where was Karl Baedeker born?
5. What does Boorstin assert has been provided in exotic locations, in Chapter 3 - Section IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin compare domestic and foreign issues in Chapter 6 - Section III?
2. What does Boorstin write of the impact of the Graphic Revolution, in Chapter 1 - Section II?
3. How does Boorstin describe the power of celebrity to obscure and destroy the heroic?
4. What does Boorstin write can be mass-produced today, in Chapter 2 - Section I? Why?
5. Who defined the term "stereotype," in Chapter 1 - Section V? How does Boorstin relate this definition?
6. Who was Karl Baedeker? What did he pioneer?
7. What does Boorstin relate of technology and the sciences in Chapter 2 - Section II?
8. What does Boorstin write of the changing nature of travel in Chapter 3?
9. Who was Thomas Cook? What industry did he expand?
10. What are the first two aspects of images discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
Essay Topic 1
How are stereotypes distinguished from pseudo-events and propaganda by Boorstin? Who does Boorstin cite in defining stereotype?
Essay Topic 2
How does Boorstin define the term "celebrity"? What impact did this definition have on scholars and the American public? How and to whom does this definition apply today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss museums as a tourist destination. What does Boorstin assert of the "authenticity" of museums?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)