|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Karl Baedeker observed to drop a pea on every twentieth step of the staircase to the roof, so he could report the number of steps accurately?
2. In Chapter 1 - Section IV, Boorstin uses an example from the 1950s in which a story was released about an imminent attack by whom?
3. When was Mein Kampf published?
4. What book of Walter Lippman's does Boorstin cite, in Chapter 1 - Section V?
5. In what year did Thomas Cook's train tours first go to Scotland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects does Boorstin describe of pseudo-events in Chapter 1?
2. How does Boorstin describe tourism in America in Chapter 3 - Section V?
3. What example does Boorstin offer for "the leak" in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
4. Who defined the term "stereotype," in Chapter 1 - Section V? How does Boorstin relate this definition?
5. How did the "Crime of the Century" affect Lindbergh's celebrity?
6. How does Boorstin define "celebrity"?
7. How was the second story a pseudo-event in Boorstin's example of "the leak" in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
8. Who was Thomas Cook? What industry did he expand?
9. What has eroded the old heroic form, according to Boorstin?
10. What did the advent of tourism do for the American traveler, according to Boorstin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Boorstin define "the leak"? What is its purpose? What example does he give from the 1950s?
Essay Topic 2
When was the Graphic Revolution? What impact did it have on culture and society? How does Boorstin view the effect of the Graphic Revolution?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Karl Baedeker? What advances did he make in the tourism industry? What were the effects?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)