|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Benito Mussolini born?
2. What word means to represent concretely, to externalize?
3. What title did Mussolini go by after 3 years in office as Prime Minister?
4. What is the first of the "extravagant expectations" held by Americans, according to Boorstin?
5. Where was Al Capone born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects does Boorstin describe of pseudo-events in Chapter 1?
2. How did the "Crime of the Century" affect Lindbergh's celebrity?
3. What does Boorstin write can be mass-produced today, in Chapter 2 - Section I? Why?
4. What argument is made regarding the objects on display in museums in Chapter 3 - Section IV?
5. What does Boorstin assert of travelers' dissociation since the advent of tourism?
6. What comparison does Boorstin make between celebrities and heroes in Chapter 2 - Section IV?
7. What has psychological analysis done to the old heroic form, according to Boorstin?
8. Who was Thomas Cook? What industry did he expand?
9. Who was Charles Lindbergh? What does Boorstin assert of him?
10. What does Boorstin write all tourist attractions share, in Chapter 3 - Section IV? What effect does this have on travelers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution and advances in the printing and binding industry and their effect on culture. How does Boorstin relate printmaking advances to the pseudo-event?
Essay Topic 2
When was the Graphic Revolution? What impact did it have on culture and society? How does Boorstin view the effect of the Graphic Revolution?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effect and influence of the development and publication of digests, such as "Reader's Digest." What does Boorstin conclude the effect was on literature?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)