|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1 - Section V, Boorstin discusses a change in the way people relate to truth and to what?
2. Where was Al Capone born?
3. What does Boorstin call "a person who is known for his well-knownness"?
4. Boorstin asserts that the influx of pseudo-events has caused the confusion of participant and what roles?
5. In his argument in Chapter 2 - Section IV, what does Boorstin suggest are created by the media?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin assert are the greatest challenges for America and our relationship to the rest of the world?
2. What does Boorstin write of the changing nature of travel in Chapter 3?
3. What does Boorstin write of the news industry in Chapter 1 - Section I?
4. What does Boorstin write of the evolution of linguistics and the pseudo-event in Chapter 6 - Section III?
5. How does Boorstin define "celebrity"?
6. What is the fourth aspect of the image, according to Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
7. What aspects does Boorstin describe of pseudo-events in Chapter 1?
8. How does Boorstin distinguish pseudo-events from propaganda?
9. Who was Thomas Cook? What industry did he expand?
10. What is the first aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? What example does he provide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Charles Lindbergh as depicted in the text. How did Lindbergh's fame evolve from heroism to celebrity?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the impact of the development of the hotel and motel industry in America. Where and how did Conrad Hilton establish his first hotel?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Karl Baedeker? What advances did he make in the tourism industry? What were the effects?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)