Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin states that psychological analysis has effectively turned the actions of heroes into compensations for what?
2. What was the name of the plane that Charles Lindbergh made his flight across the Atlantic in?
3. Boorstin posits that in addition to destroying old heroes ____ has made it difficult to create and recognize new heroes.
4. Boorstin suggests, in Chapter 1 - Section V, that the advances made in American society have served to "blur the edges of" what?
5. What refers to a tendency in contemporary culture characterized by the rejection of objective truth and global cultural narrative or meta-narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin write of the American concept of "greatness," in Chapter 2 - Section I?
2. What does Boorstin write of the evolution of linguistics and the pseudo-event in Chapter 6 - Section III?
3. How does Boorstin compare domestic and foreign issues in Chapter 6 - Section III?
4. How does Boorstin describe the power of celebrity to obscure and destroy the heroic?
5. How do the personalities of celebrities evolve, according to Boorstin?
6. What is the third aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
7. How does Boorstin compare travel of the past with the present, in Chapter 3 - Section I?
8. What has eroded the old heroic form, according to Boorstin?
9. What does Boorstin write of the news industry in Chapter 1 - Section I?
10. What does Boorstin write of stage and film adaptations in Chapter 4 - Section VI?
Boorstin posits that there are two main "extravagant expectations" that Americans hold. What are these and what are examples of each?
Discuss and describe the evolution of tourism in America. How did the car change travel? How did the airplane? What effect have these advances had, according to Boorstin?
How are pseudo-events distinguished from propaganda? What is the purpose of each? What is the effect of each?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)