|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name referred to Stalin's campaign to purge the Communist Party of people accused of sabotage, terrorism, or treachery?
2. Who wrote Mein Kampf?
3. When did Karl Baedeker die?
4. Who opened the first motel as a new form of accommodation in Memphis, Tennessee in 1952?
5. What is the fourth quality of the pseudo-event, according to Boorstin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the personalities of celebrities evolve, according to Boorstin?
2. What has eroded the old heroic form, according to Boorstin?
3. What subject does Boorstin address in Chapter 1 - Section V? How have pseudo-events distorted image?
4. How does Boorstin define "celebrity"?
5. Who was Charles Lindbergh? What does Boorstin assert of him?
6. What aspects does Boorstin describe of pseudo-events in Chapter 1?
7. What is the effect of the extravagant expectations held by Americans, according to Boorstin?
8. How did Charles Lindbergh succumb to celebrity, according to Boorstin?
9. What does Boorstin write can be mass-produced today, in Chapter 2 - Section I? Why?
10. How does Boorstin describe pseudo-events in the political arena, in Chapter 1 - Section III? What examples does he offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss museums as a tourist destination. What does Boorstin assert of the "authenticity" of museums?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Charles Lindbergh as depicted in the text. How did Lindbergh's fame evolve from heroism to celebrity?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Adolph Hitler's discussion of propaganda in Mein Kampf. How did Hitler implement this technique in order to gain control in Germany?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)