|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who developed an early printing press in 1436?
(a) Galileo Galilei.
(b) Henry Watson.
(c) Johannes Gutenberg.
(d) Stephan Michaelson.
2. What term refers to that pertaining to one's own or a particular country as apart from other countries?
3. What major movie studio did Adolf Zukor originate?
(a) General Film Company.
(b) Paramount Pictures.
(d) Universal Studios.
4. What editor and co-editor of Publishers' Weekly guided the publication through much of the 20th century?
(a) Neil Jackson Smith.
(b) Frederic Gershom Melcher.
(c) Jefferson Andrews.
(d) Henry J. Williamson.
5. In Chapter 5 - Section IV, Boorstin states, "By sharpening our images we have blurred all our" what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes?
2. What refers to the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something?
3. What refers to something that is changed or modified to suit new conditions or needs?
4. Boorstin concludes Chapter 6 - Section V by stating that we must be able to reach beyond into novel experiences and ideas and thus become aware of our what?
5. What refers to purpose or attitude toward the effect of one's actions or conduct?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin write of the evolution of linguistics and the pseudo-event in Chapter 6 - Section III?
2. What is the first aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? What example does he provide?
3. What was the impact of Muzak, according to Boorstin?
4. What changes to the printing industry does Boorstin describe in Chapter 4 - Section I?
5. What does Boorstin believe is responsible for the mass production of art? What effect does this cause?
6. What is Boorstin's subject in Chapter 6 - Section IV? How is the effect discussed defined?
7. What changes took place in the binding industry for printmaking? What effect did this have?
8. What is the second aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
9. How does Boorstin define movies as a pseudo-event?
10. What does Boorstin suggest was the impact of Reader's Digest on the populace? What is Reader's Digest?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)