|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes?
2. Boorstin writes that we are left with the "invention of experience" rather than its what?
3. Who developed an early printing press in 1436?
(a) Henry Watson.
(b) Galileo Galilei.
(c) Stephan Michaelson.
(d) Johannes Gutenberg.
4. What refers to purpose or attitude toward the effect of one's actions or conduct?
5. What refers to a single complete page, front and back, in a finished book?
(d) Press page.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6 - Section II, Boorstin warns that America has spent too much time attempting to "perfect our image rather than" what?
2. What is the fourth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
3. Where is Reader's Digest based?
4. When was Reader's Digest founded?
5. What does Boorstin write essentially means that people have accepted and bought into the image that we are trying to uphold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first two aspects of images discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
2. What does Boorstin suggest was the impact of Reader's Digest on the populace? What is Reader's Digest?
3. What is the third aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
4. What shift in the American psyche does Boorstin describe in Chapter 6 - Section I?
5. What is Boorstin's subject in Chapter 6 - Section IV? How is the effect discussed defined?
6. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
7. How does Boorstin compare domestic and foreign issues in Chapter 6 - Section III?
8. What is the fourth aspect of the image, according to Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
9. What does Boorstin assert is the impact of art reproductions?
10. What does Boorstin write of the evolution of linguistics and the pseudo-event in Chapter 6 - Section III?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)