|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Boorstin say books began to be made cheaper, due to a variety of factors, in Chapter 4 - Section I?
2. In Chapter 5 - Section IV, Boorstin states, "By sharpening our images we have blurred all our" what?
3. What refers to purpose or attitude toward the effect of one's actions or conduct?
4. What editor and co-editor of Publishers' Weekly guided the publication through much of the 20th century?
(a) Henry J. Williamson.
(b) Neil Jackson Smith.
(c) Jefferson Andrews.
(d) Frederic Gershom Melcher.
5. Boorstin suggests we are in danger if we forget that the experiences which can't be captured by the camera can still be captured in a what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin writes in Chapter 5 that "God himself becomes not a power but" what?
2. When was Reader's Digest founded?
3. What French sociologist, philosopher, cultural theorist, and photographer is frequently associated with postmodernism and post-structuralism?
4. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin asserts that America has experienced a move from what to images?
5. What refers to something that exists independently of ideas concerning it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes took place in the binding industry for printmaking? What effect did this have?
2. What is the third aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
3. What is the fourth aspect of the image, according to Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
4. What changes to the printing industry does Boorstin describe in Chapter 4 - Section I?
5. What is Boorstin's subject in Chapter 6 - Section IV? How is the effect discussed defined?
6. What are the first two aspects of images discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
7. How does Boorstin define "passivity" in the image in Chapter 5 - Section I?
8. What suggestion does Boorstin state for Americans to improve their image to the world?
9. What is the first aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? What example does he provide?
10. How does Boorstin compare domestic and foreign issues in Chapter 6 - Section III?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)