|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major movie studio did Carl Laemmle originate?
(a) Universal Studios.
(c) Paramount Pictures.
(d) General Film Company.
2. The fourth aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
(a) Appeal of the half-intelligible.
(c) Appeal of the contrived.
(d) Appeal of the self-fulfilling prophecy.
3. Boorstin begins Chapter 5 - Section II discussing the differences between "ideal-thinking" and what?
(a) Commercial thinking.
(b) Image thinking.
(c) Logic thinking.
(d) Concept thinking.
4. What editor and co-editor of Publishers' Weekly guided the publication through much of the 20th century?
(a) Henry J. Williamson.
(b) Neil Jackson Smith.
(c) Frederic Gershom Melcher.
(d) Jefferson Andrews.
5. What production company, recognizing that actors and actresses would demand higher pay if they became well known, refused to give their names?
(a) Universal Studios.
(b) General Film Company.
(d) Paramount Pictures.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose best-known films are The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra, and The Greatest Show on Earth?
2. What refers to something that exists independently of ideas concerning it?
3. Boorstin suggests we are in danger if we forget that the experiences which can't be captured by the camera can still be captured in a what?
4. What system does Boorstin assert affected "traditional forms of achievement," in Chapter 4 - Section VIII?
5. Boorstin writes that the amount of dissociation has become so absolute that what no longer feels real?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? What example does he provide?
2. How does Boorstin define "ideal-thinking" and "image-thinking"?
3. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
4. What does Boorstin assert are the greatest challenges for America and our relationship to the rest of the world?
5. What does Boorstin suggest was the impact of Reader's Digest on the populace? What is Reader's Digest?
6. What are the first two aspects of images discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
7. What is the second aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
8. What changes to the printing industry does Boorstin describe in Chapter 4 - Section I?
9. What is Boorstin's subject in Chapter 6 - Section IV? How is the effect discussed defined?
10. What is the fourth aspect of the image, according to Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)