|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major movie studio did Adolf Zukor originate?
(b) Paramount Pictures.
(c) General Film Company.
(d) Universal Studios.
2. Who founded Reader's Digest?
(a) James Huntington.
(b) DeWitt Wallace.
(c) Andrew Kaempfer.
(d) Michael Cinquino.
3. What is the fourth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is believable.
(b) It is synthetic.
(c) It is vivid.
(d) It is ambiguous.
4. Daniel J. Boorstin was appointed twelfth Librarian of the United States Congress from 1975 until when?
5. Boorstin writes in Chapter 6 - Section III, "We fill our lives not with experience but with the ____ of experience."
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin concludes Chapter 6 - Section V by stating that we must be able to reach beyond into novel experiences and ideas and thus become aware of our what?
2. Boorstin writes that the amount of dissociation has become so absolute that what no longer feels real?
3. When did P.T. Barnum purchase Scudder's American Museum?
4. What refers to something that is changed or modified to suit new conditions or needs?
5. The third aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin compare domestic and foreign issues in Chapter 6 - Section III?
2. What shift in the American psyche does Boorstin describe in Chapter 6 - Section I?
3. What suggestions does Boorstin give to the American people at the close of the book?
4. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
5. What does Boorstin write of the evolution of linguistics and the pseudo-event in Chapter 6 - Section III?
6. What does Boorstin assert is the impact of art reproductions?
7. What is the fourth aspect of the image, according to Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
8. What is Boorstin's subject in Chapter 6 - Section IV? How is the effect discussed defined?
9. What is the second aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
10. What does Boorstin suggest was the impact of Reader's Digest on the populace? What is Reader's Digest?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)