|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Boorstin states, regarding foreign affairs, "I suspect we suffer abroad simply because people know America through" what?
2. The second aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
(b) Appeal of the self-fulfilling prophecy.
(c) Appeal of the contrived.
(d) Appeal of the half-intelligible.
3. Boorstin suggests that the graphic revolution and what else are mostly responsible for the abridgment and the mass production of art?
4. Boorstin writes that the amount of dissociation has become so absolute that what no longer feels real?
(a) The media.
(b) The natural.
(c) The pseudo-event.
(d) The pseudo-reality.
5. What system does Boorstin assert affected "traditional forms of achievement," in Chapter 4 - Section VIII?
(b) The star system.
(c) The caste system.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin writes that we are left with the "invention of experience" rather than its what?
2. What does Boorstin assert arose spontaneously through "tradition, history, or by God,"are not made simple, are direct and active in the sense that they pull people forward?
3. In Chapter 6, Boorstin suggests that the greatest challenge Americans are now dealing with is what?
4. Who founded Reader's Digest?
5. Who invented the steam powered rotary printing press in 1843 in the United States?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)