|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Boorstin writes that we are left with the "invention of experience" rather than its what?
2. The third aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
(a) Appeal of the half-intelligible.
(b) Appeal of the contrived.
(d) Appeal of the self-fulfilling prophecy.
3. What is the first characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is synthetic.
(b) It is simplified.
(c) It is ambiguous.
(d) It is believable.
4. What is the name of a small press capable of printing small-format pieces such as billheads, letterheads, business cards, and envelopes?
(a) Needle press.
(b) Letterhead press.
(c) Jobbing press.
(d) Probing press.
5. What refers to something that is changed or modified to suit new conditions or needs?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Reader's Digest founded?
2. What French sociologist, philosopher, cultural theorist, and photographer is frequently associated with postmodernism and post-structuralism?
3. In Chapter 5, Boorstin asserts that we have made a shift from moral value to what value?
4. What production company, recognizing that actors and actresses would demand higher pay if they became well known, refused to give their names?
5. What refers to a single complete page, front and back, in a finished book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin assert are the greatest challenges for America and our relationship to the rest of the world?
2. What does Boorstin write of stage and film adaptations in Chapter 4 - Section VI?
3. What does Boorstin assert is the impact of art reproductions?
4. How does Boorstin define "passivity" in the image in Chapter 5 - Section I?
5. What does Boorstin suggest was the impact of Reader's Digest on the populace? What is Reader's Digest?
6. What was the impact of Muzak, according to Boorstin?
7. What is the second aspect of "successful advertising" described by Boorstin? How is it defined?
8. How does Boorstin view the impact of advertising on the American psyche?
9. What suggestions does Boorstin give to the American people at the close of the book?
10. What is the fourth aspect of the image, according to Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section I?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)