|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Boorstin assert has been provided in exotic locations, in Chapter 3 - Section IV?
(a) Tour guides.
(b) Money exchange stations.
(c) Local atmosphere.
(d) Exotic restaurants.
2. What is the first aspect of a pseudo-event, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is intentionally created.
(b) It is intended as a self-fulfilling prophecy.
(c) Its purpose is to be recreated or reported.
(d) It is ambiguous.
3. Who did Charles Lindbergh marry?
(a) Mary Anne Doherty.
(b) Anne Morrow.
(c) Sarah Morrow.
(d) Elizabeth Winchester.
4. What form of travel, initiated by Thomas Cook, had the traveler go independently, while Cook's agency charged for travel, food, and accommodation for a fixed period over any chosen route?
(a) Interactive independent travel.
(b) Inclusive independent travel.
(c) Independent travel.
(d) Exclusive independent travel.
5. How many cars were registered in the United States in 1900?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the departure site for Charles Lindbergh's historic monoplane flight across the Atlantic Ocean ?
2. When was the hotel coupon introduced to the touring industry in London?
3. When was Benito Mussolini born?
4. When did Joseph Stalin assume the role of head of state of Russia?
5. Where was Karl Baedeker born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin define "celebrity"?
2. Who defined the term "stereotype," in Chapter 1 - Section V? How does Boorstin relate this definition?
3. Who was Karl Baedeker? What did he pioneer?
4. What does Boorstin write of "local atmosphere" in tourist destinations?
5. What does Boorstin assert of travelers' dissociation since the advent of tourism?
6. What aspect of the pseudo-event does Boorstin explore in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
7. What does Boorstin write of the changing nature of travel in Chapter 3?
8. What argument is made regarding the objects on display in museums in Chapter 3 - Section IV?
9. How did Charles Lindbergh succumb to celebrity, according to Boorstin?
10. What example does Boorstin offer for "the leak" in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)