|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word means to represent concretely, to externalize?
2. What is the third characteristic of the pseudo-event, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is intended as a self-fulfilling prophecy.
(b) It is ambiguous.
(c) It is intentionally created.
(d) Its purpose is to be recreated or reported.
3. What was the name of the plane that Charles Lindbergh made his flight across the Atlantic in?
(a) The Lindbergh Jewel.
(b) The Spirit of St. Louis.
(c) The Spirit of America.
(d) The Lucky Lindy.
4. When did Mussolini become the Prime Minister of Italy?
5. Boorstin asserts, in Chapter 2 - Section I, that Americans have fooled themselves about how much _____ is contained in the world and in individuals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boorstin call "a person who is known for his well-knownness"?
2. When did Charles Lindbergh make his famous flight across the Atlantic?
3. The argument is made, in Chapter 3 - Section IV, that the objects in museums were ____ from the homes of the wealthy and famous to be available for all to view.
4. In Chapter 1 - Section V, Boorstin discusses a change in the way people relate to truth and to what?
5. Pseudo-events, according to Boorstin, create distortion through what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument is made regarding the objects on display in museums in Chapter 3 - Section IV?
2. Who defined the term "stereotype," in Chapter 1 - Section V? How does Boorstin relate this definition?
3. How did Baedeker expand his publications? What was the "star system"?
4. What does Boorstin write can be mass-produced today, in Chapter 2 - Section I? Why?
5. What has eroded the old heroic form, according to Boorstin?
6. What does Boorstin write of the American concept of "greatness," in Chapter 2 - Section I?
7. How do the personalities of celebrities evolve, according to Boorstin?
8. What subject does Boorstin address in Chapter 1 - Section V? How have pseudo-events distorted image?
9. What is the effect of the extravagant expectations held by Americans, according to Boorstin?
10. What does Boorstin write of "local atmosphere" in tourist destinations?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)