|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Boorstin assert inevitably give a false representation of a country because they have been specially selected and taken from context?
(a) Tourist attractions.
(c) The media.
(d) Tour guides.
2. In Chapter 1 - Section IV, Boorstin suggests that leaks are a form of what by governments?
(d) Peace negotiations.
3. With whom did Charles Lindbergh sign a contract for his story of the famous monoplane flight?
(a) New York Times.
(b) USA Today.
(c) Chicago Tribune.
4. Boorstin states, in Chapter 3 - Section I, that in today's travel there is very little what?
5. What term means to make uniform or similar, as in composition or function?
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin writes that critical history and critical biography have reduced heroes to mere pawns of what?
2. What is the second quality of the pseudo-event described by Boorstin?
3. What term refers to widespread reputation, especially of a favorable character of renown and public eminence?
4. What does Boorstin assert has been provided in exotic locations, in Chapter 3 - Section IV?
5. What is the title of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the personalities of celebrities evolve, according to Boorstin?
2. What argument is made regarding the objects on display in museums in Chapter 3 - Section IV?
3. What is the effect of the extravagant expectations held by Americans, according to Boorstin?
4. What aspect of the pseudo-event does Boorstin explore in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
5. What aspects does Boorstin describe of pseudo-events in Chapter 1?
6. What example does Boorstin offer for "the leak" in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
7. What does Boorstin write can be mass-produced today, in Chapter 2 - Section I? Why?
8. How does Boorstin compare travel of the past with the present, in Chapter 3 - Section I?
9. How does Boorstin describe pseudo-events in the political arena, in Chapter 1 - Section III? What examples does he offer?
10. How did Baedeker expand his publications? What was the "star system"?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)