|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Karl Baedeker start his publishing company?
2. What term refers to that which is not participating readily or actively?
3. In what year did Thomas Cook's train tours first go to Scotland?
4. When did Karl Baedeker die?
5. What does Boorstin assert inevitably give a false representation of a country because they have been specially selected and taken from context?
(b) The media.
(c) Tourist attractions.
(d) Tour guides.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Charles Lindbergh born?
2. Established by Boorstin, what is the second way pseudo-events can overshadow real or spontaneous events?
3. What is the second quality of the pseudo-event described by Boorstin?
4. In Chapter 1 - Section V, Boorstin discusses a change in the way people relate to truth and to what?
5. Boorstin asserts that the influx of pseudo-events has caused the confusion of participant and what roles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has eroded the old heroic form, according to Boorstin?
2. What example does Boorstin offer for "the leak" in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
3. What does Boorstin write of the changing nature of travel in Chapter 3?
4. What extravagant expectations does Boorstin assert consumes the American psyche?
5. What does Boorstin write of the impact of the Graphic Revolution, in Chapter 1 - Section II?
6. How does Boorstin compare travel of the past with the present, in Chapter 3 - Section I?
7. What has psychological analysis done to the old heroic form, according to Boorstin?
8. Who was Thomas Cook? What industry did he expand?
9. How did the "Crime of the Century" affect Lindbergh's celebrity?
10. What did the advent of tourism do for the American traveler, according to Boorstin?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)