|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second of the "extravagant expectations" held by Americans, according to Boorstin?
(a) Time is of the essence.
(b) Money can buy anything.
(c) We have unlimited power to fashion the world to our desires.
(d) There is always more that the world can provide.
2. What does Boorstin assert has been provided in exotic locations, in Chapter 3 - Section IV?
(a) Tour guides.
(b) Money exchange stations.
(c) Exotic restaurants.
(d) Local atmosphere.
3. What refers to a person or thing that draws, allures, or entices?
4. In his argument in Chapter 2 - Section IV, what does Boorstin suggest are created by the media?
5. When did Joseph Stalin assume the role of head of state of Russia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boorstin refer to pseudo-events as, in Chapter 1 - Section IV?
2. In what year did Thomas Cook's train tours first go to Scotland?
3. Boorstin asserts, in Chapter 2 - Section I, that Americans have fooled themselves about how much _____ is contained in the world and in individuals.
4. When did Charles Lindbergh make his famous flight across the Atlantic?
5. Where was Al Capone born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Baedeker expand his publications? What was the "star system"?
2. What does Boorstin write of the American concept of "greatness," in Chapter 2 - Section I?
3. What aspects does Boorstin describe of pseudo-events in Chapter 1?
4. What does Boorstin relate of technology and the sciences in Chapter 2 - Section II?
5. What subject does Boorstin address in Chapter 1 - Section V? How have pseudo-events distorted image?
6. Who was Karl Baedeker? What did he pioneer?
7. What comparison does Boorstin make between celebrities and heroes in Chapter 2 - Section IV?
8. What does Boorstin write of the changing nature of travel in Chapter 3?
9. What does Boorstin write all tourist attractions share, in Chapter 3 - Section IV? What effect does this have on travelers?
10. What does Boorstin write of "local atmosphere" in tourist destinations?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)