|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many main "extravagant expectations" does Boorstin posit Americans hold?
2. When did Karl Baedeker die?
3. Who did Charles Lindbergh marry?
(a) Anne Morrow.
(b) Elizabeth Winchester.
(c) Sarah Morrow.
(d) Mary Anne Doherty.
4. In Chapter 1 - Section V, Boorstin discusses a change in the way people relate to truth and to what?
5. Adolf Hitler became Chancellor of Germany in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to the process of making something commercial?
2. Boorstin states, in Chapter 3 - Section I, that in today's travel there is very little what?
3. According to Walter Lippman, a ____ is a way of giving rapid meaning to an external person or situation to help one orient to a world full of confusing and overwhelming experiences.
4. What is the third characteristic of the pseudo-event, according to Boorstin?
5. When was Charles Lindbergh born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin compare travel of the past with the present, in Chapter 3 - Section I?
2. What is Boorstin's subject in Chapter 6 - Section IV? How is the effect discussed defined?
3. Who was Charles Lindbergh? What does Boorstin assert of him?
4. Why does Boorstin believe the American image is viewed negatively by other nations?
5. How does Boorstin define movies as a pseudo-event?
6. What does Boorstin write of the changing nature of travel in Chapter 3?
7. What subject does Boorstin address in Chapter 1 - Section V? How have pseudo-events distorted image?
8. What does Boorstin write of the American concept of "greatness," in Chapter 2 - Section I?
9. What argument is made regarding the objects on display in museums in Chapter 3 - Section IV?
10. How does Boorstin define "ideal-thinking" and "image-thinking"?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)