|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What company advertised the fact that the bottles were "steam-sterilized," neglecting to mention the fact that all the other beer companies used the same process?
(a) Miller Beer.
(b) Coors Beer.
(c) Schlitz Beer.
(d) Budweiser Beer.
2. What is the third characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is synthetic.
(b) It is passive.
(c) It is ambiguous.
(d) It is believable.
3. Boorstin writes that we are left with the "invention of experience" rather than its what?
4. What major movie studio did Carl Laemmle originate?
(a) General Film Company.
(b) Paramount Pictures.
(c) Universal Studios.
5. When was Daniel J. Boorstin born?
6. What system does Boorstin assert affected "traditional forms of achievement," in Chapter 4 - Section VIII?
(c) The caste system.
(d) The star system.
7. Daniel J. Boorstin was appointed twelfth Librarian of the United States Congress from 1975 until when?
8. Boorstin writes that the image must exist in a kind of liminal state "between expectation and" what?
9. What refers to theatrical performances presented in one of the 40 large professional theaters with 500 seats or more located in the Theater District, New York?
(a) West End.
(d) Main Stage.
10. What is the fourth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is believable.
(b) It is ambiguous.
(c) It is synthetic.
(d) It is vivid.
11. Boorstin writes that the amount of dissociation has become so absolute that what no longer feels real?
(a) The media.
(b) The natural.
(c) The pseudo-event.
(d) The pseudo-reality.
12. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin suggests that America return to its ____ and cease communicating with the rest of the world in image.
13. The first aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
(a) Appeal of the self-fulfilling prophecy.
(b) Appeal of the contrived.
(d) Appeal of the half-intelligible.
14. Boorstin concludes Chapter 6 - Section V by stating that we must be able to reach beyond into novel experiences and ideas and thus become aware of our what?
15. What French sociologist, philosopher, cultural theorist, and photographer is frequently associated with postmodernism and post-structuralism?
(a) Jean Francois.
(b) Jean Michele Foucault.
(c) Jean Baudrillard.
(d) Michael Foucault.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boorstin assert arose spontaneously through "tradition, history, or by God,"are not made simple, are direct and active in the sense that they pull people forward?
2. Boorstin suggests that the graphic revolution and what else are mostly responsible for the abridgment and the mass production of art?
3. Whose best-known films are The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra, and The Greatest Show on Earth?
4. The third aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
5. What is the second characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)