|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Daniel J. Boorstin was appointed twelfth Librarian of the United States Congress from 1975 until when?
2. In Chapter 5 - Section V, Boorstin states that even ____ have become blurred because of the relentless drive of business and consumerism.
(d) The seasons.
3. What does Boorstin write essentially means that people have accepted and bought into the image that we are trying to uphold?
4. What major movie studio did Carl Laemmle originate?
(a) Paramount Pictures.
(b) General Film Company.
(d) Universal Studios.
5. Whose best-known films are The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra, and The Greatest Show on Earth?
(a) Cecil B. DeMille.
(b) Mike Nichols.
(c) Adolf Zukor.
(d) Carl Laemmle.
6. What refers to something that is changed or modified to suit new conditions or needs?
7. What is the first characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is ambiguous.
(b) It is simplified.
(c) It is synthetic.
(d) It is believable.
8. Boorstin claims that in the effort to make art and literature accessible to all, these forms of expression were what?
9. What refers to inexpensive fiction magazines published from 1896 through the 1950s?
(a) Dirt fiction.
(b) Dime store fiction.
(c) Pulp fiction.
(d) Romance fiction.
10. The second aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
(a) Appeal of the half-intelligible.
(c) Appeal of the contrived.
(d) Appeal of the self-fulfilling prophecy.
11. What type of book binding begins with the signatures of the book as loose pages which are then clamped together?
(d) Cross stitch.
12. Boorstin suggests that the graphic revolution and what else are mostly responsible for the abridgment and the mass production of art?
13. Who invented the steam powered rotary printing press in 1843 in the United States?
(a) Stephan Michaelson.
(b) Johannes Gutenberg.
(c) Richard M. Hoe.
(d) Henry Watson.
14. Boorstin begins Chapter 5 - Section II discussing the differences between "ideal-thinking" and what?
(a) Image thinking.
(b) Commercial thinking.
(c) Concept thinking.
(d) Logic thinking.
15. In Chapter 6, Boorstin suggests that the greatest challenge Americans are now dealing with is what?
(b) Foreign affairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a single complete page, front and back, in a finished book?
2. What is the science of language, including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics?
3. The first aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
4. When was Publishers' Weekly first published?
5. Who founded Reader's Digest?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)