|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing, photographed, painted, sculptured, or otherwise made visible?
2. What refers to the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something?
3. Who invented the steam powered rotary printing press in 1843 in the United States?
(a) Stephan Michaelson.
(b) Johannes Gutenberg.
(c) Richard M. Hoe.
(d) Henry Watson.
4. When was Daniel J. Boorstin born?
5. What is the name of a small press capable of printing small-format pieces such as billheads, letterheads, business cards, and envelopes?
(a) Jobbing press.
(b) Letterhead press.
(c) Probing press.
(d) Needle press.
6. Boorstin writes that we are left with the "invention of experience" rather than its what?
7. What is the sixth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is synthetic.
(b) It is ambiguous.
(c) It is simplified.
(d) It is believable.
8. In Chapter 6, Boorstin suggests that the greatest challenge Americans are now dealing with is what?
(d) Foreign affairs.
9. What does Boorstin describe as a kind of pseudo-event, especially in the sense that they were "more vivid and more impressive than the spontaneous original"?
(d) News media.
10. What French sociologist, philosopher, cultural theorist, and photographer is frequently associated with postmodernism and post-structuralism?
(a) Jean Francois.
(b) Michael Foucault.
(c) Jean Baudrillard.
(d) Jean Michele Foucault.
11. What refers to a single complete page, front and back, in a finished book?
(b) Press page.
12. Whose best-known films are The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra, and The Greatest Show on Earth?
(a) Carl Laemmle.
(b) Adolf Zukor.
(c) Mike Nichols.
(d) Cecil B. DeMille.
13. What type of book binding begins with the signatures of the book as loose pages which are then clamped together?
(c) Cross stitch.
14. When does Boorstin say books began to be made cheaper, due to a variety of factors, in Chapter 4 - Section I?
15. In Chapter 5 - Section V, Boorstin states that even ____ have become blurred because of the relentless drive of business and consumerism.
(b) The seasons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin writes that the image must exist in a kind of liminal state "between expectation and" what?
2. Boorstin writes that our enemies profit from the fact they are known only, or primarily, through their what?
3. Boorstin writes that the amount of dissociation has become so absolute that what no longer feels real?
4. What is the third characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
5. What refers to inexpensive fiction magazines published from 1896 through the 1950s?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)