|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Boorstin writes that our enemies profit from the fact they are known only, or primarily, through their what?
2. When was Publishers' Weekly first published?
3. The fourth aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
(b) Appeal of the contrived.
(c) Appeal of the self-fulfilling prophecy.
(d) Appeal of the half-intelligible.
4. In Chapter 5 - Section IV, Boorstin states, "By sharpening our images we have blurred all our" what?
5. What major movie studio did Carl Laemmle originate?
(b) General Film Company.
(c) Paramount Pictures.
(d) Universal Studios.
6. What refers to purpose or attitude toward the effect of one's actions or conduct?
7. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin suggests that America return to its ____ and cease communicating with the rest of the world in image.
8. What does Boorstin assert arose spontaneously through "tradition, history, or by God,"are not made simple, are direct and active in the sense that they pull people forward?
9. In Chapter 5 - Section V, Boorstin states that even ____ have become blurred because of the relentless drive of business and consumerism.
(d) The seasons.
10. What refers to something that exists independently of ideas concerning it?
11. What word does Boorstin suggest we created out of the need to express the specialness of that which is real, in Chapter 6 - Section III?
12. Boorstin suggests we are in danger if we forget that the experiences which can't be captured by the camera can still be captured in a what?
13. In Chapter 6, Boorstin suggests that the greatest challenge Americans are now dealing with is what?
(d) Foreign affairs.
14. What is the first characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is simplified.
(b) It is believable.
(c) It is ambiguous.
(d) It is synthetic.
15. What refers to a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing, photographed, painted, sculptured, or otherwise made visible?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sixth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
2. What system does Boorstin assert affected "traditional forms of achievement," in Chapter 4 - Section VIII?
3. Who founded Reader's Digest?
4. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin asserts that America has experienced a move from what to images?
5. Boorstin states, regarding foreign affairs, "I suspect we suffer abroad simply because people know America through" what?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)