|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Boorstin writes that we are left with the "invention of experience" rather than its what?
2. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin suggests that America return to its ____ and cease communicating with the rest of the world in image.
3. What French sociologist, philosopher, cultural theorist, and photographer is frequently associated with postmodernism and post-structuralism?
(a) Jean Francois.
(b) Jean Michele Foucault.
(c) Jean Baudrillard.
(d) Michael Foucault.
4. What company advertised the fact that the bottles were "steam-sterilized," neglecting to mention the fact that all the other beer companies used the same process?
(a) Miller Beer.
(b) Budweiser Beer.
(c) Schlitz Beer.
(d) Coors Beer.
5. What refers to purpose or attitude toward the effect of one's actions or conduct?
6. In Chapter 5, Boorstin asserts that we have made a shift from moral value to what value?
7. What does Boorstin write essentially means that people have accepted and bought into the image that we are trying to uphold?
8. The first aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
(a) Appeal of the self-fulfilling prophecy.
(b) Appeal of the half-intelligible.
(c) Appeal of the contrived.
9. Boorstin writes in Chapter 6 - Section III, "We fill our lives not with experience but with the ____ of experience."
10. Boorstin states, regarding foreign affairs, "I suspect we suffer abroad simply because people know America through" what?
11. What refers to something that is changed or modified to suit new conditions or needs?
12. What is the science of language, including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics?
(a) Media studies.
13. What term refers to that pertaining to one's own or a particular country as apart from other countries?
14. What refers to a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing, photographed, painted, sculptured, or otherwise made visible?
15. What refers to reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes?
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin writes that the image must exist in a kind of liminal state "between expectation and" what?
2. What system does Boorstin assert affected "traditional forms of achievement," in Chapter 4 - Section VIII?
3. When does Boorstin say books began to be made cheaper, due to a variety of factors, in Chapter 4 - Section I?
4. When was Daniel J. Boorstin born?
5. What does Boorstin assert arose spontaneously through "tradition, history, or by God,"are not made simple, are direct and active in the sense that they pull people forward?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)