|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Boorstin assert arose spontaneously through "tradition, history, or by God,"are not made simple, are direct and active in the sense that they pull people forward?
2. What type of book binding begins with the signatures of the book as loose pages which are then clamped together?
(b) Cross stitch.
3. What refers to theatrical performances presented in one of the 40 large professional theaters with 500 seats or more located in the Theater District, New York?
(c) Main Stage.
(d) West End.
4. What states that the more we create images to "expand experience" the more we inevitably narrow experience?
(a) The mirror effect.
(b) The smoke effect.
(c) The pseudo-effect.
(d) The pseufo-event.
5. What refers to something that exists independently of ideas concerning it?
6. What does Boorstin write essentially means that people have accepted and bought into the image that we are trying to uphold?
7. Boorstin claims that in the effort to make art and literature accessible to all, these forms of expression were what?
8. In Chapter 5 - Section IV, Boorstin describes how the appearance of advertising has caused a movement from focusing on truth to focusing on what?
9. In Chapter 5, Boorstin asserts that we have made a shift from moral value to what value?
10. What editor and co-editor of Publishers' Weekly guided the publication through much of the 20th century?
(a) Frederic Gershom Melcher.
(b) Neil Jackson Smith.
(c) Henry J. Williamson.
(d) Jefferson Andrews.
11. Boorstin writes that we are left with the "invention of experience" rather than its what?
12. What is the sixth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is ambiguous.
(b) It is synthetic.
(c) It is believable.
(d) It is simplified.
13. What production company, recognizing that actors and actresses would demand higher pay if they became well known, refused to give their names?
(a) Paramount Pictures.
(b) General Film Company.
(c) Universal Studios.
14. What refers to purpose or attitude toward the effect of one's actions or conduct?
15. Who developed an early printing press in 1436?
(a) Henry Watson.
(b) Galileo Galilei.
(c) Johannes Gutenberg.
(d) Stephan Michaelson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something?
2. When does Boorstin say books began to be made cheaper, due to a variety of factors, in Chapter 4 - Section I?
3. The fourth aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
4. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin asserts that America has experienced a move from what to images?
5. What is the fifth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)