|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to that pertaining to one's own or a particular country as apart from other countries?
2. In Chapter 5 - Section IV, Boorstin describes how the appearance of advertising has caused a movement from focusing on truth to focusing on what?
3. Boorstin writes that we are left with the "invention of experience" rather than its what?
4. What refers to inexpensive fiction magazines published from 1896 through the 1950s?
(a) Dirt fiction.
(b) Pulp fiction.
(c) Dime store fiction.
(d) Romance fiction.
5. In Chapter 5, Boorstin asserts that we have made a shift from moral value to what value?
6. Boorstin suggests in Chapter 6 - Section III that Americans live in a sort of what?
7. Boorstin claims that in the effort to make art and literature accessible to all, these forms of expression were what?
8. What company advertised the fact that the bottles were "steam-sterilized," neglecting to mention the fact that all the other beer companies used the same process?
(a) Miller Beer.
(b) Budweiser Beer.
(c) Schlitz Beer.
(d) Coors Beer.
9. What is the second characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is simplified.
(b) It is ambiguous.
(c) It is synthetic.
(d) It is believable.
10. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin asserts that America has experienced a move from what to images?
11. What refers to the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something?
12. Who developed an early printing press in 1436?
(a) Galileo Galilei.
(b) Stephan Michaelson.
(c) Johannes Gutenberg.
(d) Henry Watson.
13. What editor and co-editor of Publishers' Weekly guided the publication through much of the 20th century?
(a) Jefferson Andrews.
(b) Henry J. Williamson.
(c) Frederic Gershom Melcher.
(d) Neil Jackson Smith.
14. What does Boorstin write essentially means that people have accepted and bought into the image that we are trying to uphold?
15. What is the third characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is passive.
(b) It is believable.
(c) It is synthetic.
(d) It is ambiguous.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin suggests we are in danger if we forget that the experiences which can't be captured by the camera can still be captured in a what?
2. In Chapter 5 - Section V, Boorstin states that even ____ have become blurred because of the relentless drive of business and consumerism.
3. Boorstin begins Chapter 5 - Section II discussing the differences between "ideal-thinking" and what?
4. What Muzak designer suggested that his company was more the business of programming than the business of music?
5. Daniel J. Boorstin was appointed twelfth Librarian of the United States Congress from 1975 until when?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)