|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Boorstin writes that our enemies profit from the fact they are known only, or primarily, through their what?
2. What word does Boorstin suggest we created out of the need to express the specialness of that which is real, in Chapter 6 - Section III?
3. What type of book binding begins with the signatures of the book as loose pages which are then clamped together?
(d) Cross stitch.
4. What does Boorstin describe as a kind of pseudo-event, especially in the sense that they were "more vivid and more impressive than the spontaneous original"?
(d) News media.
5. What refers to the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something?
6. What term refers to that pertaining to one's own or a particular country as apart from other countries?
7. What is the third characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is passive.
(b) It is ambiguous.
(c) It is synthetic.
(d) It is believable.
8. Boorstin suggests that the graphic revolution and what else are mostly responsible for the abridgment and the mass production of art?
9. Boorstin writes that we are left with the "invention of experience" rather than its what?
10. When did P.T. Barnum purchase Scudder's American Museum?
11. What refers to inexpensive fiction magazines published from 1896 through the 1950s?
(a) Pulp fiction.
(b) Dirt fiction.
(c) Romance fiction.
(d) Dime store fiction.
12. Boorstin writes in Chapter 5 that "God himself becomes not a power but" what?
(a) A nonentity.
(b) An advertisement.
(c) An image.
(d) A myth.
13. In Chapter 6 - Section II, Boorstin warns that America has spent too much time attempting to "perfect our image rather than" what?
(b) Our foreign policy.
(c) Our politics.
(d) Our ideals.
14. What is the sixth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is ambiguous.
(b) It is believable.
(c) It is simplified.
(d) It is synthetic.
15. What refers to something that exists independently of ideas concerning it?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose best-known films are The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra, and The Greatest Show on Earth?
2. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin suggests that America return to its ____ and cease communicating with the rest of the world in image.
3. In Chapter 5 - Section IV, Boorstin states, "By sharpening our images we have blurred all our" what?
4. What is the fifth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
5. In Chapter 5 - Section V, Boorstin states that even ____ have become blurred because of the relentless drive of business and consumerism.
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)