|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invented the steam powered rotary printing press in 1843 in the United States?
(a) Johannes Gutenberg.
(b) Stephan Michaelson.
(c) Richard M. Hoe.
(d) Henry Watson.
2. Boorstin concludes that the United States in now locked in a pattern of "____" in which "we have fallen in love with our own image."
(b) Capitalist thought.
(c) Creative narcissism.
(d) Social narcissism.
3. The third aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
(a) Appeal of the self-fulfilling prophecy.
(c) Appeal of the contrived.
(d) Appeal of the half-intelligible.
4. Boorstin claims that in the effort to make art and literature accessible to all, these forms of expression were what?
5. What is the third characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is synthetic.
(b) It is passive.
(c) It is believable.
(d) It is ambiguous.
6. What refers to reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes?
7. In Chapter 6 - Section II, Boorstin warns that America has spent too much time attempting to "perfect our image rather than" what?
(a) Our ideals.
(b) Our foreign policy.
(d) Our politics.
8. Boorstin writes that the amount of dissociation has become so absolute that what no longer feels real?
(a) The pseudo-event.
(b) The natural.
(c) The pseudo-reality.
(d) The media.
9. What refers to the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something?
10. In Chapter 5 - Section IV, Boorstin describes how the appearance of advertising has caused a movement from focusing on truth to focusing on what?
11. What is the sixth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is ambiguous.
(b) It is simplified.
(c) It is believable.
(d) It is synthetic.
12. What refers to something that exists independently of ideas concerning it?
13. Boorstin suggests in Chapter 6 - Section III that Americans live in a sort of what?
14. Daniel J. Boorstin was appointed twelfth Librarian of the United States Congress from 1975 until when?
15. The second aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
(a) Appeal of the half-intelligible.
(b) Appeal of the contrived.
(d) Appeal of the self-fulfilling prophecy.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
2. What does Boorstin describe as a kind of pseudo-event, especially in the sense that they were "more vivid and more impressive than the spontaneous original"?
3. What does Boorstin assert arose spontaneously through "tradition, history, or by God,"are not made simple, are direct and active in the sense that they pull people forward?
4. Boorstin concludes Chapter 6 - Section V by stating that we must be able to reach beyond into novel experiences and ideas and thus become aware of our what?
5. Boorstin writes in Chapter 5 that "God himself becomes not a power but" what?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)