|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Boorstin writes in Chapter 6 - Section III, "We fill our lives not with experience but with the ____ of experience."
2. Whose best-known films are The Ten Commandments, Cleopatra, and The Greatest Show on Earth?
(a) Adolf Zukor.
(b) Mike Nichols.
(c) Cecil B. DeMille.
(d) Carl Laemmle.
3. Daniel J. Boorstin was appointed twelfth Librarian of the United States Congress from 1975 until when?
4. What French sociologist, philosopher, cultural theorist, and photographer is frequently associated with postmodernism and post-structuralism?
(a) Jean Michele Foucault.
(b) Jean Francois.
(c) Jean Baudrillard.
(d) Michael Foucault.
5. What refers to purpose or attitude toward the effect of one's actions or conduct?
6. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin suggests that America return to its ____ and cease communicating with the rest of the world in image.
7. In Chapter 6 - Section II, Boorstin warns that America has spent too much time attempting to "perfect our image rather than" what?
(a) Our politics.
(c) Our ideals.
(d) Our foreign policy.
8. What refers to theatrical performances presented in one of the 40 large professional theaters with 500 seats or more located in the Theater District, New York?
(a) Main Stage.
(d) West End.
9. What is the science of language, including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics?
(a) Media studies.
10. What is the sixth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is synthetic.
(b) It is believable.
(c) It is ambiguous.
(d) It is simplified.
11. What refers to a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing, photographed, painted, sculptured, or otherwise made visible?
12. What refers to reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes?
13. Who invented the steam powered rotary printing press in 1843 in the United States?
(a) Henry Watson.
(b) Richard M. Hoe.
(c) Stephan Michaelson.
(d) Johannes Gutenberg.
14. Boorstin claims that in the effort to make art and literature accessible to all, these forms of expression were what?
15. What refers to the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something?
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin begins Chapter 5 - Section II discussing the differences between "ideal-thinking" and what?
2. What company advertised the fact that the bottles were "steam-sterilized," neglecting to mention the fact that all the other beer companies used the same process?
3. What is the fifth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
4. Boorstin states, regarding foreign affairs, "I suspect we suffer abroad simply because people know America through" what?
5. Boorstin concludes Chapter 6 - Section V by stating that we must be able to reach beyond into novel experiences and ideas and thus become aware of our what?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)