|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Boorstin writes that the amount of dissociation has become so absolute that what no longer feels real?
(a) The media.
(b) The pseudo-event.
(c) The natural.
(d) The pseudo-reality.
2. What does Boorstin assert arose spontaneously through "tradition, history, or by God,"are not made simple, are direct and active in the sense that they pull people forward?
3. What is the name of a small press capable of printing small-format pieces such as billheads, letterheads, business cards, and envelopes?
(a) Needle press.
(b) Letterhead press.
(c) Jobbing press.
(d) Probing press.
4. Boorstin claims that in the effort to make art and literature accessible to all, these forms of expression were what?
5. What major movie studio did Carl Laemmle originate?
(a) General Film Company.
(b) Paramount Pictures.
(c) Universal Studios.
6. In Chapter 5, Boorstin asserts that we have made a shift from moral value to what value?
7. What refers to purpose or attitude toward the effect of one's actions or conduct?
8. Boorstin writes in Chapter 6 - Section III, "We fill our lives not with experience but with the ____ of experience."
9. What refers to something that is changed or modified to suit new conditions or needs?
10. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin suggests that America return to its ____ and cease communicating with the rest of the world in image.
11. What refers to the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something?
12. What word does Boorstin suggest we created out of the need to express the specialness of that which is real, in Chapter 6 - Section III?
13. What is the fourth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is ambiguous.
(b) It is believable.
(c) It is synthetic.
(d) It is vivid.
14. What refers to something that exists independently of ideas concerning it?
15. When does Boorstin say books began to be made cheaper, due to a variety of factors, in Chapter 4 - Section I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What system does Boorstin assert affected "traditional forms of achievement," in Chapter 4 - Section VIII?
2. What refers to a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing, photographed, painted, sculptured, or otherwise made visible?
3. What production company, recognizing that actors and actresses would demand higher pay if they became well known, refused to give their names?
4. What is the first characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
5. Where is Reader's Digest based?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)