|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The third aspect of successful advertising discussed by Boorstin in Chapter 5 - Section IV is what?
(a) Appeal of the self-fulfilling prophecy.
(b) Appeal of the contrived.
(c) Appeal of the half-intelligible.
2. What states that the more we create images to "expand experience" the more we inevitably narrow experience?
(a) The mirror effect.
(b) The pseudo-effect.
(c) The smoke effect.
(d) The pseufo-event.
3. When does Boorstin say books began to be made cheaper, due to a variety of factors, in Chapter 4 - Section I?
4. What refers to something that is changed or modified to suit new conditions or needs?
5. Daniel J. Boorstin was appointed twelfth Librarian of the United States Congress from 1975 until when?
6. What refers to theatrical performances presented in one of the 40 large professional theaters with 500 seats or more located in the Theater District, New York?
(b) West End.
(d) Main Stage.
7. Boorstin suggests in Chapter 6 - Section III that Americans live in a sort of what?
8. In Chapter 6 - Section I, Boorstin suggests that America return to its ____ and cease communicating with the rest of the world in image.
9. Boorstin states, regarding foreign affairs, "I suspect we suffer abroad simply because people know America through" what?
10. Boorstin suggests we are in danger if we forget that the experiences which can't be captured by the camera can still be captured in a what?
11. Boorstin writes in Chapter 6 - Section III, "We fill our lives not with experience but with the ____ of experience."
12. What refers to reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes?
13. What is the name of a small press capable of printing small-format pieces such as billheads, letterheads, business cards, and envelopes?
(a) Jobbing press.
(b) Probing press.
(c) Needle press.
(d) Letterhead press.
14. What production company, recognizing that actors and actresses would demand higher pay if they became well known, refused to give their names?
(a) General Film Company.
(b) Paramount Pictures.
(c) Universal Studios.
15. What book by Walter Lippman does Boorstin discuss in Chapter 5 - Section VI?
(a) Beyond Good and Evil.
(b) Public Opinion.
(c) Mein Kampf.
(d) The Origins of Family.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6 - Section II, Boorstin warns that America has spent too much time attempting to "perfect our image rather than" what?
2. What editor and co-editor of Publishers' Weekly guided the publication through much of the 20th century?
3. In Chapter 5 - Section IV, Boorstin describes how the appearance of advertising has caused a movement from focusing on truth to focusing on what?
4. What is the first characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
5. What is the fifth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)