|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people were aboard Thomas Cook's first train tour to Scotland?
2. In what year was Charles Lindbergh's infant son kidnapped and murdered in the "Crime of the Century"?
3. When was the hotel coupon introduced to the touring industry in London?
4. What term refers to widespread reputation, especially of a favorable character of renown and public eminence?
5. Boorstin opens Chapter 3 - Section VI talking about the changes in our understanding of time and what?
6. What was the departure site for Charles Lindbergh's historic monoplane flight across the Atlantic Ocean ?
(a) Roosevelt Field, NY.
(b) Fort Williams Field, NC.
(c) Lockton Field, NY.
(d) Anderson Field, MA.
7. Where was Al Capone born?
(a) Queens, NY.
(b) Booklyn, NY.
(c) Naperville, IL.
(d) Chicago, IL.
8. When was Thomas Cook born?
9. Who wrote Mein Kampf?
(a) Friedrich Engels.
(b) Adolph Hitler.
(c) Benito Mussolini.
(d) Friedrich Nietzsche.
10. What form of travel, initiated by Thomas Cook, had the traveler go independently, while Cook's agency charged for travel, food, and accommodation for a fixed period over any chosen route?
(a) Interactive independent travel.
(b) Independent travel.
(c) Inclusive independent travel.
(d) Exclusive independent travel.
11. What book of Walter Lippman's does Boorstin cite, in Chapter 1 - Section V?
(a) The Origins of Family.
(b) Mein Kampf.
(c) Sociological Justices.
(d) Public Opinion.
12. Boorstin asserts that the influx of pseudo-events has caused the confusion of participant and what roles?
13. How many cars were registered in the United States in 1900?
14. When did Karl Baedeker die?
15. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) From Hero to Celebrity: The Human Pseudo-event.
(b) From Shapes to Shadows: Dissolving Forms.
(c) From News Gathering to News Making: A Flood of Pseudo-events.
(d) From Traveler to Tourist: The Lost Art of Travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to the process of making something commercial?
2. What term refers to that which is not participating readily or actively?
3. With whom did Thomas Cook form a partnership and rename the travel agency as Thomas Cook and Son?
4. What was the familiar hallmark of Baedeker guides?
5. Where was Karl Baedeker born?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)