|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his argument in Chapter 2 - Section IV, what does Boorstin suggest are created by the media?
2. Boorstin posits that in addition to destroying old heroes ____ has made it difficult to create and recognize new heroes.
(a) News media.
(d) The printing press.
3. What, according to the author, is always in the present and requires a constant stream of publicity and pseudo-events to maintain its status?
(a) Public favor.
(c) Political favor.
4. What was the familiar hallmark of Baedeker guides?
(a) Blue binding.
(b) Red binding.
(c) Yellow binding.
(d) Green binding.
5. What refers to a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position?
6. How much were tickets on Thomas Cook's first train tour?
(a) Five shillings.
(b) One shilling.
(c) Ten shillings.
(d) One pence.
7. In what year did Karl Baedeker start his publishing company?
8. Where was Al Capone born?
(a) Queens, NY.
(b) Booklyn, NY.
(c) Naperville, IL.
(d) Chicago, IL.
9. What were Thomas Cook's circular notes better known as?
(a) Traveler's Cheques.
(b) Travel coupons.
(c) Credit cards.
(d) Credit slips.
10. What was the distance of Charles Lindbergh's historic monoplane flight across the Atlantic?
(a) 2,500 miles.
(b) 3,000 miles.
(c) 3,600 miles.
(d) 4,000 miles.
11. Who did Charles Lindbergh marry?
(a) Anne Morrow.
(b) Sarah Morrow.
(c) Elizabeth Winchester.
(d) Mary Anne Doherty.
12. The argument is made, in Chapter 3 - Section IV, that the objects in museums were ____ from the homes of the wealthy and famous to be available for all to view.
13. What name referred to Stalin's campaign to purge the Communist Party of people accused of sabotage, terrorism, or treachery?
(a) The Great Cleansing.
(b) The Great Purge.
(c) The Great Famine.
(d) The Grand Inquisition.
14. What political party did Benito Mussolini lead?
(a) The Nazi Party.
(b) The Italian Nationalist Party.
(c) The Whig Party.
(d) National Fascist Party.
15. What term refers to that which is not participating readily or actively?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to widespread reputation, especially of a favorable character of renown and public eminence?
2. In Chapter 1 - Section IV, Boorstin uses an example from the 1950s in which a story was released about an imminent attack by whom?
3. In Chapter 1 - Section IV, Boorstin discusses the formation of what as a communication device for government officials?
4. Boorstin states, in Chapter 3 - Section I, that in today's travel there is very little what?
5. In Chapter 1 - Section II, Boorstin discusses the temptation of newsmen to make images that were what?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)