|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who opened the first motel as a new form of accommodation in Memphis, Tennessee in 1952?
(a) Kemmons Wilson.
(b) Conrad Hilton.
(c) William Berkshire.
(d) James Anderson.
2. What is the official log of the proceedings and debates of the United States Congress?
(a) Record of the Congressional Committee.
(b) Congressional Record.
(c) Presidential Congressional Record.
(d) House Record.
3. What was the distance of Charles Lindbergh's historic monoplane flight across the Atlantic?
(a) 3,000 miles.
(b) 4,000 miles.
(c) 2,500 miles.
(d) 3,600 miles.
4. When was Mein Kampf published?
5. When did Karl Baedeker institute a star system in his travel guides?
6. Established by Boorstin, what is the third way pseudo-events can overshadow real or spontaneous events?
(a) They are less dramatic.
(b) They are more dramatic.
(c) They can be repeated.
(d) They are easier to distribute.
7. What term is used in semiotics and postmodern philosophy to describe a hypothetical inability of consciousness to distinguish reality from fantasy?
8. Boorstin states, in Chapter 3 - Section I, that in today's travel there is very little what?
9. When was the hotel coupon introduced to the touring industry in London?
10. What does Boorstin call "a person who is known for his well-knownness"?
11. In Chapter 1 - Section II, Boorstin discusses the temptation of newsmen to make images that were what?
(c) Aligned politically.
12. In what year did Thomas Cook's train tours first go to Scotland?
13. When did Karl Baedeker die?
14. What form of travel, initiated by Thomas Cook, had the traveler go independently, while Cook's agency charged for travel, food, and accommodation for a fixed period over any chosen route?
(a) Exclusive independent travel.
(b) Independent travel.
(c) Interactive independent travel.
(d) Inclusive independent travel.
15. In what year did popular publications print articles showing the car was cheaper to operate than the horse?
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin relates pre-packaged travel to what activity, in Chapter 3 - Section I?
2. How many people were aboard Thomas Cook's first train tour to Scotland?
3. Who developed a technique of calling morning press conferences to announce afternoon press conferences in order to enhance his prestige?
4. According to Walter Lippman, a ____ is a way of giving rapid meaning to an external person or situation to help one orient to a world full of confusing and overwhelming experiences.
5. Boorstin posits that in addition to destroying old heroes ____ has made it difficult to create and recognize new heroes.
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)