|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Boorstin states that psychological analysis has effectively turned the actions of heroes into compensations for what?
(a) Internal psychopathology.
(b) Internal insignificance.
(c) Internal neurosis.
(d) Internal psychology.
2. What was the name of the plane that Charles Lindbergh made his flight across the Atlantic in?
(a) The Spirit of St. Louis.
(b) The Lucky Lindy.
(c) The Spirit of America.
(d) The Lindbergh Jewel.
3. Boorstin posits that in addition to destroying old heroes ____ has made it difficult to create and recognize new heroes.
(a) The printing press.
(b) News media.
4. Boorstin suggests, in Chapter 1 - Section V, that the advances made in American society have served to "blur the edges of" what?
5. What refers to a tendency in contemporary culture characterized by the rejection of objective truth and global cultural narrative or meta-narrative?
6. With whom did Charles Lindbergh sign a contract for his story of the famous monoplane flight?
(a) Chicago Tribune.
(b) USA Today.
(d) New York Times.
7. How many main "extravagant expectations" does Boorstin posit Americans hold?
8. In his argument in Chapter 2 - Section IV, what does Boorstin suggest create themselves?
9. When was Adolf Hitler born?
10. What was the departure site for Charles Lindbergh's historic monoplane flight across the Atlantic Ocean ?
(a) Anderson Field, MA.
(b) Roosevelt Field, NY.
(c) Fort Williams Field, NC.
(d) Lockton Field, NY.
11. What does Boorstin assert has been provided in exotic locations, in Chapter 3 - Section IV?
(a) Tour guides.
(b) Money exchange stations.
(c) Exotic restaurants.
(d) Local atmosphere.
12. When was Al Capone indicted for income tax evasion and various violations of the Volstead Act?
13. What refers to a person or thing that draws, allures, or entices?
14. In what year did Karl Baedeker start his publishing company?
15. What first superintendent of the New Jersey State Police was best known for his involvement in the Lindbergh kidnapping case?
(a) Anderson Williams.
(b) Norman Schwarzkopf.
(c) Paul Skawinski.
(d) Michael Jameson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second of the "extravagant expectations" held by Americans, according to Boorstin?
2. Who wrote Mein Kampf?
3. How many people were aboard Thomas Cook's first train tour to Scotland?
4. What is the official log of the proceedings and debates of the United States Congress?
5. What was one of Charles Lindbergh's nicknames?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)