|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pseudo-events tend to do what to the human experience, according to Boorstin?
(a) Objectify it.
(b) Narrow it.
(c) Diminish it.
(d) Embellish it.
2. When was Al Capone indicted for income tax evasion and various violations of the Volstead Act?
3. When did Charles Lindbergh make his famous flight across the Atlantic?
4. Adolf Hitler became Chancellor of Germany in what year?
5. What were Thomas Cook's circular notes better known as?
(a) Traveler's Cheques.
(b) Travel coupons.
(c) Credit slips.
(d) Credit cards.
6. When was Charles Lindbergh born?
7. What does Boorstin assert has been provided in exotic locations, in Chapter 3 - Section IV?
(a) Tour guides.
(b) Exotic restaurants.
(c) Local atmosphere.
(d) Money exchange stations.
8. In Chapter 1 - Section II, Boorstin discusses the temptation of newsmen to make images that were what?
(c) Aligned politically.
9. When did Al Capone die?
10. What is the first aspect of a pseudo-event, according to Boorstin?
(a) Its purpose is to be recreated or reported.
(b) It is ambiguous.
(c) It is intended as a self-fulfilling prophecy.
(d) It is intentionally created.
11. Who wrote Mein Kampf?
(a) Adolph Hitler.
(b) Benito Mussolini.
(c) Friedrich Nietzsche.
(d) Friedrich Engels.
12. Karl Baedeker followed the model of English guide books instituted by whom?
(a) John Murray.
(b) James Anderson.
(c) Michael Miller.
(d) Thomas Cook.
13. In his argument in Chapter 2 - Section IV, what does Boorstin suggest create themselves?
14. When did Joseph Stalin assume the role of head of state of Russia?
15. What does Boorstin call "a person who is known for his well-knownness"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1 - Section V, Boorstin discusses a change in the way people relate to truth and to what?
2. In what year did urban tourism in America become a profitable industry, as the number of tour agencies, railroad passenger departments, guidebook publishers, and travel writers grew at a fast pace?
3. When was Benito Mussolini born?
4. Where was Karl Baedeker born?
5. What book of Walter Lippman's does Boorstin cite, in Chapter 1 - Section V?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)