|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What first superintendent of the New Jersey State Police was best known for his involvement in the Lindbergh kidnapping case?
(a) Anderson Williams.
(b) Paul Skawinski.
(c) Norman Schwarzkopf.
(d) Michael Jameson.
2. When was Mein Kampf published?
3. In Chapter 1 - Section V, Boorstin discusses a change in the way people relate to truth and to what?
4. What term means to make uniform or similar, as in composition or function?
5. When did Thomas Cook conduct his first train tour?
6. What does Boorstin assert inevitably give a false representation of a country because they have been specially selected and taken from context?
(a) Tourist attractions.
(c) Tour guides.
(d) The media.
7. What title did Mussolini go by after 3 years in office as Prime Minister?
(a) Mein Furor.
(b) Il Capitain.
(c) Il Deuce.
(d) Il Furor.
8. What was one of Charles Lindbergh's nicknames?
(a) Lucky Chuck.
(b) The Flyer.
(d) Lucky Lindy.
9. What is the third characteristic of the pseudo-event, according to Boorstin?
(a) Its purpose is to be recreated or reported.
(b) It is intended as a self-fulfilling prophecy.
(c) It is intentionally created.
(d) It is ambiguous.
10. Established by Boorstin, what is the second way pseudo-events can overshadow real or spontaneous events?
(a) They can be repeated.
(b) They are less dramatic.
(c) They are easier to distribute.
(d) They are more dramatic.
11. What is the second quality of the pseudo-event described by Boorstin?
(a) It is intentionally created.
(b) Its purpose is to be recreated or reported.
(c) It is ambiguous.
(d) It is intended as a self-fulfilling prophecy.
12. What term is used in semiotics and postmodern philosophy to describe a hypothetical inability of consciousness to distinguish reality from fantasy?
13. Boorstin suggests, in Chapter 1 - Section V, that the advances made in American society have served to "blur the edges of" what?
14. Adolf Hitler became Chancellor of Germany in what year?
15. What was the name of the plane that Charles Lindbergh made his flight across the Atlantic in?
(a) The Lucky Lindy.
(b) The Spirit of America.
(c) The Lindbergh Jewel.
(d) The Spirit of St. Louis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boorstin posits that in addition to destroying old heroes ____ has made it difficult to create and recognize new heroes.
2. What is the first aspect of a pseudo-event, according to Boorstin?
3. When did Mussolini become the Prime Minister of Italy?
4. In his argument in Chapter 2 - Section IV, what does Boorstin suggest are created by the media?
5. In Chapter 1 - Section IV, Boorstin uses an example from the 1950s in which a story was released about an imminent attack by whom?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)