|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 - Section IV-VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Boorstin posits that in addition to destroying old heroes ____ has made it difficult to create and recognize new heroes.
(a) The printing press.
(c) News media.
2. What first superintendent of the New Jersey State Police was best known for his involvement in the Lindbergh kidnapping case?
(a) Michael Jameson.
(b) Anderson Williams.
(c) Norman Schwarzkopf.
(d) Paul Skawinski.
3. When did Joseph Stalin assume the role of head of state of Russia?
4. What is the second quality of the pseudo-event described by Boorstin?
(a) Its purpose is to be recreated or reported.
(b) It is ambiguous.
(c) It is intentionally created.
(d) It is intended as a self-fulfilling prophecy.
5. Who developed a technique of calling morning press conferences to announce afternoon press conferences in order to enhance his prestige?
(a) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(b) Joseph McCarthy.
(c) Dwight Eisenhower.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many main "extravagant expectations" does Boorstin posit Americans hold?
2. In his argument in Chapter 2 - Section IV, what does Boorstin suggest are created by the media?
3. Who invented the steam powered rotary printing press in 1843 in the United States?
4. What does Boorstin call "a person who is known for his well-knownness"?
5. What word means to represent concretely, to externalize?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)