|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 - Section IV-VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the sixth characteristic of the image, according to Boorstin?
(a) It is ambiguous.
(b) It is believable.
(c) It is simplified.
(d) It is synthetic.
2. Where was Karl Baedeker observed to drop a pea on every twentieth step of the staircase to the roof, so he could report the number of steps accurately?
(a) Milan Cathedral.
(b) St. Patrick Cathedral.
(c) The Louvre.
(d) The Sistine Chapel.
3. What refers to a tendency in contemporary culture characterized by the rejection of objective truth and global cultural narrative or meta-narrative?
4. How many main "extravagant expectations" does Boorstin posit Americans hold?
5. What does Boorstin call "a person who is known for his well-knownness"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to the process of making something commercial?
2. In what year did Thomas Cook's train tours first go to Scotland?
3. What does Boorstin assert arose spontaneously through "tradition, history, or by God,"are not made simple, are direct and active in the sense that they pull people forward?
4. What refers to inexpensive fiction magazines published from 1896 through the 1950s?
5. When was Mein Kampf published?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)