|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Concrete Mixer", what does the band play as the Martians prepare to land on Earth?
2. Whom does Poe want Bierce to warn about the rocket coming to Mars?
3. What disease does Saul Williams have that put him in quarantine on Mars?
4. How long has Bodoni worked in his junk yard?
5. Where are William and Susan Travis from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Machen say would happen to the banned authors if all their works were destroyed?
2. Why has the city waited twenty thousand years for men from Earth?
3. Why does Ettil believe that a Martian invasion of Earth will fail?
4. What time does the narrator finish seeing the stories on the Illustrated Man?
5. What does Braling 2 do with Braling?
6. Why are men exiled to Mars in "The Visitor"?
7. Why must clients of Marionettes, Inc., be pledged to secrecy?
8. In "The Exiles", what did the captain dream every night until the week they took off from Earth?
9. What tattoo begins to form after the narrator has seen the stories on the Illustrated Man?
10. Why does Saul Williams kidnap Leonard Mark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether the Martians win or the people of earth win when the Martians invade the earth in "The Concrete Mixer". Use examples from the story to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Veldt", technology becomes dangerous. Discuss the threat of ever-increasing technology, using examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why in "The Veldt" the children become dependent upon the house and nursery instead of their parents. Use examples from the story.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)